September 03, 2014, 03:58:12 AM

Author Topic: Which lenses will match a 40+MP camera?  (Read 4007 times)

kyklop

Which lenses will match a 40+MP camera?
« on: December 13, 2012, 09:10:32 AM »
I read lens reviews with great interest - The job can wait ....
The MTF charts tell me of the improving standards and which lenses to drool for.
Now some recent  reviews ask whether the actual lens’ performance exceeds the ability of  the sensor being used in the tests. 
Here is the question the other way round: Which lenses will match the awaited 40+ MP "Hawk-eye" sensor?
Here is my camera-bag:
5Dc and 5D MkII houses
50mm /1.4, Old Tamron 28-200 , TS-E 24 L (old), 16-35 / 2.8 L II, 70-300 L
Recently invested in a 24mm 2.8 IS as my price-dropped, but still expencive - pancake.
Which of them would survive a possible (theoretic) upgrade to a monstrous 40+ MP house? That is: will they give pictures sharp enough to justify the upgrade?
And how many other lenses would?
Will the new multi-MP cameras have many options, other than prime lenses in the future?
Or will we see new lenses with other optical qualities being sacrificed: CA, distortion, vignetting, etc., for higher MTF values?

canon rumors FORUM

Which lenses will match a 40+MP camera?
« on: December 13, 2012, 09:10:32 AM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Which lenses will match a 40+MP camera?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 11:02:09 AM »
If it can out-resolve the 7D, It should Out-resolve the 46Mp camera.

The 135L is one of those lenses.

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 11:40:26 AM »
To answer the OP's question: In my opinion you shouldn't have trouble using all your Canon lenses with a new high MP body. Any lens optimized for resolution and not optimized like the f1.2 lenses (and shot with large apertures) should be fine. Many, if not all L lenses in the f2 or f2.8 range and slower should be splendid with a high MP body. Large focal length range zooms, especially cheaper ones, won't be likely to deliver pleasant results with a high MP body.

Of course shooting a 50mm f1.4 wide open won't give you any brownie points with the high MP fairy  ;D, but then this applies to all very fast glass (f1.2-f1.8 ), that is you won't be able to fully realize a high MP body's potential with fast glass with a maximum aperture beyond f2 shot wide open. I would rather use such a high MP body to shoot at apertures like f8, while I use my 1D-X for the fast glass.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 11:46:10 AM by AmbientLight »

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 01:00:21 PM »
This topic has been a bone of contention in these forums with endless paragraphs written, argued about, and flamed over...

I can hardly add much more to what has been said other than simply state my own view: I think the modern sensors are more and more demanding, and less and less forgiving. While Canon has done a fair job updating their lenses in recent years some of the older lenses I am sure would not stand up so well. One has to presume that in designing updates for their lenses, Canon is sure to have taken into account their top sensors in the pipeline. But what can be considered "new" with the lenses is probably a sliding scale....
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 01:22:42 PM »
I'm still in the camp that thinks if it was good enough for film it's good enough for digital. Also at 40MP on 35mm sensors. Much beyond that we'll get resolution problems anyway that have nothing to do with the lenses. So it's really a non-issue.

The bigger question to me still is when we'll have printing technology available that can actually portrait this kind of resolution.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 01:24:30 PM by 7enderbender »
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

dhofmann

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 02:41:26 PM »
46MP on a 36x24mm sensor has close to the same pixel density as 18MP on an APS-C sensor. So you can test your lenses now. My 85mm f/1.8 stopped down just barely outresolves my 550D's 18MP in the center of the frame.
t2i

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 03:02:06 PM »
46MP on a 36x24mm sensor has close to the same pixel density as 18MP on an APS-C sensor. So you can test your lenses now. My 85mm f/1.8 stopped down just barely outresolves my 550D's 18MP in the center of the frame.

But it'll be a different story around the edges on full frame. I still don't get this 40MP thing: it's hard enough to realise full potential of 22Mp on a FF size chip. People talk about producing Billboard size prints but Billboards are always printed at a very low resolution anyway !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 03:02:06 PM »

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 03:08:34 PM »

This is not a fair test.  All lenses have better resolution in the center area of the image.  APS-C (7D etc) usese this area only. In FF the full field is being used, and the resolution for off enter area will drop. Some might even drop drastically.

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 03:13:16 PM »

This is not a fair test.  All lenses have better resolution in the center area of the image.  APS-C (7D etc) usese this area only. In FF the full field is being used, and the resolution for off enter area will drop. Some might even drop drastically.

It Should outresolve the hypothetical 46mp sensor.

The 135L has outresolved pretty much any camera I've used, so it would be a great candidate for this non-existent sensor.

dhofmann

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 03:33:28 PM »
All lenses have better resolution in the center area of the image.

Which is fine because the center of the image is where you need the most resolution anyway, especially when you're using wider apertures.
t2i

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 03:39:27 PM »

Only at thec enter area. Look at the review of lenses on DPreview, especially at the outer part of the FF. Out-resove everything you have does not mean that it will out-resolve the 40MP sensor. What you go may out resolve a 22MP FF but there is no guarantee tah tiyt will out resolve the 40MP FF.

The 135L has outresolved pretty much any camera I've used, so it would be a great candidate for this non-existent sensor.

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 03:42:07 PM »
All lenses have better resolution in the center area of the image.

Which is fine because the center of the image is where you need the most resolution anyway, especially when you're using wider apertures.
It is okay for portrait, but not for landscape, city scape or interior of buildings.

dhofmann

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »
...the center of the image is where you need the most resolution anyway, especially when you're using wider apertures.
It is okay for portrait, but not for landscape, city scape or interior of buildings.

Why would you be shooting those wide open?
t2i

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 04:33:48 PM »

Only at thec enter area. Look at the review of lenses on DPreview, especially at the outer part of the FF. Out-resove everything you have does not mean that it will out-resolve the 40MP sensor. What you go may out resolve a 22MP FF but there is no guarantee tah tiyt will out resolve the 40MP FF.

Word: Should

(auxiliary) Will likely (become or do something); indicates that the subject of the sentence is likely to execute the sentence predicate.

Your 135L Should out-resolve that 1Ds MarkVI with its amazing 46mp sensor.

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 07:52:08 PM »

Word: Should

(auxiliary) Will likely (become or do something); indicates that the subject of the sentence is likely to execute the sentence predicate.

Your 135L Should out-resolve that 1Ds MarkVI with its amazing 46mp sensor.
"SHOULD" is a too strong endorsement. I would rather use the word 'MAY". epecially you do not have any data to back it up. I just hate to see someone take your'advice" and spend tons of money now and regret it later.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 07:54:34 PM by Rocky »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 07:52:08 PM »