July 30, 2014, 11:51:45 AM

Author Topic: Which lenses will match a 40+MP camera?  (Read 3903 times)

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Which lenses will match a 40+MP camera?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 07:57:24 PM »
...the center of the image is where you need the most resolution anyway, especially when you're using wider apertures.
It is okay for portrait, but not for landscape, city scape or interior of buildings.

Why would you be shooting those wide open?
I am not talking about wide open. lenses still have less resolution at the corner than the center even they have been stopped down. Just read you own previous post.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 07:57:24 PM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 11:20:16 PM »
Have you even used the 135L? ???

Zlatko

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 01:19:38 PM »
Here is the question the other way round: Which lenses will match the awaited 40+ MP "Hawk-eye" sensor?
Which of them would survive a possible (theoretic) upgrade to a monstrous 40+ MP house? That is: will they give pictures sharp enough to justify the upgrade?
Are you making very large prints?  If not, then a 40mp sensor will make little difference, and all lenses will look the same as with a lower res sensor.  As I've gone from 4mp to 6mp to 8mp to 12mp to 22mp, my lenses survived every camera upgrade because my usual print size has remained constant, usually not bigger than 11x14".  I think 40+ mp will make a difference for people who print very large.

ahab1372

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 01:31:50 PM »
Are you making very large prints?  If not, then a 40mp sensor will make little difference, and all lenses will look the same as with a lower res sensor.  As I've gone from 4mp to 6mp to 8mp to 12mp to 22mp, my lenses survived every camera upgrade because my usual print size has remained constant, usually not bigger than 11x14".  I think 40+ mp will make a difference for people who print very large.
Or for those who always shoot widest angle and worry about composition in PP :)

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 05:09:53 PM »
Not claiming to know everything (and even before it appears on the market) I kind of refrain from putting exact numbers on this case.

Nevertheless I am convinced that it is quite correct to state that most current lenses and also the better older lenses can be used with what appears today to be very high MP bodies, such as the rumoured 46 MP body.

I expect serious problems to appear only in case of compromise designs, for example cheap super-zoom lenses, which are likely to be used out-of-context of what they had been designed for. You will also be more likely to see defects/errors in other designs doing pixel-peeping, but related to the end product (a picture) what would be the point? Walls/prints/screens won't magically become larger, only crops in photos will contain more detail. That doesn't necessarily force us to crop from a corner of a lens with noticeable corner distortion and there are correction possibilities in post-processing, too, so I don't see old lenses going bad all of a sudden. We will just be more susceptible to buying better lenses, because we will be able to see the difference with increased clarity.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 05:09:53 PM »