July 22, 2014, 09:31:15 AM

Author Topic: EOS Solutions Disc latest version?  (Read 3802 times)

malchick743

EOS Solutions Disc latest version?
« on: December 14, 2012, 06:24:22 AM »
What's the latest version of such disc?  v26?  v27?

Anyone got a new camera eg. 6D and can tell me?

Deleted illegal request  - Administrator
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 11:53:15 AM by scalesusa »

canon rumors FORUM

EOS Solutions Disc latest version?
« on: December 14, 2012, 06:24:22 AM »

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
Re: EOS Solutions Disc latest version?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 01:42:27 AM »
You can also download the software from Canon. Maybe it bit more work. On the other hand, you can choose what you want and what not. And, online is always the latest version of the software
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

malchick743

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 07:30:59 AM »
You can also download the software from Canon. Maybe it bit more work. On the other hand, you can choose what you want and what not. And, online is always the latest version of the software
No, straightly speaking you CAN'T
In order to install online updates you'll need to have the original Solutions Disc (actual disc or ISO image) in place

Not that one can't live with an older Solution Disc version, but it's always better and preferable to have the latest version readily available whenever possible

I'm sure people like myself and tq0cr5i know this very well... but apparently you don't understand this

So... any 6D users who can chip in the help?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 07:32:52 AM by malchick743 »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 11:25:14 AM »

In order to install online updates you'll need to have the original Solutions Disc (actual disc or ISO image) in place

Well, actually, you can.  It does take a little more work.  Keith at Northlight provides instructions.  Basically, you either spoof the Registry (Windows) or delete a file from a duplicated installer package (Mac), which 'tricks' the installer into thinking you've already got Canon software installed.  In spite of the check for previously installed Canon software, every updater is actually a full install.

But of course, you can only update as far as the latest available download from Canon, and the newest cameras usually ship with a version of DPP than is later than that, a version not made available for download until a newer update is released.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 11:26:48 AM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 11:58:42 AM »
This is not a Warez site, we do not lat posters advertise for illegal copies of copyrighted software or to post links.

Neuro gave a link that will let you install Canon software like DPP, but if you want software for the 6D, you need to buy one or wait until Canon posts the latest version.

RustyTheGeek

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 12:46:31 PM »
The moderator removed my post about the software that came with my 6D.  I tried.  Guess I stepped in it this time.  Sorry moderator dude!  Didn't mean to offend!

BTW, the latest version is 27.1
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 12:48:46 PM by RustyTheGeek »
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 02:32:25 PM »

Well, actually, you can.  It does take a little more work.  Keith at Northlight provides instructions.  Basically, you either spoof the Registry (Windows) or delete a file from a duplicated installer package (Mac), which 'tricks' the installer into thinking you've already got Canon software installed.  In spite of the check for previously installed Canon software, every updater is actually a full install.

But of course, you can only update as far as the latest available download from Canon, and the newest cameras usually ship with a version of DPP than is later than that, a version not made available for download until a newer update is released.

Yea, that's one of the sillier things I think Canon is doing. A big PITA, without really stopping people from getting/installing it.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 02:32:25 PM »

RustyTheGeek

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 03:59:56 PM »
Um, I know this is a loaded question but how many folks have actually ever used the software anyway?  Or more to the point, use it regularly?  Since I had to go back to the box and retrieve the disc just to contribute to this thread, it's obvious how much I use it.  Should I install it?  What am I missing?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 04:42:09 PM by RustyTheGeek »

malchick743

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 04:27:04 PM »
Um, I know this is a loaded question but how many folks have actually ever used the software anyway?  Or more to the point, use it regularly?  Since I had go back to the box and retrieve the disc just to contribute to this thread, it obvious how much I use it.  Should I install it?  What am I missing?
I would say, at least install DPP so that there is at least some guaranteed form of raw file processing support.  Anyone who wants optimal post-processing results from raw files should also consider sticking to original software ie. DPP.

But other components like ZoomBrowser?  Never mind.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 04:36:49 PM by malchick743 »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 04:38:45 PM »
I use Canon Utilities, they let me tether my camera and have pretty much full control to view the image at highl magnification before I capture it.  I can set the focus point and depth of field to my preference.
DPP has the new lens correction software that corrects many aspects of distortion.  I only use it when I need something extra that Lightroom can't fix.  It also doubles or even triples the file size.

RustyTheGeek

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 04:45:34 PM »
I use Canon Utilities, they let me tether my camera and have pretty much full control to view the image at highl magnification before I capture it.  I can set the focus point and depth of field to my preference.
DPP has the new lens correction software that corrects many aspects of distortion.  I only use it when I need something extra that Lightroom can't fix.  It also doubles or even triples the file size.

re: File Size?  Please elaborate.  LR or DPP increases file size?  I personally just import my RAW files into LR DNG format and go from there.  I understand I am missing the tethering controls but I don't do studio work.

malchick743

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 05:50:38 PM »
Bundled tethering software (w/o extra charge) has always been an advantage for those sticking to Canon

For lens correction, IMO it's better to stick to DPP since original software seems to interpret such parameters more accurately and can yield slightly better results

LR is good, but afterall it's 3rd party workflow solution, so post-processing results/quality can be a real difference compared with original mfyer software

Not sure what you mean by "doubles or even triples the file size."  Did you do fancy export settings eg. 16-bit output?

RustyTheGeek

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 06:11:23 PM »
I guess I will have to compare the differences you mention someday between the DPP software and 3rd Party LR software working with the RAW files.  Adding a DPP step before LR would have to yield some mighty impressive improvements to make we want to go to the extra time/trouble.  Maybe I'll do some googling soon to see if there are some interesting write ups.  Great.  Another thing to read up on....  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 06:11:23 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 06:37:42 PM »

re: File Size?  Please elaborate.  LR or DPP increases file size?

DPP can apply lens corrections to the RAW files, based on lens profiles downloaded from Canon (which, presumably, are based directly on the optical designs of the lenses, and generated in a manner analogous to how they generate their published MTF curves).   Unlike all other RAW editors, which store the edits as sidecar/xml files, Canon's DPP makes changes to the metadata directly in the RAW file, so sidecar needed.  Applying the lens corrections to the RAW files bloats them considerably.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RustyTheGeek

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 07:02:12 PM »
Thanks neuro.  That's why I choose to import to LR in the DNG format with embedded RAW.  I still have the RAW file and I don't have to keep up with sidecar files.  I understand why Canon would/could use their own data to do the lens profiles.  But what does Adobe use?  I mean, ultimately how much different is it and does that make a significant difference?  (Subjective nature of question withstanding/understood.)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 07:02:12 PM »