September 16, 2014, 01:57:22 PM

Author Topic: My brand new 5D Mark III - what am I doing wrong, please help!  (Read 11920 times)

smitty541

Re: My brand new 5D Mark III - what am I doing wrong, please help!
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 04:13:59 PM »
He was shooting in manual... there is no exposure comp... so the meter is doing what it think is right... 18% gray

So, does the mkIII have a real working AUTO ISO in manual now because if you set the mkII to auto ISO in manual you get ISO 400 and it won't change...

If the mkIII does have real AUTO ISO then exposure compensation would have to apply and I would guess that it's set underexposed...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 04:13:59 PM »

Eli

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • http://500px.com/elindaire
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 04:21:20 PM »
200-800 ISO with those settings in an indoor stadium seem a bit low? Especially since you've stated when you use 1000 ISO some parts of the court were properly exposed. Set your max autoISO higher, don't be afraid to go up to 6400 on your 5d mkiii, you'd be amazed how well it handles noise compared to your 550d.
And I think out of the box max AutoISO is set to 800.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 04:22:51 PM by Eli »

te4o

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 04:36:14 PM »
I received it 3 days ago and the very next day I went to a basketball game of a friend of mine to test it. I am coming from 550D which I know is much less complicated to set up but still the results from my new camera were discouraging.

Hey, Пламене,
Congratulations on the 5D3! Great jump! It is a matter of 1-2000 shots at least to get parts of the camera under control, like AF, buttons and customizations. After a while you realize that the camera is generally underexposing. Mine does that too. I stopped caring. I switched on Highlight Alert blinkies, look at the histogram and try to go AS FAR AS POSSIBLE to the right without clipping my Point of interest. ISO, shutter speed, aperture, whatever it takes for your subject. Pictures look like grossly overexposed on your LCD, you don't like them at all seen there. Software has improved so much that you can control highlights perfectly in post processing. The massive ETTR makes the difference to your 550: the FF goes clean even at ISO 10.000 after adequate noise reduction!!! Some of the shots have bright background around the centre (light reflection from the floor, white advertising boards etc): metering is thrown off by that.

Зала Универсиада не се е променила много. Играех там баскетбол като ученик/студент преди да емигрирам. Тъмно място.
Успех!
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

swampler

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 05:10:24 PM »
Turn off auto ISO and shoot full manual. With constant lighting like that of a basketball court doesn't need auto anything to shoot with best results.

rj79in

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, 04:13:15 AM »
All I can say is shoot, shoot, shoot and in time you will find the solution. It is unlikely to be a camera problem but understanding the way the 5D3 functions as compared to the current stock of APS-Cs is in itself a challenge.

I also had a similar problems when I was initially comparing my shots with the 5D3 vis-a-vis the 7D in uneven lighting and found my shots with the 5D3 to be completely crap - same issue dim and dark. It was not until some considerable time that I realised (rather stupidly :-[) that the FOV of the FF was way larger than the crop as a result of which the uneven lighting was resulting in a less than preferable results with evaluative metering. The camera was functioning perfectly in the sense that it was averaging the scene correctly but of course it was not exactly what I wanted.

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 05:18:52 AM »

So, does the mkIII have a real working AUTO ISO in manual now because if you set the mkII to auto ISO in manual you get ISO 400 and it won't change...

Yes...5d3 has working auto iso in manual...I believe the range is 100-25600.
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 05:33:14 AM »
I agree with a few others....

1. shooting quick change of direction sports at f2 is tough, try shooting at 2.8...that will help your focus...I tried the 135 at f2 and had too many oof shots for my liking, though I do understand the appeal of a shot captured perfectly at f2.

2. You are definitely shooting at too low iso...and don't ever use auto iso for indoor sports...indoors at 1/500 even at f2 should be a minimum of 1000 iso, and more likely 1600 or 3200 iso... The 5d3 in Jpeg mode with high iso noise reduction turned on should give you pretty clean shots up to 3200....but as others have said, next time play around with the iso settings to get the correct exposure..

3. Stick with center weighted average metering for basketball.

4. Stick with servo af case #1, it works very well.
5. Use center focus point with either 4 or 8 surround points...both work well.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 05:48:43 AM by Northstar »
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 05:33:14 AM »

rj79in

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2012, 06:53:56 AM »

Yes...5d3 has working auto iso in manual...I believe the range is 100-25600.

It extends to the L and the H1, H2

plam_1980

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2012, 10:44:04 AM »
Wow, guys, thank you for the valuable advices and the support

The 135L vignettes at F/2 on FF.

I knew about vignetting, but did not think it was that pronounced. But it is the general darkness and muddyness that worried me, not just the vignetting

Have you tried turning on peripheral illumination correction? Or added the 135L profile to the camera

Thank you very much for this link, that information is inaluable, I already have loaded the profile and the few test shots I did at home show good improvement.

My 550D shot were indeed at much higher ISO (1600-3200) but they were again in Auto ISO, I believed that the 5D Mark III will select the appropriate one too. I have not set maximum Auto ISO, I will check later if it was set to 800 out of the box
AS for the metering - I tried all :) But I believe the best results came out from Center-weighted average, as Northstar has suggested.

so the camera, if it's reading lots of floor, and will underexpose to get it down to 18% gray...  it almost makes perfect sense...  AV may be dicey depending on the min shutter speed set and high ISO set...  TV would be more predictable when shutter speed is needed... then you can set exposure comp...
thanks awinphoto, this really makes sense! I will try TV mode and also catchin less floor the next time. Now that I look at the photos, the ones with more floor are worse! and will also take into consideration the shutterspeed for the inconsistent lighting, as some have suggested

Hey, Пламене,
Congratulations on the 5D3! ...
Зала Универсиада не се е променила много. Играех там баскетбол като ученик/студент преди да емигрирам. Тъмно място.
Успех!

Здрасти, Течо :)

Наистина е доста тъмна залата. Трябва да видиш новата зала Арена Армеец, доста е добра за тукашните стандарти :) Ти къде си играл докато беше тук

Again, thank you so much everyone, I will experiment and will let you know what the results are:)

unadog

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2012, 12:05:38 PM »
within a week it was back, with the under-exposure corrected, albeit with about 6,000 exposures added to the count!

I doubt that they took that many images.

If you take a card from Camera A, that had 10,000 total images taken, and put it into Camera B that has only 10 images, the next file number on Camera B, the "10 image camera", will be 10,001.

If you want a lower image number, just reset the internal counter to "0".  On the menu, under Image Numbering, just select "Manual Reset", then leave it at "Continuous" like it was.   It will start over again with 00001. 

That will not affect tools like eoscount.com that can tell how many total images the camera has taken. Or if you put all of your images in Lightroom, you can just see how many total images you have there.

unadog

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 12:11:33 PM »
I dial in +2/3 stops on ALL Of my cameras, and leave it there 95% of the time.

That is true on my Canon T4i, 5DIII, 1DX, and on the Nikon D3200 and Sony NEX 5n that I have owned this year.

Same on them all to push the histogram to the right. I shoot RAW+JPEG anyway and adjust in post, but you want to make use of the right hand of the histogram , as there is more total "data" for you to work with in post.

Someone else mentioned that in passing as "Shoot to the Right."

There is also a Canon 44 page White Paper on the 1DX auto focus that also applies to the 5DIII that you should read.  It will help you understand all of the incredible tools you have for shooting sports with focus tracking, etc.

Have fun!  Great camera, lots of great tools, but it requires a bit of us on the back end.  8)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2012, 06:17:24 PM »
It's very likely that the lights in the arena are flickering and that you'll need a slower shutter speed to catch the whole cycle of flickering. Such is the case with a lot of indoor stadium lighting.

If you want to do it right, you'll need to install radio-triggered flashes in the overhead rafters. Assuming that's not an option, just use a lower shutter.

There's also no need for autoexposure indoors like this. The light isn't changing. If you can get there early enough to get a gray card meter reading and white balance from the court itself, lock in both manually. If not, spend the first few minutes fiddling with the exposure and manual white balance until the histogram (if shooting raw) or back-of-camera preview (if shooting JPEG) looks good. Be sure to shoot some bursts and compare shot-to-shot exposure and color...if there're visible changes, it's because the lighting sucks, and your only option is to keep slowing down the shutter.

And, yes...if you let the shutter get too slow, you'll get objectionable motion blur. That's why the proper answer is high-powered flashes. (And you can actually see such flashes regularly going off on TV broadcasts.)

Cheers,

b&

+1

This is a good description of the cause of your problem.  It happens frequently to users who try to use high shutter speeds and flickering lights.
The lights are flickering at 120 hertz, so use a shutter speed slower than 120 sec, or use a flash in the rafters.
You can also just take a lot of of shots and a few will be ok.

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 11:00:12 PM »
Mt. Spokane, it's 60Hz.  (That's the frequency.)  120 is the voltage.  So the shutter must stay below 1/60.  Impossible to do so the effect must be dealt with in post.

Here's a great write up on the issue...
http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=20873
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 11:00:12 PM »

TAF

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2012, 11:40:20 PM »
Mt. Spokane, it's 60Hz.  (That's the frequency.)  120 is the voltage.  So the shutter must stay below 1/60.  Impossible to do so the effect must be dealt with in post.

Here's a great write up on the issue...
http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=20873

While the power line frequency in the US is 60 Hz, the blink rate IS 120 Hz.

The definition of one cycle is when the voltage starts from zero, goes to a peak, then back through zero to a peak in the opposite direction and then back to zero.  Thus the light starts at off, goes to a maximum, goes off again, then goes to another maximum (then back to off, but that last off is the start of the next cycle).  Hence the light blinks twice per cycle.

Incandescent lamps don't blink badly because the filament doesn't have time to cool sufficiently between peaks, while fluorescents and discharge lamps do have time to cut off.

LED's (the future) may or may not blink depending on the power supply they have.  LED's run on DC (which shouldn't blink), but some of the power supplies are simply AC rectified (all the humps are on one side of zero), which on average looks like DC, but which to a fast acting LED is (again) 120 peaks per second.

At 1/60 shutter speed you should get you a full exposure.  1/125 could get you 1/2 of what you want, if the capture takes place around the zero crossing.

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2012, 01:33:32 AM »
LED's (the future) may or may not blink depending on the power supply they have.  LED's run on DC (which shouldn't blink), but some of the power supplies are simply AC rectified (all the humps are on one side of zero), which on average looks like DC, but which to a fast acting LED is (again) 120 peaks per second.

You also have to watch out for LED Christmas lights, they usually only have a half wave rectifier, so you only have 60 peaks per second, and half of each cycle is at zero.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2012, 01:33:32 AM »