November 27, 2014, 06:14:20 PM

Author Topic: Wrong colors with my 5D MKIII?  (Read 3978 times)

PeterJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Wrong colors with my 5D MKIII?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 11:03:10 PM »
I do quite a bit of amateur food photography and get largely the same results with auto white balance, as per other suggestions get a target of some form to white balance.

The only other thing I'd throw in there is that things are easier if you don't have mixed lighting, the shot looks like you used a flash, and I'm guessing that was the case considering ISO 640, f/2.5 and 1/250th. For food you'll probably get better results going down the path of a tripod and longer exposure times. Sometimes a single flash can give some pretty unnatural looking shadows on food even if you bounce it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 11:03:10 PM »

Area256

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 12:40:47 AM »
I do quite a bit of amateur food photography and get largely the same results with auto white balance, as per other suggestions get a target of some form to white balance.

The only other thing I'd throw in there is that things are easier if you don't have mixed lighting, the shot looks like you used a flash, and I'm guessing that was the case considering ISO 640, f/2.5 and 1/250th. For food you'll probably get better results going down the path of a tripod and longer exposure times. Sometimes a single flash can give some pretty unnatural looking shadows on food even if you bounce it.

Looking at the image, I don't think a flash was used there.  If you are going to use flash with food photography getting an umbrella and light stand kit for like $60 will make a world of difference. (you'll also need a cheap sync cable or radio trigger if you have more money)  If you are going to shoot with a mix of flash and artificial interior light, add a colour gel to your flash and that should fix any mixed color temp issues (use a 1/2 or full CTO or CTB depending on the other light you are working with).
6D, 24-105mm f/4L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 40mm f/2.8, lots of strobist stuff.
Flickr  500px

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 12:40:47 AM »