August 28, 2014, 07:15:08 AM

Author Topic: Which (if any) non-L lenses are enviro-sealed?  (Read 5173 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Which (if any) non-L lenses are enviro-sealed?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 06:33:10 PM »
Both of you misunderstand my point.

When I say "even if my gear is weather-sealed, I am not" I mean when I have not predicted the rain (I used to live in Oregon, and one cannot always carry a poncho or an umbrella). Neuro mentions using rain coat and pants, Zim mentions "precautions and common sense"- I am talking about those times when you'd definitely get soaked if you kept taking pictures!

Even then, yes.  Trips to an amusement park with my kids, 1D X and 24-105L went with me on raft rides, flume rides, and even a slow-moving boat ride where you have water cannon battles with other boats and with bystanders.  Completely soaked, but got done great pics of the kids.   :)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Halfrack

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 06:33:50 PM »
Just rock this bad boy and you can get REALLY EXTREME!!!

I love my D20, but HATE how AF works for it :(
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 06:48:12 PM »
Both of you misunderstand my point.

When I say "even if my gear is weather-sealed, I am not" I mean when I have not predicted the rain (I used to live in Oregon, and one cannot always carry a poncho or an umbrella). Neuro mentions using rain coat and pants, Zim mentions "precautions and common sense"- I am talking about those times when you'd definitely get soaked if you kept taking pictures!

Even then, yes.  Trips to an amusement park with my kids, 1D X and 24-105L went with me on raft rides, flume rides, and even a slow-moving boat ride where you have water cannon battles with other boats and with bystanders.  Completely soaked, but got done great pics of the kids.   :)

All right, I stand corrected. You didn't quote or comment on my next paragraph though. I wouldn't want the above (cough: incorrect) paragraph to distract from the point I was trying to make.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3

Ryan708

• EOS M2
  • Less bickering, more shooting
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 08:16:45 PM »
anyone know how the sealing is on the 6D? I have heard the 5dII is so-so, but it was a more "pro" cam than the 6d is intended
60D, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4, Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 VC, EF 50mm 1.8II, and a Sigma EF-610 DG superflash

curby

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 09:06:40 PM »
Hey folks, thanks for the replies.  I'm definitely a Canon user and proponent, not a Nikon troll in disguise.  That said, most companies you're a fan of probably still do things that annoy you.  =)

Re: the conversation in the OP, it was meant to be facetious.  I don't imagine for an instant that any official rep would say those things, but it's pretty much what their product lineup says for them. 

From a more personal angle, I was recently on a harbor cruise down in NZ where it got a bit rough and we had some (like many gallons of) salt spray coming over the bow.  I left my 70-200/4 on the body for most of the time even when the 17-55/2.8 would have been the better choice at times.  The reason was because the 17-55 is infamous for being just slightly less porous than a sieve, whereas the 70-200 at least tries (based on the descriptions and reviews).  They're comparable in price and quality, but one says L and the other isn't sealed.

I shoot with a 400Xt, which is definitely not sealed.  It has survived that and other moist excursions, but I've never had it out in an actual downpour. 

Lastly I know that a "sealed" product isn't meant for underwater use and a non-sealed product won't short out when touched by a sweaty hand.  It's a continuum, but it's a strange and bumpy one.  If neither the 60D nor the 7D even tried at all with sealing, at least I could see the consistency.  As it is, it's a bit schizo. 

tl;dr;deadhorse: Canon makes nice stuff for the EF-S crowd too, from bodies to lenses.  Some better enviro-sealing on the glass would be nice. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 09:09:58 PM by curby »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 09:34:16 PM »
Just buy one of these (Dicapac) for your environmental sealing.  It's not perfect but you can stand in the rain for hours and hours and hours.  Just don't expect too much comfort/control when using these.  As I'm planning to go to picture Puerto Princesa's Underground river using a boat, I'm going to buy one of these and hopefully I can take some awesome pictures.

http://shashinki.com/shop/dicapac-korea-m-54.html?osCsid=697fce5808e66455a85b8afcaf666af2

Area256

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 11:18:05 PM »
anyone know how the sealing is on the 6D? I have heard the 5dII is so-so, but it was a more "pro" cam than the 6d is intended

I can't compare it to the 5D3 since I don't own one.  However I can say it is more sealed than the 60D.  The battery and memory card doors have foam pads in some places, and close together more tightly than those of the 60D.  The port covers also fit better, and seem to be shaped to help keep water out.  And judging by the feel of the buttons, I would guess there is a rubber component going back into the body on all of them.

I think it'll do a good job of keeping dust out, and some light splashes aren't likely to be a problem. However I'm not sure it would stand up to prolonged exposure to water (i.e. being shot in heavy rain).  Although this is mostly speculation based on looking at it... I could be totally wrong, have to wait until I get caught in the rain without a bag to be sure ;)
6D, 24-105mm f/4L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 40mm f/2.8, lots of strobist stuff.
Flickr  500px

pj1974

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 12:49:12 AM »
I have the Canon 7D, which is really quite decent in terms of weathering some light rain, etc. Definitely a few steps above my Canon 350D.

In terms of lenses, definitely the best non-L build that I have are shared by the Canon 100mm USM macro (nonL) and the Canon 15-85mm USM.  Both are very sturdy. I've happily let them get a bit of dust and light spray or light rain, without issues.  8)

I also had the Canon 28-135mm USM lens, which wasn't as good as the above two... it let in more moisture (and the smallest amount of dust).

Then again, no other lens I own comes close to my Canon 70-300mm L - but hey, that's an L!  ;)

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

epsiloneri

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 02:38:26 AM »
My main lens though is the 100-400L, which is less sealed than the 70-300L. After some hours in the rain, the 100-400L will develop condensation inside which blocks the optical path. Unless you really love the soft focus look, I switch to a backup lens and keep shooting.
Switching lenses during rain to get better sealing doesn't sound like a good idea, unless you can get away from the rain to do that.

Zusje

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 03:20:56 AM »
I have used the 70-300 f4-5.6 is usm NON-L lens on a 50D breifly in the rain and afterward standing under dripping trees, they got abit wet but no harm done.

NormanBates

• 6D
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 05:29:22 AM »
I would like to learn more about weather sealing. Like: what is good and what is not so good? what's the difference between o-ring and foam?
Any links? pics? threads?
Thanks