September 30, 2014, 04:17:50 PM

Author Topic: Moving to 6D from 5DII  (Read 12869 times)

M.ST

Re: Moving to 6D from 5DII
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 01:48:08 AM »
I don´t need high ISO, auto ISO, Wifi; I focus often manually and not willing to use sd cards. Only my girlfriend use sd cards in the Leica M.

If I look at the shutter durability of the 6D (5d Mark III) I am not impressed in this price class.

I hold the 5D Mark II. The only cons is, that my first 5D Mark II died after 480.000 shots.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 01:48:08 AM »

nickorando

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 03:52:06 AM »
Well I HAVE moved from 5D II to 6D, and for my uses, it's a no-brainer. The 5D III might be a brilliant camera, but it's heavier and the grip is larger - it's much less comfortable to use for me personally. The 6D saves some weight and feels perfect in my hands. I don't need the fanciest AF system going, but I DO need it to work accurately in very low light from time to time. I do need WiFi - well, perhaps "need" is a little strong, but it's very, very useful to me. I do want GPS. I do need high ISO fairly often. All in all, the 6D resolves pretty much all of the issues I've had with the 5D II - including position of the main On/Off switch.

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 11:46:33 AM »
Just had a chance to play with the 6D earlier today at the local Canon service center. After comparing with the 5D3 on the same shelf, the 6D definitely is a bit smaller overall (especially the grip part is slightly bit thinner than the 5D3).

However, there's one thing that really turned me away from the 6D... No joystick!!! Argh!!! :'(
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 12:35:31 PM »
One small thing that I really like is the 6D mode selection dial will spin 360 degrees in either direction.

No more stop lock at the end gap forcing one to reverse the dial and go all the way back around.  This is maddening on the 60D where you have to spin it almost a full 360 back the other way if you are in Av or M and want to go to Movie mode.  Very silly when the movie mode was only 2 or 3 direct clicks away if the stop lock didn't "divide" the top and bottom of the list.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

nickorando

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 02:31:04 PM »
Just had a chance to play with the 6D earlier today at the local Canon service center. After comparing with the 5D3 on the same shelf, the 6D definitely is a bit smaller overall (especially the grip part is slightly bit thinner than the 5D3).

However, there's one thing that really turned me away from the 6D... No joystick!!! Argh!!! :'(

It's taken me less than a whole week to realise that that's actually an improvement...

Wildfire

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2012, 02:17:54 AM »
Just got my 6D in the mail today. Replaced my 5D2 (sold for $1500, which is about what I paid for it earlier this year). I intended to get the 5D3 but decided to go with the smaller/lighter 6D and save some money in the process. I've only had it for a few hours but I can tell you that the 6D is better than the 5D2, hands down. It may not be a HUGE improvement, but there's nothing about the 6D that is worse than the 5D2.

Out of the 5D2, 5D3, and 6D, the 5D2 is the worst camera! It's a great DSLR, but if you could get the 5D2 and the 6D at the same or a similar price there's no reason not to go with the new body.

I would absolutely love to have the AF of the 5D3 (or even the 7D!), but other than that I can't really find fault with the 6D. Performs great in low light (both AF and ISO). I was always hesitant to go over 1600 ISO with the 5D2, with the 6D ISO 6400 is no problem. Even the shots at 8000 ISO I would consider useable.

6D is a great camera. I know the day will come when I sell it and replace it with a 5D3, but until then I will enjoy it immensely!

axel

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2012, 05:52:46 AM »
any facts about shutter live ????

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2012, 05:52:46 AM »

FrutigerSans

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2012, 07:46:43 AM »
Does the lack of a dedicated WB button bother anyone? I’m the sort who’ll usually switch WB even if I shoot in raw to get a better feel of things on site. Having to menu dive for WB has turned me off switching my 5D2 in for a 6D

Dukinald

• Rebel T5i
  • aloha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2012, 10:38:34 AM »
5D2 -> 5D3
rebel -> either 5D2, 6D, 7D/2
7D -> either 5D3 or 7D/2

Depending on your purpose these might change.  A 5D2 to 6D seems not a very big upgrade.  However if you're in a business and 5D2 is enough for most of the things you do and it's already near breaking point, an upgrade to 6D isn't unimaginable.  Let your purpose/goal decide what's truly an upgrade for you and not just because whatever has better specs.

Very informative video Michael.

I belong to the "rebel -> either 5D2, 6D" group..

It is now even harder to decide which FF to get specially with the 5D2 being discontinued, the prices will continue to drop (<$1500 in newegg reported in another post).

What to do, what to do ?    :-\
Bodies: Canon 6D, 70D, T2i gripped, EOS 5, EOS 100, EOS M
Lenses:EF 24-105 F4L, EF 70-200 F2.8L mkII, EF 100 F2.8L,  EF 50 F1.8, EF-S 18-55mm, EF 28-80 USM, EF-M 22, Rokinon 8mm HD Fisheye, M mount adapter
Other : 540EZ, 320EX, 430EX II, Yongnuo triggers & strobist stuff

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2012, 12:47:40 PM »
Does the lack of a dedicated WB button bother anyone? I’m the sort who’ll usually switch WB even if I shoot in raw to get a better feel of things on site. Having to menu dive for WB has turned me off switching my 5D2 in for a 6D

I have the same gripe with it not having the WB button my old 60D had. I used to set the "set" button to go straight to white balance settings and now I can't do it with the 6D. I found a temporary workaround setting the "set" button to open menu and as long as I have it selected previously I can double click the "set" button. I also put white balance into "my menu" to isolate it from other options I might accidentally mess with. Well, I said temporary because it would be a lot nicer if the next firmware let us set it directly. My 5D mark III bodies don't have this issue, which is why I always take them with me for events work now while the 6D stays home as a reserve body with my 1D mark III, in the studio, or for when I just want something light and small for vacationing and travel. I bought it because I saw my wife having way too much fun with hers, and she wouldn't let me borrow it long enough past a few test shots. Either way it's still way better than the 60D I replaced it with, I'm glad I don't have to shoot 1.6 crop anymore even for casual use.
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 5D mark III, and 2x6D. Canon 24mm Samyang/Rokinon, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2012, 08:52:04 PM »
it seems to be a good choice, the FWC and QE is higher in 6d compare to 5dmk2 and 5dmk3.
You gain little bit in high iso and even in DR  but there is not any heavy visible banding in 6d as in 5dmk2 mk3 at base iso

I need to shoot some test shots with the 6D and see for myself how much difference there is in low ISO banding and noise structures.
I'd like to retain at least one decent Canon FF body.  The 5d2 was a disappointment to me from day 1.  I must've given too much credence to the FF fan boys out there who were raving about it at the time..
I'm a much harsher critic now.
6D fits my hand fairly well, would feel comfortable in use.
Just have to wait until cost differential of selling 5d2 to buying 6D is optimal.

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2012, 02:58:41 AM »
IF the AF point in the middle  is sensitive as Canon claims it is a big bonus compared to 5dmk2 .

that too
Altho center AF on my 5d2 worked very well in super low light with a fast lens, no complaints.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2012, 02:58:41 AM »