December 20, 2014, 02:33:31 AM

Author Topic: Mirror fallen out of 5D - self repair ?  (Read 6901 times)

risc32

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: Mirror fallen out of 5D - self repair ?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 08:12:59 PM »
I sent my 5dc into canon back when they posted the mirror issue. At the time they told me it would take something like 2 weeks for the repair because the glue had to dry. i thought, well, i guess it's special glue. i had my camera back in my hands within a week. i was a bit confused about the speed, but all seemed well, so i wasn't about to complain about them being to fast.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 08:12:59 PM »

trojdor

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 02:27:37 PM »
Our Building Panoramics 5d MK1's mirror has finally fallen off its perch after seven years.

I know this is a design fault and Canon modify the mirror free of charge, but has anyone tried to glue the mirror back themselves ? It seems like a very light dot of super glue on the four little cushions / adhering points would fix it.

I'd appreciate experience from anyone who's fixed this themselves.

Thanks,

:o
You don't use super glue inside a camera! Cyanoacrylates (super glues) outgass a slight white plastic 'fog' which adheres to anything close by...like sensors. And then solidifies. That's why you'll sometimes see light white fingerprints inside the superglue package itself.

That discovery, by the way, led to putting super glue in a sealed box like an aquarium to 'pull' fingerprints from objects that traditionally couldn't be fingerprinted. The resulting residue is basically permanent and cannot be removed.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 03:15:25 PM »
Canon does not just glue a new mirror in, they modify the part that holds it so it won't fail again.  Gluing it yourself is a really bad idea.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 03:15:25 PM »