September 22, 2014, 10:36:54 PM

Author Topic: Which (if any) non-L lenses are enviro-sealed?  (Read 5298 times)

curby

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Which (if any) non-L lenses are enviro-sealed?
« on: December 13, 2012, 12:10:54 PM »
So, thread title says it all.  I imagine it goes something like this:

Customer: Why isn't the 17-55/2.8 IS environmentally sealed?
Canon: That's a feature we offer on our L-designated lenses.
Customer: So weather-sealing is something that only high-end gear offers?
Canon: Essentially.
Customer: But prosumer bodies like the 60D are sealed as well.
Canon: Our innovative lens mounts allow such customers to use sealed EF lenses for a fully dust- and moisture-resistant system.
Customer: Due to the crop factor of such bodies, a 24-70/2.8 L would end up being too long. 
Canon: You could use the EF 16-35mm f/2.8 USM L.
Customer: So the only option would be a lens that costs twice as much as the camera and is obviously intended for a different purpose and platform?  Why do you offer sealed EF-S cameras, but no sealed general-purpose lenses intended for those cameras?
Canon: ... Jeez, you guys are picky.

canon rumors FORUM

Which (if any) non-L lenses are enviro-sealed?
« on: December 13, 2012, 12:10:54 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Which (if any) non-L lenses are enviro-sealed?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 12:17:16 PM »
There are no environmentally sealed EF-S cameras, so they do not seal to a environmentally sealed lens in any event, and the lens mount is a biggie.

It does not make much sense to seal EF-S lenses.  Of course, they could seal the bodies, but they won't.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 12:26:25 PM »

The 60D has some degree of weather sealing, but not much.  The 7D has decent sealing, as does the 5DIII.  But the true pro bodies (vs. 'prosumer' whatever that means) have a much higher level of sealing - O-rings where lesser bodies use foam, rubber or foam where lesser bodies rely on tight joins, an additional seal around the lens mount that mates with the gasket on sealed lenses, etc. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

PackLight

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 12:45:42 PM »
I doubt the conversation would go anything like that.

Canon seems to avoid words like sealed and sealing, although sometimes I have seen it mentioned. Probably because there are many that miss understand when they say a lens is weather sealed, the immediatly think it is water tight and vaccum sealed.

Case in point go to Canon's website and look at the 70-200mm f/2.8 II and look at the description. Do a word search for sealed or seal.
Open up the owners manual do the word search, here is the only statement I found "7. Tight seal structure ensures excellent dust-proof and drip-proof performance."

No mention of "sealed"

Halfrack

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 02:13:31 PM »
So is this a Nikon troll or a Pentax thing...?

If Canon says it's weather sealed, a user is expecting to shoot outside in a downpour of rain without any impact.  To actually pull that off is actually hard, and it impacts the cost of the lens and body.  With ef-s, it's a trade off platform.  If you want weather protected, grab a $6 cover.

The lens you'd be using is the EF 17-40mm f4L with a UV filter to achieve weather sealed.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 02:37:58 PM »
Do non-professionals really stand in the pouring rain, getting soaked, taking pictures?
I wouldn't be doing that if I wasn't getting paid for it- even if my gear is weather-sealed, I am not!
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 02:57:13 PM »
Yes I do/have, you simple have to use common sense and the appropriate precautions and shooting in pissing rain even with a 500D and kit lens isn’t an issue.
(and I was going to add a pic example but I can’t find it…… oh dear now I have something else to worry about  :o >:()

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 02:57:13 PM »

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 03:04:13 PM »
Yes I do/have, you simple have to use common sense and the appropriate precautions and shooting in pissing rain even with a 500D and kit lens isn’t an issue.
(and I was going to add a pic example but I can’t find it…… oh dear now I have something else to worry about  :o >:()

Yeah well, when you've taken those precautions (umbrellas, mackintoshes, etc.) then you're not really standing in the rain, getting soaked are you?  8)
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

PackLight

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 03:07:59 PM »
Do non-professionals really stand in the pouring rain, getting soaked, taking pictures?

Only the ones who aren't smart enough to be prepared and bring a poncho or slicker with them for emergencies.

BruinBear

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 03:22:35 PM »

The 60D has some degree of weather sealing, but not much.  The 7D has decent sealing, as does the 5DIII.  But the true pro bodies (vs. 'prosumer' whatever that means) have a much higher level of sealing - O-rings where lesser bodies use foam, rubber or foam where lesser bodies rely on tight joins, an additional seal around the lens mount that mates with the gasket on sealed lenses, etc.

+1 to this. I have talked with canon technical support and they say that the 60D is not weathersealed.
You can see the seals for yourself in these two pictures.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E60D/ZSEALS1-LG.JPG
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E60D/ZSEALS2-LG.JPG

It just has some basic gaskets and seals under the buttons.  What actually worries me the most is lack of seals around the flash unit.  I would not take the camera in anything more than a very light sprinkle.

Also, 17-40 f/4 as someone else mentioned is a pretty cheap weathersealed lens with a filter.
6D, 60D, 17-40L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 24-105L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 40mm Pancake, Helios 44-M4 (55mm f/2), 1.4X Extender III, 430EX II, Yongnuo YN-622 Flash Triggers.
EOS-M, 22mm, EF Adapter.
And Canonet QL-17 GIII Film!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 03:47:57 PM »

I have.  Wearing a rain coat and rain pants, I stayed pretty dry. My gear did not. 1D X and sealed lens - no issues.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

picturesbyme

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • AtlanticPicture.com
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 03:52:51 PM »
To actually pull that off is actually hard, and it impacts the cost of the lens and body.  With ef-s, it's a trade off platform.  If you want weather protected, grab a $6 cover.
The lens you'd be using is the EF 17-40mm f4L with a UV filter to achieve weather sealed.

True.
On the other hand Oly did it with the E3, E5 and they cost about the same as the recent crop bodies.
(http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=10724.msg192116#msg192116)

eventually I agree with the rain cover, even if the gear is sealed, it saves time cleaning later.

lol

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My dA
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 04:01:03 PM »
I typically will bring waterproofs for myself, and/or an umbrella depending on the severity of the forecast. Yes, I can hold an umbrella and use a DSLR at the same time! The camera kit though doesn't get any protection. I looked at the glorified plastic bags before but they just get in the way.

It takes more rain than you think for things to start playing up even if they're not perfectly sealed.

Here's a 7D + 70-300L after an unexpected heavy shower. On this occasion I didn't have any rain prevention at all as nothing was forecast. I do find if I spend more than a few hours in the rain with the 7D, the rear joystick can start playing up.

My main lens though is the 100-400L, which is less sealed than the 70-300L. After some hours in the rain, the 100-400L will develop condensation inside which blocks the optical path. Unless you really love the soft focus look, I switch to a backup lens and keep shooting. It dries out fine when I get home, just leave the caps off for a bit.
Canon 1D, 300D IR, 450D full spectrum, 600D, 5D2, 7D, EF 35/2, 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 135/2+SF, 70-300L, 100-400L
EF-S 15-85, TS-E 24, MP-E 65, Zeiss 50/2 macro, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8 OS, Samyang 8mm fisheye

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 04:01:03 PM »

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 04:08:40 PM »

I have.  Wearing a rain coat and rain pants, I stayed pretty dry. My gear did not. 1D X and sealed lens - no issues.

Both of you misunderstand my point.

When I say "even if my gear is weather-sealed, I am not" I mean when I have not predicted the rain (I used to live in Oregon, and one cannot always carry a poncho or an umbrella). Neuro mentions using rain coat and pants, Zim mentions "precautions and common sense"- I am talking about those times when you'd definitely get soaked if you kept taking pictures!

The point I am trying to make is- if you cannot afford weather-sealed gear, and didn't take precautions to protect your gear (and self!) in case of rain, you probably don't have to risk damaging them unless you are a professional (in which case the shot might be worth the risk). So if you have chosen not to invest in lenses double the cost of your camera for their rainworthiness, then you probably don't need it. That the whole point of non-L lenses not being weather-sealed is moot.

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 04:37:06 PM »
Just rock this bad boy and you can get REALLY EXTREME!!!

7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 04:37:06 PM »