November 26, 2014, 11:18:22 AM

Author Topic: Anything shot with a 6D  (Read 230988 times)

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Anything shot with a 6D
« Reply #255 on: June 21, 2013, 07:56:56 PM »
Pag and CTJohn, very nice shots!

I shot some video this evening with my 6D, of fireflies with my Voigtlander 58 f/1.4.  Looks nice enough on the camera's screen, not uploaded it yet.

Carl, tell me about the Voigtlander.  I have heard some say that other than the lack of AF it is actually one of the best options in the 50mm range.

I personally love it.  The metal body looks and feels identical to Zeiss.  I would say the bokeh is not as smooth as the Canon 50 f/1.2, or the 135L...but the color is superior at least to the 135L.  The bokeh is creamy smooth if there are not extreme highlights in it.  The contrast is similar to the 135 (which is saying something, because you know how contrasty the 135 is).  The sharpness is extreme on the 6D.  On my 50D, sharpness was still extreme, but you could kind of make out barely some lateral CA...very minute, of course...but even it seems absent on the 6D.  There is still some slight longitudinal, or "bokeh" fringing...but it's not very strong...depending on just how extreme the contrast is at the transition of dark to light edges of subject matter (and this is at wider apertures).  Not unusual for fast primes of any focal length, I suppose.  By about f/2.8, even this is completely gone.

I decided I wanted it, after looking at photozone.de's test of it.  According to their charts (they don't say so outright), its resolution is beyond all other 50mm f/1.4 primes they have tested, including both Canons, the Nikons, even the Zeiss...at least at wider aperture than f/4 or f/5.6.  Certainly a couple of them tie or beat it, at around f/5.6.  I'm sure there are other sites which might not be so kind to it, but my sample sure seems to be up to photozone's.

It had essentially no vignetting at f/1.4 on the crop camera, and barely a moderate amount on the 6D.  Perhaps 1.5 stops near the wide f/f border, maybe close to 2 at the corner?  I don't know...I forget what their test showed.  At the extreme corners on the 6D, there is a bit of noticeable aberration, likely coma (not uncommon for an f/1.4 lens on a full frame).  Through most of the frame it is just about perfect, in my opinion.  And like the above, when you close the aperture down some, the coma goes away.  This is at the extreme corners.  And this is from the perspective of trying to use it for astrophotography, or otherwise looking at a file at 100% at the corner, to decide what it's doing...certainly at 8x10 print size or something, I doubt you could see any aberration. 

The main thing I don't like, is that it's a manual lens.  If you are shooting at a closed down aperture, then the light meter is never going to be accurate.  Sure the finder image is darker (sometimes looks darker than it should, say at f/4).  But the main problem is innacurate exposure.  It's not really a problem at f/2 or faster, though...since it's nearly wide open.  Of course there are no clicks between f/1.4 and f/2, so the ring can move a bit if you touch it, when setting it somewhere in between.  And of course the camera only always shows "f/1.4", even when closed to f/16.  The focus ring, feels like heaven...perfect rubber teeth, perfect amount of back-pressure. 

The "dandelion" chip in the Fotodiox (Nikon-to-Canon) adapter I use, works like a dream.  It gave accurate focus confirmation at the much reviled side AF point of the 6D, in a dark room when I tried it a night or two ago.  But there's also a caveat I must mention with this adaptor.  It needed "tightening" with a jeweler's screwdriver, because at first the lens was loose inside it.  I damaged the tip of the screwdriver in the tightening process...but fortunately it was a cheap one...which is probably why it was too weak to hold up in the first place, haha!

If I could ever get my DVR tv shows watched (we keep getting free weekends of the prime channels!), and some house cleaning done, in between wasting my time online, I could get some pics edited!

I'd also really like to post some video clips I shot with it just last night, of fireflies amongst some deer at my pond...on the 6D.  But I don't have a youtube account.  Should I create one, or try another site?

What I really need is a comfortable chair cushion for use at the desktop.  I am not really more than like 20lbs overweight, but I have an occasional ache of my tendons around my hips, from sitting (doc said it's genetic).  I want to try one of those $100 gel cushions, but I don't want to spend the money.  Any thoughts?  My cousin mentioned the $20 cushion at bed bath and beyond, but the online comments on it, looks like it goes flat after a few days...as I have found all cushions seem to do.  For the last couple of years, I just sit on an orthopedic "bean bag" type cushion...it hurts and feels a bit too firm...but it never goes flat.  I paid like $40 for a first generation "memory foam" cushion about 8 years ago.  It lasted about 4 months before it was totally blown out...but it wasn't really thick enough, only like an inch.  A new computer chair would help, but the cushion in it would just feel the same as this old one after a few weeks.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 08:23:02 PM by CarlTN »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #255 on: June 21, 2013, 07:56:56 PM »

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #256 on: June 22, 2013, 01:22:07 AM »
I have been really liking my 6d...it's odd, comparing to my mk3, there are some times where the colors fro mthe 6d pop a lot more than the mk3.  And other times where the mk3 shines...I have been using them in tandem and having a lot of fun!

6d, 50mm lens at f8, 1/125, and 2 430 ex's to camera right
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #257 on: June 22, 2013, 10:40:21 AM »
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #258 on: June 22, 2013, 10:40:59 AM »
Pag and CTJohn, very nice shots!

I shot some video this evening with my 6D, of fireflies with my Voigtlander 58 f/1.4.  Looks nice enough on the camera's screen, not uploaded it yet.

Carl, tell me about the Voigtlander.  I have heard some say that other than the lack of AF it is actually one of the best options in the 50mm range.

I personally love it.  The metal body looks and feels identical to Zeiss.  I would say the bokeh is not as smooth as the Canon 50 f/1.2, or the 135L...but the color is superior at least to the 135L.  The bokeh is creamy smooth if there are not extreme highlights in it.  The contrast is similar to the 135 (which is saying something, because you know how contrasty the 135 is).  The sharpness is extreme on the 6D.  On my 50D, sharpness was still extreme, but you could kind of make out barely some lateral CA...very minute, of course...but even it seems absent on the 6D.  There is still some slight longitudinal, or "bokeh" fringing...but it's not very strong...depending on just how extreme the contrast is at the transition of dark to light edges of subject matter (and this is at wider apertures).  Not unusual for fast primes of any focal length, I suppose.  By about f/2.8, even this is completely gone.

I decided I wanted it, after looking at photozone.de's test of it.  According to their charts (they don't say so outright), its resolution is beyond all other 50mm f/1.4 primes they have tested, including both Canons, the Nikons, even the Zeiss...at least at wider aperture than f/4 or f/5.6.  Certainly a couple of them tie or beat it, at around f/5.6.  I'm sure there are other sites which might not be so kind to it, but my sample sure seems to be up to photozone's.

It had essentially no vignetting at f/1.4 on the crop camera, and barely a moderate amount on the 6D.  Perhaps 1.5 stops near the wide f/f border, maybe close to 2 at the corner?  I don't know...I forget what their test showed.  At the extreme corners on the 6D, there is a bit of noticeable aberration, likely coma (not uncommon for an f/1.4 lens on a full frame).  Through most of the frame it is just about perfect, in my opinion.  And like the above, when you close the aperture down some, the coma goes away.  This is at the extreme corners.  And this is from the perspective of trying to use it for astrophotography, or otherwise looking at a file at 100% at the corner, to decide what it's doing...certainly at 8x10 print size or something, I doubt you could see any aberration. 

The main thing I don't like, is that it's a manual lens.  If you are shooting at a closed down aperture, then the light meter is never going to be accurate.  Sure the finder image is darker (sometimes looks darker than it should, say at f/4).  But the main problem is innacurate exposure.  It's not really a problem at f/2 or faster, though...since it's nearly wide open.  Of course there are no clicks between f/1.4 and f/2, so the ring can move a bit if you touch it, when setting it somewhere in between.  And of course the camera only always shows "f/1.4", even when closed to f/16.  The focus ring, feels like heaven...perfect rubber teeth, perfect amount of back-pressure. 

The "dandelion" chip in the Fotodiox (Nikon-to-Canon) adapter I use, works like a dream.  It gave accurate focus confirmation at the much reviled side AF point of the 6D, in a dark room when I tried it a night or two ago.  But there's also a caveat I must mention with this adaptor.  It needed "tightening" with a jeweler's screwdriver, because at first the lens was loose inside it.  I damaged the tip of the screwdriver in the tightening process...but fortunately it was a cheap one...which is probably why it was too weak to hold up in the first place, haha!

If I could ever get my DVR tv shows watched (we keep getting free weekends of the prime channels!), and some house cleaning done, in between wasting my time online, I could get some pics edited!

I'd also really like to post some video clips I shot with it just last night, of fireflies amongst some deer at my pond...on the 6D.  But I don't have a youtube account.  Should I create one, or try another site?

What I really need is a comfortable chair cushion for use at the desktop.  I am not really more than like 20lbs overweight, but I have an occasional ache of my tendons around my hips, from sitting (doc said it's genetic).  I want to try one of those $100 gel cushions, but I don't want to spend the money.  Any thoughts?  My cousin mentioned the $20 cushion at bed bath and beyond, but the online comments on it, looks like it goes flat after a few days...as I have found all cushions seem to do.  For the last couple of years, I just sit on an orthopedic "bean bag" type cushion...it hurts and feels a bit too firm...but it never goes flat.  I paid like $40 for a first generation "memory foam" cushion about 8 years ago.  It lasted about 4 months before it was totally blown out...but it wasn't really thick enough, only like an inch.  A new computer chair would help, but the cushion in it would just feel the same as this old one after a few weeks.

Are you implying that it doesn't come in a native Canon mount?  I thought that it did.
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

Malte_P

« Reply #259 on: June 22, 2013, 11:45:09 AM »
oooops
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 09:41:07 PM by Malte_P »

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #260 on: June 22, 2013, 12:15:46 PM »

Jack Douglas

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 23, 2013, 01:47:00 AM »
very nice, Malte_P - what lenses?

Hornet isn't quite what I'd prefer but it's challenging  :)

300 1600th F3.2  ISO 3200

Jack
6D  24-70 F4  70-200 F2.8 II  300 F2.8 II  1.4X III  2X III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #261 on: June 23, 2013, 01:47:00 AM »

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #262 on: June 23, 2013, 08:18:08 AM »
Here's a golden oldie (SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8) mounted on the 6D.  It is a great combo, and the one reason why I don't have a modern 50mm lens.

Floating in a Sea of Light by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

toodamnice

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #263 on: June 23, 2013, 11:06:53 AM »
My first lightning shoot with my 6D. I usually use my 550D with my Tokina 11-16 f2.8 because I trust that lens at infinity more than any other lens I have owned and I usually shoot lightning that way. Maybe I am doing something wrong but the other lenses that I use for lightning namely my EF 50 f1.4 and EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 don't seem to be sharp at infinity.

These were shot using my EF 16-35 f2.8L II at 35mm. I focused on the tree line. Sadly the sky wasn't completely dark so I couldn't do long exposures and the nice colors in the clouds that come with lightning were muted somewhat. I like how they turned out and love how the files can be worked in post without the banding and other issues that I would have with my 550D.

See more at: www.flickr.com/toodamnice

3.3 seconds, f10, iso 100

4.3 seconds, f10, iso 100

2.7 seconds, f10, iso 100

8.3 seconds, f10, iso 100

2.9 seconds, f10, iso 100

5 seconds, f10, iso 100, cropped

"got chills....electrifying" ;D
Nice shots! :)

Thanks!
Bring on the storms!!!

Two Canon 6Ds. EOS M with the EF-M 22 f2. Canon EF 16-35 f2.8L II, Canon EF 50 f1.4, Canon EF 85 f1.8, Canon EF 70-200 f4L IS, Rokinon 14 f2.8.

toodamnice

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #264 on: June 23, 2013, 11:10:47 AM »

"Toodamnice", nice shots for sure...however...not trying to nitpick, but you simply must get rid of some of that aqua blue cast to the sky.  I've done many sky shots, and have found it's always better to correct that a bit.  What happens is that hue gets over saturated, the tones fall flat, and look less natural, especially if you add any saturation, or worse, vibrance.  Even if you haven't added any, it still needs correcting. 

This blue cast was especially bad with shots done with my Sigma DP2, because it had a bit of a color shift towards the corners anyway.  With any of my Canon cameras, they didn't have the color shift toward the corners, but the sky can still turn that shade of deep "blue jeans" blue-greenish color.

My two cents...   

Thanks for the advice CarlTN. I will try that and see how the pictures turn out. I know that with a lot of storms that aqua color can come from the rain/hail core and is natural. However the core is not visible in these shots.
Bring on the storms!!!

Two Canon 6Ds. EOS M with the EF-M 22 f2. Canon EF 16-35 f2.8L II, Canon EF 50 f1.4, Canon EF 85 f1.8, Canon EF 70-200 f4L IS, Rokinon 14 f2.8.

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #265 on: June 24, 2013, 09:01:49 PM »

The Petal and the Metal by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

Here's one taken off the far left focal point.  DOF is .07 inches.  With a proper AFMA, I find the outer points on the 6D plenty accurate.

Jack Douglas

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 25, 2013, 03:00:06 AM »
Further to Dustins's comments about the outer focus points.  I love my 6D but I now have a clearer awareness of the shortcomings of the AF. 

Thinking about what Canon did to handicap 6D shooters disappoints me.  It seems to me a significant number of shots in vertical orientation will involve a live subject that is tall that you are trying to fill the frame with.  Maybe a person with focus on the eyes or my sapsucker in a similar situation.  The outer focus point gets more easily confused and if the subject is moving then there isn't always time to recompose using the center point, which is superb.  Why couldn't they have made just the far right and the upper point double cross - seems a no-brainer to me?? 

As others have said, the 6D and wildlife leaves one just a little disappointed, more so because the camera is otherwise such a treat.  Still, no regrets because the near future will have what I'm looking for (hopefully) and the 6D will be my second body.

Jack
6D  24-70 F4  70-200 F2.8 II  300 F2.8 II  1.4X III  2X III

funkboy

• Canon 6D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 25, 2013, 05:55:47 AM »

What I really need is a comfortable chair cushion for use at the desktop.  I am not really more than like 20lbs overweight, but I have an occasional ache of my tendons around my hips, from sitting (doc said it's genetic).

If you can find one at auction somewhere, try to get your hands on a Herman Miller Aeron chair.  They were by far the most popular chair with the dotcom crowd, and are (or at least were the last time I looked) available at office-surplus type warehouses, eBay, etc. as a result.  They come in 3 sizes and are designed for callcenters & people banging on keyboards all day long.

You might also try a Varier balans kneeling chair, if your knees don't mind.  They're not for everyone but they certainly get the weight off your hips.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #267 on: June 25, 2013, 05:55:47 AM »

dexstrose

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 25, 2013, 12:51:42 PM »
He was hanging around in front of the window.

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 25, 2013, 03:47:49 PM »

Are you implying that it doesn't come in a native Canon mount?  I thought that it did.

Not just implying it, I'm saying it.  If it now comes in a Canon mount, that's news to me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #269 on: June 25, 2013, 03:47:49 PM »