April 25, 2014, 12:06:12 AM

Author Topic: Anything shot with a 6D  (Read 146230 times)

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
Re: Anything shot with a 6D
« Reply #225 on: June 18, 2013, 12:48:29 PM »
First time making pizza at home.

Nice shot.  Good color and nice, smooth bokeh
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #225 on: June 18, 2013, 12:48:29 PM »

dexstrose

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 18, 2013, 01:16:08 PM »
Thanks Dustin!

I'm trying to get a understanding of the 50mm 1.4. I'm having so much fun with it since its the only lens I have that opens that wide.

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 18, 2013, 06:10:49 PM »
My first lightning shoot with my 6D. I usually use my 550D with my Tokina 11-16 f2.8 because I trust that lens at infinity more than any other lens I have owned and I usually shoot lightning that way. Maybe I am doing something wrong but the other lenses that I use for lightning namely my EF 50 f1.4 and EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 don't seem to be sharp at infinity.

These were shot using my EF 16-35 f2.8L II at 35mm. I focused on the tree line. Sadly the sky wasn't completely dark so I couldn't do long exposures and the nice colors in the clouds that come with lightning were muted somewhat. I like how they turned out and love how the files can be worked in post without the banding and other issues that I would have with my 550D.

See more at: www.flickr.com/toodamnice

3.3 seconds, f10, iso 100

4.3 seconds, f10, iso 100

2.7 seconds, f10, iso 100

8.3 seconds, f10, iso 100

2.9 seconds, f10, iso 100

5 seconds, f10, iso 100, cropped

"got chills....electrifying" ;D
Nice shots! :)
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

Jack Douglas

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 18, 2013, 10:57:02 PM »
These are small butterflies (1/2") that are so pretty and they are all over but they are reluctant to open their wings and show their colors when they land - on the bison droppings!   6D 300 X2  1250th  F9  ISO 800

The poppy is the 24-70 F4 macro.

Nice to see more cool photos from everyone.

Jack
6D  24-70 F4  70-200 F2.8 II  300 F2.8 II  1.4X III  2X III

CarlTN

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 18, 2013, 11:24:47 PM »
Jack, those are very nice!

"Toodamnice", nice shots for sure...however...not trying to nitpick, but you simply must get rid of some of that aqua blue cast to the sky.  I've done many sky shots, and have found it's always better to correct that a bit.  What happens is that hue gets over saturated, the tones fall flat, and look less natural, especially if you add any saturation, or worse, vibrance.  Even if you haven't added any, it still needs correcting. 

This blue cast was especially bad with shots done with my Sigma DP2, because it had a bit of a color shift towards the corners anyway.  With any of my Canon cameras, they didn't have the color shift toward the corners, but the sky can still turn that shade of deep "blue jeans" blue-greenish color.

My two cents...   

Jack Douglas

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 19, 2013, 12:51:31 AM »
Hi CarlTN,

I'm completely open to whatever feedback, even if it's not perfectly complementary.  Lay it on! :) But, I don't have any experience with any after shot activities and I only have  Nikon NX2 and now Canon Digital Photo Professional and the Canon software has even less capability than Nikon as near as I can tell.

During yesterday's shoot I asked my friend about Photoshop and maybe I'll look at a purchase, but that still doesn't solve the ignorance problem.  So if you're willing to be more explicit perhaps you can help guide me.  I did purchase a very inexpensive Corel Paintshop that has some capabilities but haven't learned to use it as ....... well life is busy (and I live on an acreage) and right now I'm just trying to shoot everything that comes my way before the snow flies and everyone hibernates!

Now I'm guessing here, but could it be you're referring to that duck in the water a short time back?  Even I could see that wasn't overly natural but honestly I don't know what settings to change or how to correct it.

Jack

Jack Douglas

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 19, 2013, 01:05:52 AM »
Finally my treepod is functional but EOS Utility wasn't cooperating in giving me very good control over the camera.  Anyone know of a good resource for the 6D WiFi?  There isn't even a help menu.  It's possible I was too far, I guess maybe a 100 feet from my computer, but everything seemed sluggish.  Anyway it sure was exciting to see that sapsucker come onto my computer screen.  If only .....

I see this as having great potential.

Jack

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #231 on: June 19, 2013, 01:05:52 AM »

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #232 on: June 19, 2013, 09:05:34 AM »
Hi CarlTN,

I'm completely open to whatever feedback, even if it's not perfectly complementary.  Lay it on! :) But, I don't have any experience with any after shot activities and I only have  Nikon NX2 and now Canon Digital Photo Professional and the Canon software has even less capability than Nikon as near as I can tell.

During yesterday's shoot I asked my friend about Photoshop and maybe I'll look at a purchase, but that still doesn't solve the ignorance problem.  So if you're willing to be more explicit perhaps you can help guide me.  I did purchase a very inexpensive Corel Paintshop that has some capabilities but haven't learned to use it as ....... well life is busy (and I live on an acreage) and right now I'm just trying to shoot everything that comes my way before the snow flies and everyone hibernates!

Now I'm guessing here, but could it be you're referring to that duck in the water a short time back?  Even I could see that wasn't overly natural but honestly I don't know what settings to change or how to correct it.

Jack

Jack, I would HIGHLY suggest your investing in Lightroom as opposed to Photoshop.  While LR is clearly not as full featured as Photoshop, it is an amazingly flexible piece of software that (most important for you if not experienced with post processing) has a MUCH more gentle learning curve than Photoshop (Photoshop is not intuitive in the least and really requires training to properly use).

I own all kinds of software but use LR for 90% of what I do.  Another positive plus is that it runs about 1/5th of the price of Photoshop.
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #233 on: June 19, 2013, 01:13:35 PM »
here's another new one
Owns 5Dmkiii, 16-35mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 580 EXII, 2 430 EX's

CarlTN

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 20, 2013, 03:12:44 PM »
Hi CarlTN,

Jack

Jack, my above comments were directed at the other person, who posted the shots of the lightning strikes.  I was not trying to be hypercritical, it's just I've run into the same color phenomenon.

I have no real criticisms of your shots so far, I like them.  Telephoto shots are more about capturing a specific subject, where wider angle shots capture a much wider environment, and thus in a way are more difficult to result in something compelling or unique. 

I will echo Dustin's advice.  Get Lightroom 5.  You are welcome to purchase Photoshop CS6 also, but it might be less useful for you as a beginner, and certainly costs a bit more.  CS6 is really overkill for tweaking the simpler aspects like color and exposure.  However, I don't exactly agree with Dustin's opinion that Photoshop is not intuitive, and Lightroom is.  It just depends on your perspective I guess.  I still think Lightroom has too many peripheral options that are always in play.  At least with Photoshop, nothing is in play until you start using tools and working with it.  Lightroom starts out from the perspective that, you need to decide on lots of publishing variables, destination folders, how to name and organize them.  I.E., things that have nothing to do with editing photos from an artistic perspective.  And it defaults to store all of your edited images in its own filing structure, rather than letting you do what you want with the edited images from the start.

My point is, to those who initially learned photo editing in Lightroom, it seems intuitive to them.  Less so to those who got used to Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop.  Or at least to me.  No doubt someone might read this and quickly dispute my thoughts.

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #235 on: June 20, 2013, 03:16:57 PM »
Hi CarlTN,

Jack

Jack, my above comments were directed at the other person, who posted the shots of the lightning strikes.  I was not trying to be hypercritical, it's just I've run into the same color phenomenon.

I have no real criticisms of your shots so far, I like them.  Telephoto shots are more about capturing a specific subject, where wider angle shots capture a much wider environment, and thus in a way are more difficult to result in something compelling or unique. 

I will echo Dustin's advice.  Get Lightroom 5.  You are welcome to purchase Photoshop CS6 also, but it might be less useful for you as a beginner, and certainly costs a bit more.  CS6 is really overkill for tweaking the simpler aspects like color and exposure.  However, I don't exactly agree with Dustin's opinion that Photoshop is not intuitive, and Lightroom is.  It just depends on your perspective I guess.  I still think Lightroom has too many peripheral options that are always in play.  At least with Photoshop, nothing is in play until you start using tools and working with it.  Lightroom starts out from the perspective that, you need to decide on lots of publishing variables, destination folders, how to name and organize them.  I.E., things that have nothing to do with editing photos from an artistic perspective.  And it defaults to store all of your edited images in its own filing structure, rather than letting you do what you want with the edited images from the start.

My point is, to those who initially learned photo editing in Lightroom, it seems intuitive to them.  Less so to those who got used to Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop.  Or at least to me.  No doubt someone might read this and quickly dispute my thoughts.

While I had Photoshop first and Lightroom second, I don't disagree with some of your conclusions.  That being said, once utilized properly, Lightroom's filing, printing, and publishing options are amongst its most valuable tools, particularly for professionals.

When I first got Photshop (CS3 extended), I literally tried it for a while and then went back to a cheaper, easier editing program.  It was overwhelming and I didn't feel like I could do anything.  I later began to read articles, watch tutorials and webinars, and have become pretty proficient.  I still prefer the Lightroom interface for everything that doesn't require layers.

Jack Douglas

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 20, 2013, 07:22:44 PM »
Thanks CarlTN and Dustin,

On pp I appreciate all the advice.  Not sure what I'll do but my friend uses PS and says he'll help me get up to speed, but he also says his son uses LR and promotes that.  I've previously published a book and done lots of drawings using AutoCAD 2005, self taught, which is quite unrelated, but indicative of my level of software involvement.  I can learn of course, but that doesn't mean I should kill myself for no good reason.

I was serious when I said I'd be fine with constructive criticism, I have a thick enough skin.  :)  One question - what's up with the rather unnatural (although it struck me as kind of pretty) blue water in my duck picture a few posts back? 

Actually, right now I'm just enjoying snapping pictures as best I can and in the winter I'll try to be critiquing and asking for more feedback.

And I'm dreaming of that 14-24 F2.8 that's rumored, which I really want before heading back to Peru and Machu Pichu for a holiday in a year or two. ;D

Jack

Pag

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 20, 2013, 08:18:03 PM »
Here's a few shots I took over the week-end. All hand-held, at night, with a 6D and a Sigma 50mm f/1.4. It's pretty amazing how little light you need to shoot with this combo.

2013-06-17 Après la pluie-168-Edit by pagarneau, on Flickr

2013-06-17 Après la pluie-115-Edit by pagarneau, on Flickr

2013-06-17 Après la pluie-217-Edit by pagarneau, on Flickr

2013-06-17 Après la pluie-43-Edit by pagarneau, on Flickr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #237 on: June 20, 2013, 08:18:03 PM »

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #238 on: June 20, 2013, 08:51:44 PM »
Here's a few shots I took over the week-end. All hand-held, at night, with a 6D and a Sigma 50mm f/1.4. It's pretty amazing how little light you need to shoot with this combo.

Very nice shots.  They have a very cinematic feel to them, with excellent color and detail.  The 6D really is a high ISO monster!

CTJohn

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 20, 2013, 09:58:58 PM »
Grand Prismatic Spring, Yellowstone.
EOS 6D * EOS 7D * Powershot S110 * EF 24/105 f/4L * EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L * EF 100 f/2.8L Macro

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #239 on: June 20, 2013, 09:58:58 PM »