October 26, 2014, 05:49:15 AM

Author Topic: Anything shot with a 6D  (Read 220165 times)

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Anything shot with a 6D
« Reply #555 on: September 17, 2013, 12:57:32 AM »

Yeah.  I really like cats, but I don't have one anymore  :'(

Sorry to hear, maybe you will get another one.  The one we have now is a "mainecoon", similar to a "Siberian"...I have hundreds of pics of him...I need to post a few in the cat thread.

The orange cat we used to have, was one of my brother's cats.  She got sick and went deaf, so we kept her a couple of years.  Not sure what happened to her, I guess something caught her.  She insisted on going out to converse with some stray cats one night, and never came back.  She had been fixed, but sometimes it doesn't help I guess!  It didn't help that she couldn't hear, either...we had tried to keep her inside most of the time.  Oh well, just one of many cats I've had.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #555 on: September 17, 2013, 12:57:32 AM »

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #556 on: September 18, 2013, 02:12:25 PM »
My 100mm macro is about a week old now!  (to me at least, got it used)...

I find that I am way more prone to use it on my 6d, because I have the grip on the mk3 and that really limits how low to the ground/table/whatever surface i am shooting I can get.  which is fine by me, my 6d has a new best friend!
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #557 on: September 18, 2013, 02:44:46 PM »

I find that I am way more prone to use it on my 6d, because I have the grip on the mk3 and that really limits how low to the ground/table/whatever surface i am shooting I can get.  which is fine by me, my 6d has a new best friend!

Nice shot, but the highlight near the center kind of overpowers the ring in my opinion.  Still the bokeh mostly looks nice.  Quite a large ring...must be expensive!

I just ordered a grip for my 6D, and another lens.

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: September 18, 2013, 03:22:56 PM »

Nice shot, but the highlight near the center kind of overpowers the ring in my opinion.  Still the bokeh mostly looks nice.  Quite a large ring...must be expensive!

I would have rather shot this during the daytime, with window light as my keylight (it's a better approximation of what I'd do on a wedding day)

I may want to consider a video light or 2 for this kind of work, i like my LED's in a pinch, but wish i could dim them (i tried using a kleenex to diffuse it, but wasn't to my liking)...

bokeh...i read about and saw the comparisons...the 100L definitely has a better bokeh - but so far I don't mind the slightly less circular bokeh
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 18, 2013, 07:13:29 PM »

I would have rather shot this during the daytime, with window light as my keylight (it's a better approximation of what I'd do on a wedding day)

I may want to consider a video light or 2 for this kind of work, i like my LED's in a pinch, but wish i could dim them (i tried using a kleenex to diffuse it, but wasn't to my liking)...

bokeh...i read about and saw the comparisons...the 100L definitely has a better bokeh - but so far I don't mind the slightly less circular bokeh

The 100L has a better bokeh than what?

What sort of diffusion do you like on your flashguns, like for on-camera flash at events?  I've tried sto-fen in the past...would like to get a small softbox or one of those diffusor hood-reflector things...Seems like the user reviews all vary and read the same with them all...that they're nice but cheaply made...and the larger they are, the more you look like an idiot while using them.

Regarding the image, I would have tried toning down that highlight with the adjustment brush, but it might not make enough difference until its toned down a lot...in which case that might look worse because it's less natural looking.  It's hard to say.  I've been doing that a lot lately...toning down rooftops and concrete driveways...

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: September 18, 2013, 07:41:52 PM »

Than a lot of lenses.

Which of these were shot with the legendary 85 f1.2 and the 100L macro?
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: September 18, 2013, 08:20:23 PM »

What sort of diffusion do you like on your flashguns, like for on-camera flash at events?  I've tried sto-fen in the past...would like to get a small softbox or one of those diffusor hood-reflector things...Seems like the user reviews all vary and read the same with them all...that they're nice but cheaply made...and the larger they are, the more you look like an idiot while using them.

Regarding the image, I would have tried toning down that highlight with the adjustment brush, but it might not make enough difference until its toned down a lot...in which case that might look worse because it's less natural looking.  It's hard to say.  I've been doing that a lot lately...toning down rooftops and concrete driveways...

I have the non L 100 macro... bokeh on the L version is much better than the non L (which is as it should be)..

Flash diffusion - i have tried the stofens, I like them for off camera flash work to soften the light a tad...but for on the go shots - I either use the built in bounce card, or just bounce the light off ceiling or walls (for weddings I will also do that with off camera flash, or, depending on the venue, my alien bees...

I am thinking i want to go another route with light mods though for certain things...The idea of a snoot for shooting on camera for slow dances intrigues me...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #561 on: September 18, 2013, 08:20:23 PM »

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #562 on: September 18, 2013, 08:34:46 PM »

I have the non L 100 macro... bokeh on the L version is much better than the non L (which is as it should be)..

Flash diffusion - i have tried the stofens, I like them for off camera flash work to soften the light a tad...but for on the go shots - I either use the built in bounce card, or just bounce the light off ceiling or walls (for weddings I will also do that with off camera flash, or, depending on the venue, my alien bees...

I am thinking i want to go another route with light mods though for certain things...The idea of a snoot for shooting on camera for slow dances intrigues me...

Interesting.  Several user reviews also said the flash's inboard card was as good as some of the bounce cards, etc.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #563 on: September 18, 2013, 08:35:57 PM »

Than a lot of lenses.

Hard to say but I'm guessing the top and bottom were the 85 and in the middle, the 100...probably wrong.

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: September 18, 2013, 08:42:47 PM »

Than a lot of lenses.

i am agreeing with your guess...

Hard to say but I'm guessing the top and bottom were the 85 and in the middle, the 100...probably wrong.

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: September 18, 2013, 08:50:53 PM »

Interesting.  Several user reviews also said the flash's inboard card was as good as some of the bounce cards, etc.

Hell, I know people that in a pinch use a tissue for diffusion.  It really depends though on what I want to do with the light, which is a lot of trial and error - by no means do i really understand the physics of it yet. If i want to fill the room for a big wide shot, or even close ups - if the ceilings aren't too tall I'll bounce it straight up...or, reverse it so it bounces off the wall and ceiling behind me...but if its a big room with tall ceilings, the light isn't as good so i'll go with the bounce card...if the walls are a really warm color too...i use the card cause the wall will act like a gel.  If i am going with on and off cam...i generally don't diffuse and sett he power fairly low just to fill...that's why i want to try the snoot...snoot on cam and 2 off cam set low as to keep the ambient light...

In rooms with odd shaped ceilings (big rafters or other large obstructions) I through a honeycomb on the alien bee, set it to low and point it towards the dance floor...

I'm still learning all this, not anywhere near as good with it as i want to be...

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: September 18, 2013, 08:52:54 PM »
"Interesting.  Several user reviews also said the flash's inboard card was as good as some of the bounce cards, etc."

Nonsense, the built in bounce card is next to useless. For really good modifiers I can't recommend the Rouge series of flags, deflectors, snoots etc enough, though I don't like their gels. And they have a great value clearance page http://www.expoimaging.com/index2.php?cPath=21&osCsid=5r1hn15rhmmhp67hgi67uj6pe7

Also do a search for "the black foamie thing" he is the master of on camera bounce flash, a real inspiration.

As for the images, yes, one and three are the 85 f1.2, I think the bokeh, which is a purely subjective thing, looks pretty bad in both of them. But it can often look amazing, bokeh is affected by so many more things than just aperture shape and size.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: September 18, 2013, 08:58:44 PM »

Hell, I know people that in a pinch use a tissue for diffusion.  It really depends though on what I want to do with the light, which is a lot of trial and error - by no means do i really understand the physics of it yet. If i want to fill the room for a big wide shot, or even close ups - if the ceilings aren't too tall I'll bounce it straight up...or, reverse it so it bounces off the wall and ceiling behind me...but if its a big room with tall ceilings, the light isn't as good so i'll go with the bounce card...if the walls are a really warm color too...i use the card cause the wall will act like a gel.  If i am going with on and off cam...i generally don't diffuse and sett he power fairly low just to fill...that's why i want to try the snoot...snoot on cam and 2 off cam set low as to keep the ambient light...

In rooms with odd shaped ceilings (big rafters or other large obstructions) I through a honeycomb on the alien bee, set it to low and point it towards the dance floor...

I'm still learning all this, not anywhere near as good with it as i want to be...

I'm easily visualizing everything you're saying because I've tried some of it, myself.  Sounds like you're learning plenty.  The problem I've had with just ceiling bounce, is it makes the "chin shadow", and tends to put too much light on the background and not on the subject.  The sto-fen (pointed upward) worked better than ceiling bounce-only, because at least the chin shadow was smoothed and reduced somewhat.

If you increase the size and directionality of the light source, you get softer light...which in "run and gun" situations...seems like it would be preferable by default.  Studio lighting is entirely more involved, designed...and expensive. 

I completely agree though, about the color of the walls, and also wanting them close to white in color.  And if you have a white wall behind you (or slightly off to one side and behind)...that it can look best of all (the wall acts like a giant softbox that's actually facing the subject).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #567 on: September 18, 2013, 08:58:44 PM »

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: September 18, 2013, 09:09:57 PM »
"Interesting.  Several user reviews also said the flash's inboard card was as good as some of the bounce cards, etc."

Nonsense, the built in bounce card is next to useless. For really good modifiers I can't recommend the Rouge series of flags, deflectors, snoots etc enough, though I don't like their gels. And they have a great value clearance page http://www.expoimaging.com/index2.php?cPath=21&osCsid=5r1hn15rhmmhp67hgi67uj6pe7

Also do a search for "the black foamie thing" he is the master of on camera bounce flash, a real inspiration.

As for the images, yes, one and three are the 85 f1.2, I think the bokeh, which is a purely subjective thing, looks pretty bad in both of them. But it can often look amazing, bokeh is affected by so many more things than just aperture shape and size.

Thank you for the info!  I looked over the Rogue products.  Also, the "gotlux" bounce diffuser looked interesting.  I'm sure you'll say it sucks, haha.

Well I'm glad I matched the lenses to their shots...Chuck agreed with me.  The angle of view kind of gives it away...but that just goes to show ya...that there's a noticeable difference between 85mm and 100mm.  So these people that ask to choose between the 85L and the 135L, haven't thought at all about the angle of view they want...because they kind of don't have the photographer's "artistic eye"...if you ask me...which you didn't...haha.

I don't agree that the bokeh looks bad.  Maybe not extremely interesting, but not bad.  I've seen "bad bokeh"...haha.  My Sigma 120-400 can produce hashy bokeh in the transition area (but only when viewing at 1:1...and really only when shot towards the long end of the zoom)...so it's still not at all a deal breaker.

Tonight I shot some fawns running in my yard, ISO 25,600 at f/2 with my 135L, 1/640 sec.  The autofocus worked...barely...on the 6D (it was quite dark, single shot, center point).  What I really need is a 90-160 f/1.0 zoom with IS, made by Sigma...for under $5000!  Or else an array of flashes mounted on softboxes as big as the sky...haha!

andy

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 18, 2013, 10:54:41 PM »
A recent camping photo.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #569 on: September 18, 2013, 10:54:41 PM »