November 24, 2014, 04:29:59 AM

Author Topic: Anything shot with a 6D  (Read 229858 times)

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
Re: Anything shot with a 6D
« Reply #690 on: October 24, 2013, 08:29:38 AM »
Here's a simple subject but I wanted to play with night "light" with a heavy overcast.  The result is interesting, I believe:

Jacob's Ladder by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #690 on: October 24, 2013, 08:29:38 AM »

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: October 24, 2013, 09:39:40 PM »
Here's a simple subject but I wanted to play with night "light" with a heavy overcast.  The result is interesting, I believe:

Jacob's Ladder by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

In my opinion you're getting a tad carried away here, it's not your best work.  The light on the clouds looks like just city light...the more I see it the uglier it looks to me (kind of like "pepto bismal" or something...a dirty pink color).  The easiest thing in the world to shoot at night is this sort of light, since most people live near a city.

I do like the leaves in the foreground though.  Looks like you used some kind of yellow fill light, which at least goes along with the other light in the background.  Glad to see you enjoy that lens so much, Dustin.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #692 on: October 25, 2013, 12:18:58 AM »
Public Bank @ KLCC, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

6D + 17-40mm hand-held.  Just road-testing my 6D.  I'm amazed at how clean the files even at high ISO.

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #693 on: October 25, 2013, 09:00:32 AM »
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 09:12:49 AM by TWI by Dustin Abbott »
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #694 on: October 25, 2013, 09:12:32 AM »

In my opinion you're getting a tad carried away here, it's not your best work.  The light on the clouds looks like just city light...the more I see it the uglier it looks to me (kind of like "pepto bismal" or something...a dirty pink color).  The easiest thing in the world to shoot at night is this sort of light, since most people live near a city.

I do like the leaves in the foreground though.  Looks like you used some kind of yellow fill light, which at least goes along with the other light in the background.  Glad to see you enjoy that lens so much, Dustin.

Carl, with all due respect (and you and I have interacted in many positive ways), it seems that you are often far more likely to share your criticisms than you are your own work.  It's not that being critical is wrong; we all grow as artists through constructive criticism and rarely through "rah-rah" kind of praise.  The problem is that your criticism is rarely constructive; it tends towards abuse and disdain.

I understand that you probably didn't click through and look at the image on Flickr.  If you had, you would have discovered from my description that the whole point of this image was to try to execute a concept in suboptimal conditions (rainy, overcast sky) and try to make something creative using the light pollution from the city as well as some light painting in the foreground.  You're right in that this kind of night scene is one of the easiest for many to have access to, which is exactly the point.  I'm trying to inspire some people that look to me for inspiration to get out and shoot in the environment they have, even if it isn't the Grand Tetons.  The response I've had from the image in multiple venues tells me that I have accomplished my goal.

But that leads me to my final point, and the real reason that I am writing a response.  Because you didn't bother to do any further research and just spouted criticism, your criticism lacks any validity because it is, frankly, uninformed.

Keep criticizing (I have no problem with that), but if you are going to use phrases like, "...the more I see it, the uglier it gets...", you probably should expect that 1) you aren't going to make many friends and 2) you had better have the creative and artistic chops to back it up with your own work.

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #695 on: October 25, 2013, 09:14:44 AM »

6D + 17-40mm hand-held.  Just road-testing my 6D.  I'm amazed at how clean the files even at high ISO.

That is an excellent image, Jason.  The high ISO performance of the 6D is a revelation.  I went back and was processing some images shot for a client back when I using the 5DII and was shocked at how much color noise there was at ISO 1250.  It reminded me of how much of an improvement the 6D is in that area.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #696 on: October 25, 2013, 12:50:58 PM »

That is an excellent image, Jason.  The high ISO performance of the 6D is a revelation.  I went back and was processing some images shot for a client back when I using the 5DII and was shocked at how much color noise there was at ISO 1250.  It reminded me of how much of an improvement the 6D is in that area.

Thanks Dustin.  Coming from a 500D, 6D is really a revelation and a luxury.  Anyway, I'll be going to Langkawi, Malaysia next week for a Deepavali vacation.  Hopefully I can share better pictures.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #696 on: October 25, 2013, 12:50:58 PM »

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #697 on: October 25, 2013, 01:07:15 PM »

Carl, with all due respect (and you and I have interacted in many positive ways), it seems that you are often far more likely to share your criticisms than you are your own work.  It's not that being critical is wrong; we all grow as artists through constructive criticism and rarely through "rah-rah" kind of praise.  The problem is that your criticism is rarely constructive; it tends towards abuse and disdain.

I understand that you probably didn't click through and look at the image on Flickr.  If you had, you would have discovered from my description that the whole point of this image was to try to execute a concept in suboptimal conditions (rainy, overcast sky) and try to make something creative using the light pollution from the city as well as some light painting in the foreground.  You're right in that this kind of night scene is one of the easiest for many to have access to, which is exactly the point.  I'm trying to inspire some people that look to me for inspiration to get out and shoot in the environment they have, even if it isn't the Grand Tetons.  The response I've had from the image in multiple venues tells me that I have accomplished my goal.

But that leads me to my final point, and the real reason that I am writing a response.  Because you didn't bother to do any further research and just spouted criticism, your criticism lacks any validity because it is, frankly, uninformed.

Keep criticizing (I have no problem with that), but if you are going to use phrases like, "...the more I see it, the uglier it gets...", you probably should expect that 1) you aren't going to make many friends and 2) you had better have the creative and artistic chops to back it up with your own work.

What did you use for the light painting?  An incandescent, or something whiter with a yellow filter on it?  That part certainly worked.  I'm not trying to ruffle your feathers Dustin, and I did try to be constructive.  You are very much in error when you say my criticism is "rarely constructive".  That's just the way you are taking it.  I think you're a talented photographer, especially much of your portraiture (not that I'm an expert on portraiture obviously).  That's why this one bothered me a bit.  I really don't see it, as one of your more serious works, yet you are acting like it is.  I mean, it's just a ladder by itself...perhaps it was supposed to be more humorous than I took it?  It's stark out there by itself, not really humorous, not really serious either.  So it just doesn't work as well as an image.  It just seemed like it wasn't really worthy of posting for others to look at, as much as a lot of your others are...which are usually quite good.  And I do post my own work.  I may not be as interested in posting selfies as some people, but that's not really my thing.  I'm not so narcissistic, perhaps I should be though...I don't know.  Do you have to love yourself a lot to be a creative and productive artist?  Do you have to incessantly and shamelessly pat yourself on the back a lot, in order to be a success?  I just don't feel the need to toot my own horn so much, where my photo work is concerned.  And admittedly I'm not a nationally known photographer, I'm not a bigshot...but that doesn't invalidate my criticisms.  I have life experience and education as an artist, at least to a degree.  I'm sorry I didn't do further research on your image, but again, this particular one does not inspire me at all, and I stand by that.  If it is being found inspirational by others, I question their own artistic perspective.  We all can see things differently, and I'm sure your friends would be happy to tell me how invalid my criticism is, but it's valid...and the sky is rather grotesque.  Because light pollution is grotesque.  If you don't think it is, that's your opinion.  Doesn't invalidate mine, though.  If making friends with you means I have to be one of your yes men, then I guess we can't be friends.  But yes men aren't real friends anyway.  Bottom line, this shot we are discussing, is not worthy to stand with your other work.  I have plenty of shots that aren't worthy of my better shots, but I don't post those, nor do I even waste time looking at them much.  For this image Dustin, the emperor has no clothes...If an image needs to be explained, then by its very nature (and by even the name of your photo company), it fails.  If you had simply explained this briefly when you posted the picture, then I would have taken it for what it is.  But instead you implied that it was a serious work.  I call them like I see them, as do you.  Not going to your flickr for further explanation, is not my fault though.  I come to canonrumors to learn and to share, not to be redirected elsewhere to for long-winded philosophical indoctrinations...(no offense, not trying to be harsh with that, it just came out that way, and I like the way it sounds.)   
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 01:24:40 PM by CarlTN »

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: October 26, 2013, 01:25:03 AM »
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Art is subjective. Different strokes for different folks. Many great artists died penniless and obscure.
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #699 on: October 26, 2013, 01:39:51 AM »
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Art is subjective. Different strokes for different folks. Many great artists died penniless and obscure.

Of course.  And last week I sat through a lecture from a pro photographer big shot, who was hawking his stuff, and selling photo tours of a park at $475 a pop.  He also was keen to brag that he had over 400,000 images, and was listed with 11 different stock agencies...and showed about 100 images in a slideshow.  Some were pretty good, but I wasn't bowled over.  I've seen much better on here, as well as other places.  One he was happy to point out, had sold $35k worth of prints.  It was a very simple, uninspiring shallow DOF closeup of a bush.  And then he told the key to his success.  His wife was a very good salesperson.  Why was that the key?  Because with his personality, he would be nowhere without her!  I need a wife like that, myself!  He also said he never shoots anything without using a cable release, shutter delay, mirror lock, a tripod, and always leaves a polarizing filter on every lens he shoots...while simultaneously still managing (somehow) to shoot 1500 pictures a day.  Such folly!  Then he said he was going to buy a Nikon D800 because he was a sharpness freak, and that he needed to produce some images that would be blown up to 60 feet wide, or something...to be displayed permanently in some public building.  I asked "why not the D800E, rather than the 800?"  He said, "well, I studied it and got advice from friends, and decided it wasn't enough of an improvement".  Then someone else in the audience asked "where do you buy polarizer filters?"  His answer was "camera stores and places like that".  Needless to say I didn't get much out of this meeting, but I saw some nice people and some great photos (from other attendees and members).  Photography itself is very subjective, and often times makes no sense...not because of the equipment, but because of the loose screw behind the steering wheel!

The weekend before, was a day long lecture from Art Morris and his assistant.  That would have been more interesting!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 01:52:29 AM by CarlTN »

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #700 on: October 26, 2013, 09:07:10 AM »
Here's a moody piece that keys on the swirly bokeh effect from the old Helios 44-2:

Tunnel Vision by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #701 on: October 26, 2013, 09:11:27 AM »

What did you use for the light painting?  An incandescent, or something whiter with a yellow filter on it?  That part certainly worked.  I'm not trying to ruffle your feathers Dustin, and I did try to be constructive.  You are very much in error when you say my criticism is "rarely constructive".  That's just the way you are taking it.  I think you're a talented photographer, especially much of your portraiture (not that I'm an expert on portraiture obviously).  That's why this one bothered me a bit.  I really don't see it, as one of your more serious works, yet you are acting like it is.  I mean, it's just a ladder by itself...perhaps it was supposed to be more humorous than I took it?  It's stark out there by itself, not really humorous, not really serious either.  So it just doesn't work as well as an image.  It just seemed like it wasn't really worthy of posting for others to look at, as much as a lot of your others are...which are usually quite good.  And I do post my own work.  I may not be as interested in posting selfies as some people, but that's not really my thing.  I'm not so narcissistic, perhaps I should be though...I don't know.  Do you have to love yourself a lot to be a creative and productive artist?  Do you have to incessantly and shamelessly pat yourself on the back a lot, in order to be a success?  I just don't feel the need to toot my own horn so much, where my photo work is concerned.  And admittedly I'm not a nationally known photographer, I'm not a bigshot...but that doesn't invalidate my criticisms.  I have life experience and education as an artist, at least to a degree.  I'm sorry I didn't do further research on your image, but again, this particular one does not inspire me at all, and I stand by that.  If it is being found inspirational by others, I question their own artistic perspective.  We all can see things differently, and I'm sure your friends would be happy to tell me how invalid my criticism is, but it's valid...and the sky is rather grotesque.  Because light pollution is grotesque.  If you don't think it is, that's your opinion.  Doesn't invalidate mine, though.  If making friends with you means I have to be one of your yes men, then I guess we can't be friends.  But yes men aren't real friends anyway.  Bottom line, this shot we are discussing, is not worthy to stand with your other work.  I have plenty of shots that aren't worthy of my better shots, but I don't post those, nor do I even waste time looking at them much.  For this image Dustin, the emperor has no clothes...If an image needs to be explained, then by its very nature (and by even the name of your photo company), it fails.  If you had simply explained this briefly when you posted the picture, then I would have taken it for what it is.  But instead you implied that it was a serious work.  I call them like I see them, as do you.  Not going to your flickr for further explanation, is not my fault though.  I come to canonrumors to learn and to share, not to be redirected elsewhere to for long-winded philosophical indoctrinations...(no offense, not trying to be harsh with that, it just came out that way, and I like the way it sounds.)   

Carl, I like you.  I don't always agree with you.  I stand by my statements, as you obviously do yours.  OK.  Done.  Moving on.

To answer your question:  I have a small but powerful "tactical" LED flashlight that I carry in a pocket.  The light itself is far too powerful and direct for a close subject like the foreground, so I shine the light upward into my other hand cupped around it, and then very slightly lift my hand like a reflector and carefully shape and direct the light for only a portion of the exposure.  I count it off in relation to the length of the exposure and how much light I want produced.  It took some practice, but I feel like I have a fair handle on the technique at this stage.

DKN

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • 500px page
« Reply #702 on: October 27, 2013, 11:28:09 AM »
Latest shot with 6D + 24-105. In the next month I will try the same shot with a wider 14mm lens, I'm curious about the result.

http://500px.com/photo/50340684

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #702 on: October 27, 2013, 11:28:09 AM »

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #703 on: October 27, 2013, 05:11:21 PM »
Latest shot with 6D + 24-105. In the next month I will try the same shot with a wider 14mm lens, I'm curious about the result.

http://500px.com/photo/50340684

Very cool reflections and nice color.  Here is one taken with the Helios 44-4 lens.  I don't like it as well as the 44-2, but I got a few shots with it recently that I really like...like this one.

Hung Out to Dry by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #704 on: October 28, 2013, 06:46:06 AM »
Here's a moody piece that keys on the swirly bokeh effect from the old Helios 44-2:

Tunnel Vision by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

Nice dramatic effect though I would have preferred a little bit on the lighter side but this is an excellent use of bokeh. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #704 on: October 28, 2013, 06:46:06 AM »