December 21, 2014, 12:26:41 PM

Author Topic: End of the APS-H sized CMOS?  (Read 19037 times)

AJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: End of the APS-H sized CMOS?
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2011, 03:12:16 PM »
What if:

Canon were to start making FF sensors with two pixel densities: one very dense (perhaps 32 or 36 mpix) for those 3-4 fps 5D and 1Ds series cameras, and a lower density (maybe 24 or 18) mpix sensor for a 1D series camera.

The lower pixel density FF sensor would give unprecedented high-iso performance and allow huge fps.  It'd be great for sports, journalism, things like that.  It'd be great for video too!

Question then is of cost.  Right now APS-H sensors are only put into 1D cameras.  Would it be cheaper for Canon to produce two formats only?  Would a low-density FF sensor cost significantly more than a APS-H sensor with similar pixel count?

Cost of a sensor is relative to the size, pixel count is not important.  Canon has a good white paper explaining this. 

http://www.scribd.com/doc/38542576/Canon-Cmos-Wp

Production costs for a full-frame sensor can exceed twenty times the costs for an APS-C sensor. Only 20 full-frame sensors will fit on an 8-inch (200 mm) silicon wafer, and yield is comparatively low because the sensor's large area makes it very vulnerable to contaminants—20 evenly distributed defects could theoretically ruin an entire wafer. Additionally, the full-frame sensor requires three separate exposures during the photolithography stage, tripling the number of masks and exposure processes.[

True.  But there has to be some savings in mass production?

Right now they can make a 5D2 for less than a 1D4.  Yes I know there's a huge difference in build.  But it goes to show that sensors aren't the only thing determining camera cost.

Another thought: Maybe Canon can't beat Nikon in the high-iso department unless they increase the size of the sensor?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2011, 03:12:16 PM »

Terry_157

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2011, 06:17:16 PM »
Neuroanatomist,

My statement was 5 fps or better so if they could go 10 fps, all the better.  Works for me.

I get the glass investment -- may not seem much but I have about $3K right now in glass due to costs of insurance etc.  That is more than the $1,900 body.  But, I plan to keep 7D regardless if I change brands.

But, if I was going to invest $8K for a body and go to D4, one does that before he continues to invest too much in glass so I think we are on the same page.  What I have now, I am happy with.

I still think Canon is likely to bring to market new bodies by August/Sept that I will like.  I also have another application that is work related that I can use the 7D for given its remarkable 200/300/400/500/600/800mm glass capabilities.  For that purpose 1.6 crop factor has value.

So, I am not unhappy with Canon.  I just want to see APS-H stay in tact and improve in that direction.  Hopefully, meeting the specs I laid out.  All in all, I may break down and get an EOS 1D Mark IV for now so we'll see what August brings.

I also just read that in test, the 7D did better than Nikon D300 with noise overall.

hlphoto

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2011, 07:52:31 PM »
@ Terry: What's wrong with video in a body when it decreases the price of that same body just by being there?

@ ISO 51200 dude: But for noise only I would have opted for a 35 1.4 and shot wide open at 12800 ISO. Wonder where this high ISO hunger came from in the first place - people used to max out at 3200 B&W earlier and nobody really complained.

About 1Ds Mk2 / 1D Mk4 comparison: Is it all about noise? IQ is not equal to signal-to-noise ratio! Try reducing the noise in any application. A good example is 50D / 30D. The 50D goes higher in ISO, makes about equal noise in print, but when you need to fix it in post the 30D is the easier camera to use.
I would think twice about having a 50D push 3200 ISO, but use the 30D at 3200 without a doubt. With the 7D sensor, that has gotten a lot better again. Although there isn't much less noise at high ISOs than with the 50D (and even more at and below 1600), there's more per-pixel detail and noise reduction has gone back to quite effective again.

Reducing noise reduces detail too. If the noise is hard to kill and the detail isn't, there is no point in having a camera with a little bit less noise.

Bob Howland

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2011, 08:11:39 PM »
@ ISO 51200 dude: But for noise only I would have opted for a 35 1.4 and shot wide open at 12800 ISO. Wonder where this high ISO hunger came from in the first place - people used to max out at 3200 B&W earlier and nobody really complained.

Actually, I used a 24 f/1.4. Going to f/2.8 would have allowed me to use a 24-70 or a 70-200 IS. I was surrounded by people at the time and shooting time was extremely limited.

Nobody really complained? I know lots of people who complained...or they didn't even try to get the shot. The D3s does what I want. Why shouldn't Canon make a camera that does just as well or even better? (And, no, I'm not switching to Nikon, not with $20,000 in lenses.)

hlphoto

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2011, 08:27:14 PM »
Nobody really complained? I know lots of people who complained...or they didn't even try to get the shot. The D3s does what I want. Why shouldn't Canon make a camera that does just as well or even better? (And, no, I'm not switching to Nikon, not with $20,000 in lenses.)
Then the question becomes what do you think is important? I would rate DR and IQ over high ISO performance or megapixels.

And yes, high ISO performance is different than IQ. I prefer the 5D Mk2 over the 1D Mk4 for image quality (in print!) all the way up to ISO 6400, ISO 12800 in some situations. Above that, I would prefer using a D3s, but then again I wouldn't even shoot Canon if it wasn't for the videomode.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2011, 12:49:55 AM »
About 1Ds Mk2 / 1D Mk4 comparison: Is it all about noise? IQ is not equal to signal-to-noise ratio!

No, it's certainly not.  While I know you can't really boil a sensor down to a single metric, the DxOMark overall scores are equal for the two.  In fact, the 1DsII actually fares a little better than the 1DIV for ISO noise performance based on DxOMark.  But my point was that the overall IQ of those two cameras is pretty similar, which is an impressive feat of technology considering that the 1DIV has smaller pixels in a smaller sensor.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

NXT1000

« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2011, 06:02:45 AM »
good riddance, it is not here nor there. Just some where in between, like the 150m track race, a mickey mouse sensor size. What is the point today, if you can get good yield on full frame. If they can make a 1.6x sensor which have as good IQ as 1.3x, same noise performance, and pro body, no pro will use 1.3x. 1.3 is so has been.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2011, 06:02:45 AM »

hlphoto

« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2011, 07:13:18 AM »
About 1Ds Mk2 / 1D Mk4 comparison: Is it all about noise? IQ is not equal to signal-to-noise ratio!

No, it's certainly not.  While I know you can't really boil a sensor down to a single metric, the DxOMark overall scores are equal for the two.  In fact, the 1DsII actually fares a little better than the 1DIV for ISO noise performance based on DxOMark.  But my point was that the overall IQ of those two cameras is pretty similar, which is an impressive feat of technology considering that the 1DIV has smaller pixels in a smaller sensor.

Well.. I'm not all that impressed. More impressed by what Sony has done to their sensors and/or Nikon to their software: Compare the D80 and the D7000 for noise/IQ at ISO 3200 & get scared.

Eagle Eye

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2011, 01:43:13 PM »
Good riddance.  The 1.3x has little use once a full-frame high fps camera is released.  Anyone who can't afford the lenses will go to the 7D with a grip, a solid camera for sports.  The 1D has always been confused as to whether it was a studio camera or a sports camera, though granted it does both VERY well.  It's time to move on.  I would also surmise that the next 1Ds or equivalent will have a crop mode. 
Gear! When do we get gear?!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2011, 02:22:32 PM »
The 1D has always been confused as to whether it was a studio camera or a sports camera

It seems pretty clear that Canon has targeted the 1D series towards pros shooting action/sports/nature/photojournalism, and the 1Ds series toward studio and landscape pros.  From the 1DIV white paper: "For whom is the EOS-1D Mark IV designed? To begin with, it is for the EOS-1 Series’ traditional constituency: professional photographers in virtually every category from photo- journalism and sports through nature..."  From the 1DsIII white paper: "The EOS-1Ds Mark III is intended, most obviously, for professional studio photographers and landscape photographers..."  Yes, they go on to enumerate other uses for those bodies after I inserted the ellipses, but that's to avoid alienating a potential customer by excluding their chosen line of work.

As Darth Vader said, "There is no conflict." 

As a tool, a camera may be designed for one use but can serve other purposes.  A 5DII can be used to shoot sports, it's just not the best tool for the job, much in the way that you can use the handle of a screwdriver to pound in a nail.  The APS-H sensor seems to fit a need in the practical sense, but also in the economic sense (i.e. sensor production cost is a limiting factor).
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 02:46:08 PM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

rossbeckernz

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2011, 02:11:03 AM »
I've just bought my 2nd 1D4 to replace a damaged 1D3.  I carry both on a Black Rapid double strap.
An ultra-wide zoom on one side, EF-S 10-22mm, modified to fit the 1D4 which restricts it to 12-22 giving an EFL of 15 -27mm on the 1.3 crop.
A tele-zoom on the other side, EF 80-200mm f2.8L (magic drainpipe) on the other.
In my front bag carry a EF 20-35mm f2.8L when I really need something in the middle but usually I crop the ultra-wide image which saves changing lenses with dust everywhere.

Why two 1D4s?  When I'm in a dust laden dangerous disaster zone (which seems to be the norm these days), then I have found anything other than a 1 series doesn't cut it.  I don't need the high frame rate or 21MP. I do need the mechanical features that the 1 series gives.
You can see what I mean here http://goo.gl/zqwgK

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2011, 09:32:49 AM »
I've just bought my 2nd 1D4 to replace a damaged 1D3.  I carry both on a Black Rapid double strap.
An ultra-wide zoom on one side, EF-S 10-22mm, modified to fit the 1D4 which restricts it to 12-22 giving an EFL of 15 -27mm on the 1.3 crop.
A tele-zoom on the other side, EF 80-200mm f2.8L (magic drainpipe) on the other.
In my front bag carry a EF 20-35mm f2.8L when I really need something in the middle but usually I crop the ultra-wide image which saves changing lenses with dust everywhere.

Why two 1D4s?  When I'm in a dust laden dangerous disaster zone (which seems to be the norm these days), then I have found anything other than a 1 series doesn't cut it.  I don't need the high frame rate or 21MP. I do need the mechanical features that the 1 series gives.
You can see what I mean here http://goo.gl/zqwgK

Thanks, Ross. I'm looking forward to more posts from you.  Great practical information from someone with actual experience.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2011, 09:32:49 AM »