April 24, 2014, 01:36:12 AM

Author Topic: Are you really serious about 6D?  (Read 33979 times)

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: Are you really serious about 6D?
« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2013, 11:33:49 AM »
Some optimistic part of my brain is still entertaining the belief that the non-X-type outer point AF points on the 6D are as good as the X-type points on the 60D or better.

Hope dies last :-) ... non-x sensors are prone to hunting if they cannot detect a pattern, and on the 6d they are only rated up to +0.5lv. But that really only matters if you have big aperture lenses like f2.8 and larger.

But how often did you really use the outer af points? If you use Lightroom, find out for yourself: Install the ExifMeta plugin, read the "selected af points" field from the files and have a look at the metadata panel!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2013, 11:33:49 AM »

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2013, 03:18:34 AM »
Some optimistic part of my brain is still entertaining the belief that the non-X-type outer point AF points on the 6D are as good as the X-type points on the 60D or better.

Hope dies last :-) ... non-x sensors are prone to hunting if they cannot detect a pattern, and on the 6d they are only rated up to +0.5lv. But that really only matters if you have big aperture lenses like f2.8 and larger.

But how often did you really use the outer af points? If you use Lightroom, find out for yourself: Install the ExifMeta plugin, read the "selected af points" field from the files and have a look at the metadata panel!
That sounds great, I've been thinking about how to be able to see the focus points in LR. Where can I download that plugin? Is it Adobe themselves that provide it?

thanks
J

JerryBruck

« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2013, 05:46:00 AM »
@Marsu42 & Hobby Shooter -- You don't need Adobe for this, Canon's free "ZoomBrowser" which comes with DPP and the rest, will show these points and the selected one in red: while viewing full screen in "zoom mode," click the View tab on top and select "Show Auto Focus Points".  Remember that the selected point will often appear in an odd place if you re-composed after locking focus.

eyeland

• Rebel T5i
  • Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...
    • View Profile
    • Creative Consulting & Multimedia artistry ;)
« Reply #123 on: January 15, 2013, 10:06:37 AM »
Thanks for the heads up on checking AF point usage! :)
I for one actually do use a few of the outer points alot..
5DIII+ML // 24-105L - 70-200 2.8L/2.8 IS II - 35/2 IS //\  AF/non-AF film bodies and lenses. (and half a darkroom in boxes:))

Marsu42

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #124 on: January 15, 2013, 12:33:25 PM »
You don't need Adobe for this, Canon's free "ZoomBrowser" which comes with DPP and the rest, will show these points and the selected one in red

... but does it give you the stats like LR+ExifMeta, like the number of centerpoint-only shots over your whole collection?

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #125 on: January 15, 2013, 07:42:34 PM »
@Marsu42 & Hobby Shooter -- You don't need Adobe for this, Canon's free "ZoomBrowser" which comes with DPP and the rest, will show these points and the selected one in red: while viewing full screen in "zoom mode," click the View tab on top and select "Show Auto Focus Points".  Remember that the selected point will often appear in an odd place if you re-composed after locking focus.
Ah, thanks for the info, but as my workflow isn't the most effective or professional I still would like to sort of have it all in one place. Guess also because I'm lazy  :P

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #126 on: January 15, 2013, 07:43:38 PM »
You don't need Adobe for this, Canon's free "ZoomBrowser" which comes with DPP and the rest, will show these points and the selected one in red

... but does it give you the stats like LR+ExifMeta, like the number of centerpoint-only shots over your whole collection?
Marsu, is it the Rob Cole plugin you are talking about? If so I will download and check it out. Thanks in advance.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #126 on: January 15, 2013, 07:43:38 PM »

Marsu42

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #127 on: January 16, 2013, 02:06:36 AM »
Marsu, is it the Rob Cole plugin you are talking about? If so I will download and check it out. Thanks in advance.

Yup, that's it - but don't select too many metadata fields to add because the plugin writes the data as plain text into the LR db and and thus the db size can go up a lot (there is no option to remove the fields afterwards).

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #128 on: January 16, 2013, 03:47:36 AM »

Yup, that's it - but don't select too many metadata fields to add because the plugin writes the data as plain text into the LR db and and thus the db size can go up a lot (there is no option to remove the fields afterwards).
Ah thanks, will have a look.

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 17, 2013, 08:22:02 AM »

Thanks for the heads up! I installed it today. Pretty interesting
Light is language!

eyeland

• Rebel T5i
  • Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...
    • View Profile
    • Creative Consulting & Multimedia artistry ;)
« Reply #130 on: January 17, 2013, 08:27:37 AM »
Very usable information, could someone point me towards a list or repository of LR plugs?
5DIII+ML // 24-105L - 70-200 2.8L/2.8 IS II - 35/2 IS //\  AF/non-AF film bodies and lenses. (and half a darkroom in boxes:))

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #131 on: February 06, 2013, 11:36:18 AM »
I'm loving the 6D's ability to be controlled wirelessly as it allows me to explore creative options and setups when I only have myself available as a model.

I did the following yesterday, 135L at f/2 (which at this distance the depth of field is truly tiny), but focus is nailed plus I could adjust lighting while staying in position with my iPad.  Very, very cool!

I Believe I Can Fly by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

iP337

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 07, 2013, 04:41:40 AM »
Please help me understand why people are excited about 6D? I cannot be excited about 97% VF, 1 x-pt AF, crippled 6D with wifi and facebook buttons. I will stick to a 5-year-old beloved 5D Mark II which is identical in IQ to Canon's newest sensors. Canon, you are not getting a dime of my money on your recent cameras. I have diversified my lenses so am not hostage to inferior sensors anymore.

I am not excited about the 6D, even though I might end up buying one in a year or so. Depending on what´s avaliable. How come I´m not excited? Well, I dont think they built the camera to be as good as it could be. As a tool, reviews on its own it is probably very ver capable. Looking at it compared to other cameras, not much so. It cost a shedload of money, and still my Rebel has a faster flash sync speed. Also, the VF is not 100%. Outside the 5D2 (discontinued) is it the only dSLR without 100%? And the shutter, with maximum speed of 1/4000. Why? They already have the shutter in 5D3, why not use this? It has a silent mode, like 6D, and can do 1/8000. Using this in another camera model would only make it cheaper (bigger production numbers).
Inferior autofocus, poor weather sealing, all is OK. If we need better here we got the 5D3. The VF and sync speed is to me clearly made to make it worse, to make it fit in a gap in the market, instead of making the camera as good as it can be.
I dont know... because from what I see, the 6D performs great, with IQ second to none. And that quite annoys me, because if I bought it now it would be a great companion, but back in my head I´d always hear the voice saying it could have, and should have, been a little bit better specced.
The top models should distance themselves from the cheap models by way way better specs, not by making the cheaper models deliberately worse. (does that make sense?)
Anyway, as a hobbyist, I might end up with the 6D some day, due to not wanting to spend endless amount of money on a camera body. Walking straight in to Canons trap :)
Oh, BTW, I do love my Rebel!

You make good points.  I agree more or less, though I am a bit excited about the 6D and plan to get one.  I think it has great potential (with magic lantern) and has great value for it's price.  I hated the 5D2 because it was overpriced, and I prefer to think of this as Canon trying to make good on that; the 5D2 was always worth $1500 and this is just the 5D2 with some of today's advances (noise ratios and video codecs mostly) for the price it should have been the whole time. 

The real reason for the 6D of course is that Nikon made the D600 and Canon knew that the 5D2 wouldn't stand a chance against it and it would grab that huge chunk of the market share the 5D2 was entitled to.  So they made an updated 5D2 with just enough upgrades to keep Nikon from taking all the sales but at the same time not take 5D3 sales.  But like I said, I prefer to see it as Canon making up for selling essentially the same thing a few months ago for an outrageously inflated price :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #132 on: February 07, 2013, 04:41:40 AM »

xps

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 08, 2013, 06:39:38 PM »
I just returned from an meeting of our local photoclub and I am a little bit dissatisfied.
Three members bought an 6D and we compared the pics. And they are really different. They took the same lens to shoot equal macro photos. The IQ is visible different. One cam had obiously more noise >400, the other one´s IQ was visibly more flat (color and contrast).
The owners of the 6D will tra to send it to Canon to optimize the IQ.

In my eyes it ist dissatisfying, if you spend 2000€ and a lot of time in choosing the "right" camera. And then it is just fortune if you get an goog model or not.
Sorry, but I had to say this.

p.s.: There is one person owning an brand new Nikon 5200. There is an really good idea in showing the aperture and speed by making it graphically visible on the display. 

PoulStaugaard

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 09, 2013, 04:42:58 PM »
I just returned from an meeting of our local photoclub and I am a little bit dissatisfied.
Three members bought an 6D and we compared the pics. And they are really different. They took the same lens to shoot equal macro photos. The IQ is visible different. One cam had obiously more noise >400, the other one´s IQ was visibly more flat (color and contrast).
The owners of the 6D will tra to send it to Canon to optimize the IQ.

In my eyes it ist dissatisfying, if you spend 2000€ and a lot of time in choosing the "right" camera. And then it is just fortune if you get an goog model or not.
Sorry, but I had to say this.
It is very unlikely that the cameras are at fault for the difference. I'm quite happy with mine.

As to whether Canon deliberately made it a lesser camera than they could have, yes and no: They naturally made it to a specific cost, that would allow them to manufacture and sell it with a healthy margin, in a way that doesn't hurt the sale of the 5D III too much. Shaving a third off the cost of the 5D III means a lot of cost cutting. The only compromise I disagree with is the smaller screen, it looks like they could have fitted the 3.2" unit. If dropping the GPS could have paid for that, they should have. But they clearly see it as the enthusiast traveller's camera, and as such it does make perfect sense.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #134 on: February 09, 2013, 04:42:58 PM »