September 30, 2014, 10:46:47 AM

Author Topic: Are you really serious about 6D?  (Read 38118 times)

Wildfire

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Are you really serious about 6D?
« Reply #105 on: January 02, 2013, 03:32:22 PM »
Anyone with access to 6D and earlier AF systems up for doing a few simple tests of the peripheral AF points?
I no longer have access to my 5D2 and T3i (just sold both) but I can tell you that the 6D outer AF points definitely feel better than the rebel, and probably better than the 5D2.

However, for me they are still not good enough to want to use them -- I still use the center AF point exclusively, as I did with the previous cameras.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: January 02, 2013, 03:32:22 PM »

kbmelb

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2013, 04:18:28 PM »
Why I am not excited about 6D even though IQ seems to be quite good;

Times used Center Focus point in the last 2 year: 0x

In fact I just picked a used 1DsIII to be a back up to my 5DIII. A lot of what I shoot is in very low light environments with moving subjects. These shoots even give my 5DIII fits so I decided to sell my 5DII and 1DsII and get the 1DsIII. If the III's AF is at least as good as the II's I'll be very happy.

eyeland

• Rebel T5i
  • Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...
    • View Profile
    • Creative Consulting & Multimedia artistry ;)
« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2013, 07:52:08 PM »
mm Tuff choice for us lovers of the peripheral points...
Guess it's time to find a shop to play around with the 6D and give the outer points one last chance before picking up another crop body while saving for a 5Dmk3.
5DIII+ML // 24-105L - 70-200 2.8L/2.8 IS II - 35/2 IS //\  AF/non-AF film bodies and lenses. (and half a darkroom in boxes:))

Radiating

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2013, 01:35:41 AM »
Please help me understand why people are excited about 6D? I cannot be excited about 97% VF, 1 x-pt AF, crippled 6D with wifi and facebook buttons. I will stick to a 5-year-old beloved 5D Mark II which is identical in IQ to Canon's newest sensors. Canon, you are not getting a dime of my money on your recent cameras. I have diversified my lenses so am not hostage to inferior sensors anymore.

You're missing the point of the 6D

Lenses are generally limited to around 22 megapixels of resolution, and no zoom has ever been made for 35mm that can exceed 21.3 megapixels over more than 15% of it's center frame.

The point therefore of the 6D is that it has less than HALF the noise of the 5D Mark II and 60% better shadow recovery while having enough megapixels for any lens or just under.

The 6D really shines at super high ISO though, at ISO 16,600, the 5D Mark II has the same ISO performance as the 6D at 51,200. Thats 3 times better high ISO, in addition to the 2 times less noise at low and medium ISO.

One might be mistaken to assume that the 6D has the same or equal resolution to the 5D Mark II, because it has 99% the linear resolution. This would be a mistake, the 6D has 13% MORE resolution due to an improved AA filter using the latest technology.

It's also lighter, smaller and has much better AF, the price will hit $1700 in 6 months too. Guaranteed.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 10:25:39 PM by Radiating »

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2013, 10:30:33 AM »

IMO, one could actually make a pretty good gear bag with one each of these bodies [6D & D600] and a couple of lenses for each that exploits their strengths. JMO.

That sounds eminently sensible, and with something like that in mind I rented both for several days over the New Year weekend, thinking that one or other would make a good companion for my 5DII.   For reasons explained in another thread I preferred the Canon in every respect that matters to me and actively disliked a few aspects of the Nikon (esp. the controls and relatively murky viewfinder), so I'll not be adding a Nikon.  But it's not hard to imagine that someone with different taste/priorities might conclude otherwise.

ashmadux

• Rebel T5i
  • Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
    • View Profile
    • Edward Ofori Photography
« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2013, 11:36:26 AM »

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/pipoujid/popular-interesting/

Great portfolio with stunning photos. I like them
I agree, very neat shots, cool, fun.  I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you own a macro lens and somehow got attached to it!   ;D

+3

these pics rock. Gotta love macro!
Be the best you, screw everything else.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2013, 05:33:33 PM »
You're missing the point of the 6D

Many people are missing the point - unlike the 5d2, the 6d is build to be able to be produced much cheaper - right now it's nearly 10% below the release price (€200 less than €1999) , and that after only about 2 weeks of general availability in Germany!

So it seems the 6d will stay well below the 5d3, maybe even more than the current €1000 - and might even reach the Nikon d600 level. And @€1600 the weaknesses may be seen in a more forgiving light, at least the 6d is able to focus with af assist in under 2-3 seconds :->

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2013, 05:33:33 PM »

dswatson83

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2013, 06:44:44 PM »
Here is a video review of the 6D...it's a bit of a mixed bag. The picture quality is on par or better than the 5D3 but everything else for the most part is limited...except for the additional wifi which I love and GPS which I could care less about. :
http://learningcameras.com/reviews/4-dslrs/91-canon-6d-review

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2013, 09:01:06 PM »
Please help me understand why people are excited about 6D? I cannot be excited about 97% VF, 1 x-pt AF, crippled 6D with wifi and facebook buttons. I will stick to a 5-year-old beloved 5D Mark II which is identical in IQ to Canon's newest sensors...

The 6D has a few IQ improvements over the 5D2 that ARE worthwhile.
100 and 200 ISO banding noise are almost completely eliminated compared to 5d2, my biggest complaint almost fixed.
6D's interface is better, center AF is better, quiet shutter is REALLY nice, hi ISO blows 5d2 away.

Lenses are generally limited to around 22 megapixels of resolution, and no zoom has ever been made for 35mm that can exceed 21.3 megapixels over more than 15% of it's center frame.
nope, plenty of good glass will outresolve even higher res sensors
my low cost Tamron 70-200/2.8 easily produces moire problems on my D800e, backing up what MR sez below. The lens is cheap cuz it's not well-featured but it IS sharp, end to end and right to the corners.
I have seen moire in pictures with a regular lens and a crop sensor 24Mp, equal to 54 Mp at a 24x36mm sensor
area, this means that the lens resolution are greater/ out resolves  the  sensor resolution.
The best lenses today handle  more than 54Mp .
More pixels gives also better tonal transitions, less jaggies, easier to correct CA, crop etc etc

The point therefore of the 6D is that it has less than HALF the noise of the 5D Mark III and 60% better shadow recovery while having enough megapixels for any lens or just under.

The 6D really shines at super high ISO though, at ISO 16,600, the 5D Mark II has the same ISO performance as the 6D at 51,200. Thats 3 times better high ISO, in addition to the 2 times less noise at low and medium ISO.

One might be mistaken to assume that the 6D has the same or equal resolution to the 5D Mark II, because it has 99% the linear resolution. This would be a mistake, the 6D has 13% MORE resolution due to an improved AA filter using the latest technology.

It's also lighter, smaller and has much better AF, the price will hit $1700 in 6 months too. Guaranteed.

+1
all good things over the 5d2 and even 5d3, depending on your requirements

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2013, 09:36:29 PM »
Why I am not excited about 6D even though IQ seems to be quite good;

Times used Center Focus point in the last 2 year: 0x

In fact I just picked a used 1DsIII to be a back up to my 5DIII. A lot of what I shoot is in very low light environments with moving subjects. These shoots even give my 5DIII fits so I decided to sell my 5DII and 1DsII and get the 1DsIII. If the III's AF is at least as good as the II's I'll be very happy.

You don't need 6D.  It's 5D3.

hemidesign

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 12, 2013, 01:03:12 AM »
I got 3.. LOL
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 01:05:04 AM by hemidesign »

x-vision

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 12, 2013, 01:16:26 AM »
I got 3.. LOL

You ARE serious about the 6D  8).

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2013, 04:01:21 AM »
I've been using the 7D as a 2nd body but am seriously considering selling it and buying a 6D instead simply for the IQ. Love the FF and because I don't make very large prints, I can forego the 1.6 magnification of the 7D.

At least I am excited about the 6D ;)
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2013, 04:01:21 AM »

Pitbullo

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2013, 06:09:17 AM »
Please help me understand why people are excited about 6D? I cannot be excited about 97% VF, 1 x-pt AF, crippled 6D with wifi and facebook buttons. I will stick to a 5-year-old beloved 5D Mark II which is identical in IQ to Canon's newest sensors. Canon, you are not getting a dime of my money on your recent cameras. I have diversified my lenses so am not hostage to inferior sensors anymore.

I am not excited about the 6D, even though I might end up buying one in a year or so. Depending on what´s avaliable. How come I´m not excited? Well, I dont think they built the camera to be as good as it could be. As a tool, reviews on its own it is probably very ver capable. Looking at it compared to other cameras, not much so. It cost a shedload of money, and still my Rebel has a faster flash sync speed. Also, the VF is not 100%. Outside the 5D2 (discontinued) is it the only dSLR without 100%? And the shutter, with maximum speed of 1/4000. Why? They already have the shutter in 5D3, why not use this? It has a silent mode, like 6D, and can do 1/8000. Using this in another camera model would only make it cheaper (bigger production numbers).
Inferior autofocus, poor weather sealing, all is OK. If we need better here we got the 5D3. The VF and sync speed is to me clearly made to make it worse, to make it fit in a gap in the market, instead of making the camera as good as it can be.
I dont know... because from what I see, the 6D performs great, with IQ second to none. And that quite annoys me, because if I bought it now it would be a great companion, but back in my head I´d always hear the voice saying it could have, and should have, been a little bit better specced.
The top models should distance themselves from the cheap models by way way better specs, not by making the cheaper models deliberately worse. (does that make sense?)
Anyway, as a hobbyist, I might end up with the 6D some day, due to not wanting to spend endless amount of money on a camera body. Walking straight in to Canons trap :)
Oh, BTW, I do love my Rebel!

eyeland

• Rebel T5i
  • Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...
    • View Profile
    • Creative Consulting & Multimedia artistry ;)
« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2013, 10:14:35 AM »
I am still trying to find a shop that will let me play with 60D/7D/6D head to head (or body to body) without much luck :(
Some optimistic part of my brain is still entertaining the belief that the non-X-type outer point AF points on the 6D are as good as the X-type points on the 60D or better.
The fear of inferior AF is the only thing that keeps me from being very serious about the 6D :)
5DIII+ML // 24-105L - 70-200 2.8L/2.8 IS II - 35/2 IS //\  AF/non-AF film bodies and lenses. (and half a darkroom in boxes:))

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2013, 10:14:35 AM »