October 25, 2014, 09:30:41 PM

Author Topic: Anything shot with a 6D  (Read 219953 times)

Renegade Runner

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Anything shot with a 6D
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2013, 10:43:25 PM »
A mute swan and some geese
Rebel T1i, EOS 6D, EF 24-105, EFS 10-22, MP-E 65, 100 2.8, EF 100 2.8, 70-300 L, Sigma 150-500

www.pixeltrot.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2013, 10:43:25 PM »

Erikerodri

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • "All We Lose, We Learn from you"
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2013, 11:04:48 PM »
I took these with my 6D. i'm still getting the hang of everything and still learning but here are a few shots I am happy with. These were taken with my 6D and tamron sp24-70 combo. Let me know what you guys think

EDIT:
actually the very last one of the cat was shot with a sigma 70-200 f 2.8 os lens. the other 2 were tamron
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:25:11 PM by Erikerodri »
Bodies: 6D (Gripped), T3i (Gripped), sl1
Lenses: Tamron 24-70 2.8, canon 50 1.8, canon 85 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS,
Misc: Yn-622c triggers, Yonguo 565ex, Bower Ringflash, Bower TTL Flash

Jack Douglas

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2013, 04:13:46 AM »
Here are three unaltered tripod shots of a recent full moon with the 300F2.8 bare and with both extenders.  It seems the resolution doesn't improve with the extenders, just a bigger subject.  These were focused in live view using WiFi about as carefully as humanly possible on a 24" computer screen and I also played with exposure at the same time to try to extract the maximum detail.  All were greater than 1/1000 shutter speed and wide open.

I just couldn't accept the results were up to snuff but I only have my Nikon D5100, 70-300 to use as comparison of moon shots and these ones weren't that much better.  What do you guys think?

Jack
6D  24-70 F4  70-200 F2.8 II  300 F2.8 II  1.4X III  2X III

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2013, 04:31:56 AM »
Here are three unaltered tripod shots of a recent full moon with the 300F2.8 bare and with both extenders.  It seems the resolution doesn't improve with the extenders, just a bigger subject.  These were focused in live view using WiFi about as carefully as humanly possible on a 24" computer screen and I also played with exposure at the same time to try to extract the maximum detail.  All were greater than 1/1000 shutter speed and wide open.

I just couldn't accept the results were up to snuff but I only have my Nikon D5100, 70-300 to use as comparison of moon shots and these ones weren't that much better.  What do you guys think?

Jack
Two things from my perspective:
  • Crop the pictures - they will show more detail.
  • While a full moon is more dramatic in real life, it really comes into its own when the shadows of the craters and ridges are visible in a photograph.

Delish

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2013, 06:42:46 AM »

Jack

Jack, how did you perform afma? Remember that you need to perform one for the bare lens, one with 1.4x and one with the 2x, they can differ quite a bit.
Looking at your 300X1.4_Test_47_feetResized.jpg remember the size of your center AF point is quite big, much larger than the square in your viewfinder, so for afma you need a setup that guaranties that the AF hits the right(intended) target every time. It is helpful if your AF target is parallel to you sensor.

Here is a good read, link http://www.the-digital-picture.com/photography-tips/AF-Microadjustment-Tips.aspx

Lene

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2013, 11:00:45 AM »
Here's another landscape shot with the 6D (and 17-40L).  More snow on the way - UGGGHH!!

A (Reluctant) Celebration of Snow by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2013, 11:06:33 AM »
A mute swan and some geese

Some nice shots with great timing!
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2013, 11:06:33 AM »

Jack Douglas

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2013, 11:33:57 AM »
Thanks RPT,

Here's what has happened from my perspective.  While I appreciate and value the feedback regarding improving technique and processing and all that, and I need to learn an awful lot, I've gotten very distracted by the fact that my hardware seemed to be selling me short.

This is partly because it was only due to some inheritance that I could ever have dreamed of buying this level of equipment and there are/were other higher priorities.  Unlike some in my shoes, my wife actually pressed me to make the purchase, practically insisting I get the 5D3.  The 6D saved $$ on the 5D3 that went into the 24-70 F4 since I backed away from that beautiful 100 macro.  I had visited the store I purchased from, testing these things out extensively, especially the 300F2.8 and extenders and both my much more experienced friend and myself were not that impressed (he's going to make a purchase very similar to mine and shoots with a couple a D300's presently). 

After the purchase I actually returned the first 6D/24-70 kit for a second after shooting test shots like crazy that week.  The 300 of course was thrilling me because we all know it's not trash but that nagging remained that I wasn't getting what I should.  Through extensive emails with Canon Canada a very nice representative by the name of Mike suggested I ship the stuff in, which I immediately did, adding a CD of some shots and an impassioned plea that they address my concerns.

And now I am going nuts worrying that they might do the bare minimum and I'll be stuck.  I fully agree that high level photography is an art that depends on the shooter, not the equipment and I'm not interested in bragging about equipment or bettering others because of it.  It's just that I'm one of those people who has been raised to always "do your very best" and I fuss way too much about such things.

Cropping is of course something I've been doing for a year and one of the reasons I hoped for a 600mm reach for birds in particular, compared to my Nikon D5100/70-300, 450 field of view.  I've left photos untouched thinking that would give you folk a better idea of what I was dealing with.  At the photo shop I did shots with the D5100 and compared to the 6D and there wasn't a huge difference.  Then I read everything I could get my hands on regarding crop sensors and apparent reach and pisel pitch and realized that regarding resolution of detail 18 MP crop and 20 MP full frame are pretty similar.  That's not to equate the IQ in general since the 6D is obviously a step up.  Of course this led to pixel peeping and reading all the D800 reviews and all that fretting and fussing and here I am on this forum continuing!! 

Not to mention birds arriving for spring and the pending lake thaw that will see me out on the water with the ........ oops, I may be out with the used 40D I just got for $200 and my 70-300 F4-5.6 IS, which is right back to the D5100 realm I was leaving behind.  Canon claims a 10 day turnaround so maybe there is still hope (I've allowed 1 month and am working on a tree mount tripod setup etc., trying to use my time to advantage).  So that's the whole nine yards and why I'm anxious for feedback from others who have the same equipment.

Sorry for this getting so long.  :-[

Jack

Jack Douglas

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2013, 12:14:31 PM »
Thanks Delish,

A few posts back I included the test setup shot but it didn’t display fully on this forum.  However, I checked and the original photo is visible if you click on the incomplete forum photo.  I shot many samples at ISO 100 and even repeated using WiFi remote release while viewing enlarged on my computer.  I tried many AFMA settings and found that I needed +ve adjustment for all three  - 300, 300X1.4 and 300X2.  I spent a whole day repeating and checking and repeating and .....  I typically get accused of being tooooo fussy.

I ran into some repeatability issues which seemed to imply that the lenses don’t do exactly the same AF all the time so I manually placed the lens at infinity before each test, as suggested.

The test board I made was angled at 45 degrees.  I don’t understand what you mean by parallel to the shutter as that would seem to show no test board.  I had used a laser level to get the height for the shot and had gone directly perpendicular to my house 47 feet while the board was square to the house wall.  The fabric and tape measure on the board provide a fair amount of detail.  Of course I may still be missing something (the Canon rep suggested the camera settings and outdoor higher light so I could use ISO 100). 

Apologies, for my posts starting to go off topic but hopefully these things may interest and help others who may get into the same situation.

I've included a closer resized test shot that shows the board better.  Focus bang on center of Mitutoyo in all my shots.

6D 24-70F4L IS @ 70 F4 1/1000 ISO 100 +2/3 exp one-shot spot metering

Jack

Delish

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2013, 12:53:06 PM »
Thanks Delish,

A few posts back I included the test setup shot but it didn’t display fully on this forum.  However, I checked and the original photo is visible if you click on the incomplete forum photo.  I shot many samples at ISO 100 and even repeated using WiFi remote release while viewing enlarged on my computer.  I tried many AFMA settings and found that I needed +ve adjustment for all three  - 300, 300X1.4 and 300X2.  I spent a whole day repeating and checking and repeating and .....  I typically get accused of being tooooo fussy.

I ran into some repeatability issues which seemed to imply that the lenses don’t do exactly the same AF all the time so I manually placed the lens at infinity before each test, as suggested.

The test board I made was angled at 45 degrees.  I don’t understand what you mean by parallel to the shutter as that would seem to show no test board.  I had used a laser level to get the height for the shot and had gone directly perpendicular to my house 47 feet while the board was square to the house wall.  The fabric and tape measure on the board provide a fair amount of detail.  Of course I may still be missing something (the Canon rep suggested the camera settings and outdoor higher light so I could use ISO 100). 

Apologies, for my posts starting to go off topic but hopefully these things may interest and help others who may get into the same situation.

I've included a closer resized test shot that shows the board better.  Focus bang on center of Mitutoyo in all my shots.

Jack

There might be a few problems with your setup and testing.
1. There is no way of knowing were you AF will lock onto that target, since everything is at 45 degree with equal contrast along the board.
2. Live mode AF uses contrast detection if not used in "quick mode", where as afma is only affecting phase detection AF, the AF used when not in live view. So if you used regular live mode AF, then there will be issues.

The phase detection AF needs a clean and easy target to hit when doing afma, so you can be sure it hits the same spot each time, this is easiest done by having the target parallel to your sensor. That way if it hits a bit left/right/up/down it will not affect the distance it focuses on. Then you put a ruler/tapeband or something else next to it at a 45 degree, and view were the focus hit.

Lene

hsbn

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2013, 12:53:47 PM »
Thanks Delish,

Jack
I didn't read the whole thing but from the photo above it's not accurate way to test or calibrate your lens. Auto focus area is actually bigger than the "square" you see in your viewfinder. So with that setup, there is high contrast area both up and down the ruler that will be inside your camera focus area. Thus, you may think that you lens is off but it may be just "perfect". That is why people use a focus chart that is parallel with the image sensor to avoid this problem.

Jack Douglas

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2013, 02:12:34 PM »
Hi Delish and hsbn,

Thanks very much.  My brain wasn't working but your comments have suddenly clicked.  My board has potential to be useful but it needs a definitive and obvious target that the focus will lock onto and this should be vertical (parallel to the sensor).  For example if I cut off the right side of the board and placed a miniature stop sign at the point where I previously thought I was focusing, which was the center of the Mitutoyo script, my camera would definitely lock onto the sign and then I could see what is in focus in front and behind on the 45 degree angled board.  Have I got it?  Ok, that's most helpful, many thanks!

BTW many test shots were done via the viewfinder and only later did I decide to us live mode remote and I believe I did use the Quick mode of EOS Utility.  Also I didn't fully realize that the focus region extended beyond the viewfinder focus square.  How far??

However the issue is not just where my focus lies because the IQ (sharpness etc.) can be evaluated wherever the focus happens to lie on my test board.  So examining the region of sharpest focus assuming a subject has depth, I should still be getting a high quality rendition in that region, right?  This is my main concern because I know AFMA is a minor (important) technicality that can certainly be corrected, but I may still have a soft lens - no??

Jack

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2013, 04:06:06 PM »
Hi Delish and hsbn,

Thanks very much.  My brain wasn't working but your comments have suddenly clicked.  My board has potential to be useful but it needs a definitive and obvious target that the focus will lock onto and this should be vertical (parallel to the sensor).  For example if I cut off the right side of the board and placed a miniature stop sign at the point where I previously thought I was focusing, which was the center of the Mitutoyo script, my camera would definitely lock onto the sign and then I could see what is in focus in front and behind on the 45 degree angled board.  Have I got it?  Ok, that's most helpful, many thanks!

BTW many test shots were done via the viewfinder and only later did I decide to us live mode remote and I believe I did use the Quick mode of EOS Utility.  Also I didn't fully realize that the focus region extended beyond the viewfinder focus square.  How far??

However the issue is not just where my focus lies because the IQ (sharpness etc.) can be evaluated wherever the focus happens to lie on my test board.  So examining the region of sharpest focus assuming a subject has depth, I should still be getting a high quality rendition in that region, right?  This is my main concern because I know AFMA is a minor (important) technicality that can certainly be corrected, but I may still have a soft lens - no??

Jack

Jack, what is your result when using Live View focus?  That should be highly accurate with your 6D.  If you aren't getting sharp results with Live View, then I would suspect a problem with either the lens or body.  Is it only this lens/body combo that you have an issue with?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2013, 04:06:06 PM »

Jack Douglas

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2013, 12:49:11 AM »
Dustin, I don't have confidence in the Canon L lenses that I have purchased, perhaps because I have assumed there is greater difference between L and non-L.  Since I shot for a year with the Nikon AF-S 70-300 F 4.5-5.6 VR, I had lots of experience with its IQ on the crop D5100.   I observed that when I shot with the equivalent Canon lens that I bought to have as kick around lens for $400 new, that the results were similar to the Nikon.  I framed an old tractor that sits in my yard using different focal lengths and played around with cropping and so forth and had no issue with that lens.

However, the 24-70 F4 L and more so the 300 F2.8 L II and the extenders III left me feeling kind of sick and that was reinforced as well by my photographer friend as we compared many test shots.  Then I started pixel peeping etc. and ultimately contacted Canon and sent the camera and lenses in.

So, that explains my interest in what others are getting with the 6D and especially with the 300 F2.8L II, which unfortunately not too many seem to own, to be able to give me feedback on my shots.  The three shots of the moon are full resolution and perhaps could be examined by someone who has the same lens to give me an idea on this.

Because the Camera was new and different for me to learn I've been slow getting up to speed.  I only used live view recently when I finally got the WiFi operative and figured out how to use EOS Utility.  It's fantastic since you can focus manually very accurately.  With high magnification though, the moon image was kind of dancing with noise so there was still a small element of error.  Never the less the moon shots represent the very best I could do.

I've seen shots via some forums of wildlife using the 300 that really impressed me and I don't think I'm getting the same??  Before coming here I was blown away by shots on the "anything shot with the 1DS" thread - especially Gary from Utah!!  Anyone that hasn't, really should take a look!

Jack

Jack Douglas

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2013, 03:09:01 AM »
Beloved pets and new cameras go together, well at least until the novelty wears off I guess!

6D 300 F2.8 1/250 ISO 400

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2013, 03:09:01 AM »