October 24, 2014, 11:17:56 PM

Author Topic: Are you really serious about 6D?  (Read 38860 times)

hemidesign

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Are you really serious about 6D?
« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2012, 03:37:07 AM »
My 6D arrived few days ago.. and I can say.. WOW!
comparing my 6D with my old 40D and 1DS mk3:

6D focuses with more accuracy than my 1Dsmk3 body and 40D, I did many test shots.. using 2 lenses: 35mm f1.4L and 135mm f2L at day and night, no external flash, just using one shot mode and center point focus, only!
here we go..

day

6D 93%
40D 68%
1DS mk3 90%

night

6D 94% + accurate focus, dead on!
40D 2% + focus hunting
1Ds mk3 12% + focus hunting

Chuck Westfall from Canon USA says:
The 6D is 95% improved over the 5D II, specially in the center point AF down to -3EV, and, it refreshingly gets the shortest Canon DSLR name we've seen in many years - one confirming a new model line. He emphasized that Canon's goal for the EOS 6D was cleaner pixel-level image quality. "From what I'm seeing, they were quite successful. The 6D advantage builds as the ISO setting increases. The difference becomes rather easy to see at ISO 3200 and the 6D's lead continues building until it leaves the 5D II in the dust at ISO 51200."

Bryan from the-digital-picture says:
I can focus the 6D's center point on a subject with reasonable contrast down until auto exposure gives me a setting of 160 at 10 seconds and f/2.8 (really dark) with the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II USM Lens mounted (note that the 6D's metering range spec is listed at EV 1-20). The Canon EOS 1D X's center point could not focus on the same subject with the same lens mounted. Note that the 6D focuses very slowly under these dismal lighting conditions - but locking slowly is far better than failing to lock.

My conclusion is.. the Canon 6D is one of the best cameras ever made by Canon.. why?

1- phenomenal center point AF system, down to -3EV, just awesome!
2- very low noise in high ISO, best from any Canon camera to date
3- full frame in a lightweight body
4- low power consumption from a SDHC (and affordable) card
5- silent shooting mode
6- white balance is outstanding.. the color tone BLOWS AWAY from my 1Ds mk3 and 40D
7- first camera with wi-fi and gps built in..
8- made with plastic?.. oh yeah! (but don't forget, just the top of the camera uses plastic, for the gps and wi-fi reception signal).. The Canon 6D uses a ABS (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) and polycarbonate mixed.. "Polycarbonate / ABS is a durable material. Although it has high impact-resistance, it has low scratch-resistance and so a hard coating" by Wikipedia
9- ouch!! :o
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 03:08:21 AM by hemidesign »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2012, 03:37:07 AM »

webphoto

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2012, 12:24:08 PM »
comparing my 6D with my old 40D and 1DS mk3:

6D focuses with more accuracy than my 1Dsmk3 body and 40D, I did many test shots.. using 2 lenses: 35mm f1.4L and 135mm f2L at day and night, no external flash, just using one shot mode and center point focus, only!
here we go..

day

6D 93%
40D 68%
1DS mk3 90%

night

6D 94% + accurate focus, dead on!
40D 2% + focus hunting
1Ds mk3 12% + focus hunting

Chuck Westfall from Canon USA says:
The 6D is 95% improved over the 5D II, specially in the center point AF down to -3EV, and, it refreshingly gets the shortest Canon DSLR name we've seen in many years - one confirming a new model line. He emphasized that Canon's goal for the EOS 6D was cleaner pixel-level image quality. "From what I'm seeing, they were quite successful. The 6D advantage builds as the ISO setting increases. The difference becomes rather easy to see at ISO 3200 and the 6D's lead continues building until it leaves the 5D II in the dust at ISO 51200."

Bryan from the-digital-picture says:
I can focus the 6D's center point on a subject with reasonable contrast down until auto exposure gives me a setting of 160 at 10 seconds and f/2.8 (really dark) with the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II USM Lens mounted (note that the 6D's metering range spec is listed at EV 1-20). The Canon EOS 1D X's center point could not focus on the same subject with the same lens mounted. Note that the 6D focuses very slowly under these dismal lighting conditions - but locking slowly is far better than failing to lock.

My conclusion is.. the Canon 6D is one of the best cameras ever made by Canon.. why?

1- phenomenal center point AF system, down to -3EV, just awesome!
2- very low noise in high ISO, best from any Canon camera to date
3- full frame in a lightweight body
4- low power consumption from a SDHC (and affordable) card
5- silent shooting mode
6- white balance is outstanding.. the color tone BLOWS AWAY from my 1Ds mk3 and 40D
7- first camera with wi-fi and gps built in..
8- made with plastic?.. oh yeah!.. The Canon 6D uses a ABS (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) and polycarbonate mixed.. "Polycarbonate / ABS is a durable material. Although it has high impact-resistance, it has low scratch-resistance and so a hard coating" by Wikipedia
9- ouch!! :o

I couldn't agree more with you. I also bought a 6D and it is amazing. The IQ is very impressive.

This is a link to a picture of the 6D body. It was built solid.

http://www.engadget.com/gallery/canon-eos-6d-hands-on/5290674/

poias

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 29, 2012, 07:44:06 PM »
comparing my 6D with my old 40D and 1DS mk3

You cannot be serious about comparing to 10 year old cameras! That was precisely my point -- Canon fans (voluntary or those stuck) are getting hosed by the company , thus they are ecstatic about improvements like 1-point improved focus... hence my OT: are you really serious about 6D?

The only people who logically can get 6D are those Canon Crop users who have tons of pro/FF L glasses but cannot afford a 5D3. If you are upgrading to FF from Canon and are not beaming with L glasses already, the logical route is to jump to a BETTER brand anyway.

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2012, 07:54:45 PM »

You cannot be serious about comparing to 10 year old cameras! That was precisely my point -- Canon fans (voluntary or those stuck) are getting hosed by the company , thus they are ecstatic about improvements like 1-point improved focus... hence my OT: are you really serious about 6D?

The only people who logically can get 6D are those Canon Crop users who have tons of pro/FF L glasses but cannot afford a 5D3. If you are upgrading to FF from Canon and are not beaming with L glasses already, the logical route is to jump to a BETTER brand anyway.

I have a number you can call to present your thread topic over the phone.  Got a pen and paper?  Ok, here goes:

1-800-SOMEONE-WHO-GIVES-A-CRAP
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

webphoto

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2012, 08:55:36 PM »

I am not sure what do you mean by "BETTER brand". I hope you are not saying Nikon because I had to return my D600 due to dust/oil on the sensor. I bought a 6D and it is amazing. I am not sure what is your point.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 10:54:52 PM by webphoto »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2012, 09:03:12 PM »
I am not sure what do you mean by "BETTER brand". I hope you are not saying Nikon because I had return my D600 due to dust/oil on the sensor. I bought a 6D and it is amazing. i am not sure what is your point.

The point is to be a troll, which poias clearly is.  It's fun to feed them for a while, but soon becomes boring. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2012, 09:38:56 PM »
There's many reasons why I shouldn't buy 6D.

I'm sure there's many reason why some other people should buy 6D.

Telling people they shouldn't buy 6D, is like telling BicMac sucks because QB has better meat/price -ratio. Someone might have reasons to choose different than other people, and that's fine.

That said, I think anyone planning to buy 6D should do detailed comparison between 7D, 6D, 5D2 and 5D3. Any of those is a great camera for someone, depending on their needs. If 6D comes out winner, buy one. For me 6D is not a good choice.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2012, 09:38:56 PM »

aalbert

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Bad Kitty Studios
« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2012, 10:24:55 PM »
Received my 6D this week, and I am quite happy with it... Major upgrade from my 550D... Took it to a pro-photographer friends house - he shoots a 5DII, and after putting 150 shots on my camera, he was pretty impressed at the IQ and ISO performance.... he had mixed feeling on the autofocus speed, but that could have been a result of using the 24-105 in the evening hours.

Anyway, with a battery grip, it feels quite natural in the hands, and the rest of the features work pretty well for me..... Am I serious about it - yup, I paid the money to get it.
Camera: 6D w/VG, T2i w/VG
Lenses: 24-105L, 70-200 f4, 100L Macro, 100-400L,  28-135, 40mm Pancake, Tokina 11-16, Sigma Art 50mm 1.4
Flash: 580EX / 550EX, LumoPro 160, with Pocket Wizards, Broncolor Studio Strobes, Alien Bee 800/1600s, Kacey Enterprises Beauty Dish, Westcott Apollo Orb

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2012, 10:44:49 PM »
I am not sure what do you mean by "BETTER brand". I hope you are not saying Nikon because I had return my D600 due to dust/oil on the sensor. I bought a 6D and it is amazing. i am not sure what is your point.

The point is to be a troll, which poias clearly is.  It's fun to feed them for a while, but soon becomes boring.
You could be right here. But it could also be a cry for help.  :P

hemidesign

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 30, 2012, 03:01:53 AM »

I agree.. will become boring and might be kicked one day...  just saying....

salsaguy

« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2013, 02:30:35 AM »
Heres a good hands on review of the 6D stating its pros and cons:

http://froknowsphoto.com/canon-6d-review/
He agrees the lack of more cross type focus points is the big downer for this camera.

I myself upgraded from a Rebel T2i to the 60D due to the more/better cross type focus points and the built in off camera flash control on the 60D, which is great. Its a great camera

I would love to have a 6D as a 2nd body and have a FF body to compliment my crop sensor 60D, but going down in # of cross type sensors on such an expensive FF camera to me is a downgrade. They could have still kept the 6D lower on the totem pole compared to the 5DMk3 if they kept the 60D specs and just made it with a FF sensor. Lots of the Rebels now have better specs and features than the 6D.

Yes Canon is targeting the Rebel and XXD users who want to get into the FF arena but I think they left out some key high priority specs and instead added Wifi/GPS and some modern things to make it desireable to "some" but I think they left out many of those pro-sumer/advanced amateures who are in the know and wish the 6D had more, so they could have no reason NOT to go FF and get the 6D instead of giving us some concerns to add/upgrade to the 6D, like me.

The lack of a built in flash on a FF camera makes sense as most getting into FF know off off camera flash or external flash is the way to go.

So Im torn and may wait to see if the upgrade the 6D to some better specs down the road.

My 4 lenses are EF 50mm 1.8, EF 85mm 1.8, EF-S 15-85 zoom, EF-S 10-22mm zoom.

skitron

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 01, 2013, 01:18:16 PM »
He agrees the lack of more cross type focus points is the big downer for this camera...Lots of the Rebels now have better specs and features than the 6D...So Im torn and may wait to see if the upgrade the 6D to some better specs down the road.

FWIW, I went 60D (1 week) > 50D (2yrs) > 5D2 (1yr) > 6D (1 week) > 5D3 (1 month so far) and yes the lack of cross outers is a bit of a bummer on the 6D. But to try to help put it in perspective, I'd take the 6D AF over the 60D AF system any day, even if 60D had AFMA (the lack of which was a deal killer for me). The "give-away" on the outers is not much in actual practice IMO (as opposed to spec sheet) between these two bodies, while the 6D center is the best of the entire Canon lineup in both practice and spec, 6D has AFMA where 60D does not, 6D also has a simplified version of the "AF ballistics" found in 5D3 and 1DX where 60D has none. Plus 6D locks way faster than 60D.

I sent my 6D back due to a strong magenta shift in the RAWs and odd dynamic rendering. I have not seen that in other posted shots, so conclude mine was just a dud. I went 5D3 for the color rendering, moire-less video,  and wanted to try the expanded AF. I'll never go back to a lesser AF on my primary body now that I'm spoiled rotten with it. But again, to help put it in perspective, I would have been more than happy with the 6D AF system compared to what I had used in the past, and it spoiled me rotten too, just in a different way. LOL, I had to take a chill pill when it tried the 5D3 in very low light after experiencing the 6D.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 01:26:54 PM by skitron »
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

skitron

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 01, 2013, 02:25:25 PM »

LOL, despite the obvious trolling...

The D600 high ISO noise and bad color rendering are pretty nasty warts imo.

So maybe the better "logic" is if you want a nice general purpose camera that becomes a monster in bright light and you have good color correction in post and don't care about being able to shoot in low light, the D600 is a great choice. And the 6D is a great choice if you want a nice general purpose camera with good color rendering that becomes a total beast in low light, and maximum possible perfomance at ISO 100 is not as important to you.

Plus remember, neither a 6D nor D600 will melt, explode, crumble to dust, or otherwise self destruct if the other brand is sitting next to it in the closet or camera bag...nor will using both brands cause the photog to go insane, blind, commence projectile vomitting, or otherwise end up in the hospital or psych ward.  ;)

IMO, one could actually make a pretty good gear bag with one each of these bodies and a couple of lenses for each that exploits their strengths. JMO.
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: January 01, 2013, 02:25:25 PM »

eyeland

• Rebel T5i
  • Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...
    • View Profile
    • Creative Consulting & Multimedia artistry ;)
« Reply #103 on: January 01, 2013, 03:57:16 PM »
I for one am waiting for more tests of the non-center points AF on the 6D.
The outer points on my old rebel were rather useless and I surely did enjoy the AF of the 60D. I don't need many AF points, tracking or other fancy AF stuff for the work I do, but it surely is nice to have the option of off-center focus without having to recompose or crop.
Like so many others, I am well aware that the 5D3 is what I really want, and like so many others, the 5D3 is out of my price-range for the time being, and so, half time I manage to convince myself that the outer points on the 6D MUST perform better that the rebel AF. Surely, it could be that these non-cross type AF points are better that similarly labelled points in earlier cameras?
I am sure that the 6D center point is great, but I what I really need to know before pulling the trigger, is just HOW "bad" those outer points are.
Anyone with access to 6D and earlier AF systems up for doing a few simple tests of the peripheral AF points?
5DIII+ML // 24-105L - 70-200 2.8L/2.8 IS II - 35/2 IS //\  AF/non-AF film bodies and lenses. (and half a darkroom in boxes:))

BL

• Canon 6D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 01, 2013, 07:31:07 PM »
I for one am waiting for more tests of the non-center points AF on the 6D.
The outer points on my old rebel were rather useless and I surely did enjoy the AF of the 60D. I don't need many AF points, tracking or other fancy AF stuff for the work I do, but it surely is nice to have the option of off-center focus without having to recompose or crop.
Like so many others, I am well aware that the 5D3 is what I really want, and like so many others, the 5D3 is out of my price-range for the time being, and so, half time I manage to convince myself that the outer points on the 6D MUST perform better that the rebel AF. Surely, it could be that these non-cross type AF points are better that similarly labelled points in earlier cameras?
I am sure that the 6D center point is great, but I what I really need to know before pulling the trigger, is just HOW "bad" those outer points are.
Anyone with access to 6D and earlier AF systems up for doing a few simple tests of the peripheral AF points?

not sure what your experience is with the 5Dc or 5DII outer AF points, but here's what a user told me when I asked specifically about the 5Dc & 85L II combo (with outer AF points)

On my 6D it behaves very much similar to the way it did on my old 5D classic.... I wouldn't say it was impossible to get the shot, but it's just very very difficult to get a shot in focus if the subject is moving or is in a more challenging lighting situation. My 85L still works best on my 1D mark III and 5D mark III bodies. However, 85L with 6D's center point is so awesome, even indoors. I know it's been debated against many times, but I have a lot of success with center focus and recompose at f1.2. At times I notice the 5D mark III has difficulty indoors, even with the center point. But the 6D will lock better with center point at night when the 5D mark III can't or has much difficulty doing so, with just my 13 inch macbook pro lighting the entire room.
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: January 01, 2013, 07:31:07 PM »