October 25, 2014, 01:49:33 AM

Author Topic: Canon 7D: 'I need a Must Have's List'  (Read 13740 times)

moocowe

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 7D: 'I need a Must Have's List'
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2012, 02:34:08 AM »
Or try a Hahnel Giga T pro II for some serious remote controlling!

I have a Giga T Pro too, and although it's more versatile, the battery doesn't last long because the button constantly gets pressed if I leave it in my bag. Does the version II have an off switch on the remote by any chance?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2012, 02:34:08 AM »

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2012, 06:07:54 AM »
Or try a Hahnel Giga T pro II for some serious remote controlling!

I have a Giga T Pro too, and although it's more versatile, the battery doesn't last long because the button constantly gets pressed if I leave it in my bag. Does the version II have an off switch on the remote by any chance?

Yes the Giga T Pro II has a transmitter on/off switch
5D II(sold) | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

RickSpringfield

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2012, 08:23:53 AM »
T Minus 5 Days and Counting.  I've made a list of things and sent it to all those interested.  I'll be very anxious to see how things flush out.

Here is the highlight reel:
 - The Battery Grip; I was at a local store and checking these out ... what a great feeling in the hand.  For me this was a big ergo plus.  Thank you 'Pieces Of E' for the early suggestion on this one.

- The Canon 24-105 F/4L:  I asked for this one because of the comments from 'Rienzphotoz'.  All in all, the comments made closely approximated the present/future path I want to be on as well.

- A Flash:  For some reason, until I put up this thread ... I didnt even think about a flash.  It was completely out of mind.  But then after following the advice of posters 'Trovador', 'Pieces Of E', 'Kristofgss', and 'unfocused' I started poking around at other website on the use of flashes and frankly I was amazed at what a person can do with one good flash.  So, both the 430EX and the 600 went on the list (I figured, might as well ask  :D )

I think I am still up in the air on a bag.  One thing is certain ... a 'great' bag must be an incredibly personal choice.  My problem is there are only a handful of retail shops around and most carry a couple exclusive lines (Like Kata/NatGeo) but nobody has it all.  So I feel like I would be renting from Amazon for months before I could find one.  Maybe its finally time for that road trip to B&H!

Honestly ... I just wanted to say Thank You to all that responded.  I know sometimes when folks post a thread in a forum the people who comment are left out of the loop as to the 'what happened next' but that won't be the case here.  You made a time commitment to help me and your feedback was genuinely appreciated.  I will keep you informed as to how this story plays out in the days to come. 

Thank You!  Thank You!  Thank You!

paul13walnut5

« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2012, 04:55:21 AM »
Hope the bearded man makes you happy. 

Good luck to use your new gear, whatever it is!

RickSpringfield

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2012, 06:47:58 PM »
 :D

Many Thanks to everyone who commented in this thread.  Here is a breakdown of the Christmas goodies I received:

- Canon 24-105 F/4
 - Canon 50 F/1.4
 - Gitzo GM3551 6X Carbon Fiber Monopod
 - Lowepro Vertex 100 AW
 - A couple of Scott Kelby books

I've had a chance to use the 50 F1.4 and I can say certain that the Bokeh is outstanding for those looking for a bokeh beast.  The other thing I will say with 100% assurance is that the 24-105 feels like it was built to military specs compared to my other zoom that came with the camera.

Now to plan some cool street walks or a photo adventure!

crasher8

« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2012, 09:03:46 PM »
best lens I ever used with my 7D? EF 10-22.

JBeckwith

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2012, 10:35:49 PM »
:D

Many Thanks to everyone who commented in this thread.  Here is a breakdown of the Christmas goodies I received:

- Canon 24-105 F/4
 - Canon 50 F/1.4
 - Gitzo GM3551 6X Carbon Fiber Monopod
 - Lowepro Vertex 100 AW
 - A couple of Scott Kelby books

I've had a chance to use the 50 F1.4 and I can say certain that the Bokeh is outstanding for those looking for a bokeh beast.  The other thing I will say with 100% assurance is that the 24-105 feels like it was built to military specs compared to my other zoom that came with the camera.

Now to plan some cool street walks or a photo adventure!

Wow... Santa must have had some deep pockets this Christmas.
5D Mark II | 70-200 f/4L IS USM | 50mm f/1.8 II | Yongnuo 560 II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2012, 10:35:49 PM »

captainkanji

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2012, 11:10:39 PM »
I agree with everyone's recommendation of the EFS 17-55.  I had it for my 7D and loved it.  It fit perfectly in my hands.  I had to sell them both to go full frame  :(. With proper customization of the buttons, you can do everything while looking through the viewfinder.  It's very good for tracking.  The only thing I didn't like was the high ISO performance, but that's to be expected with APS-C.  The 50 1.4 works great with it also, but it can be difficult with the crop in close quarters.  If the 7D2 is any improvement, I may have to save for a second body.

I just ordered the 24-105 myself.    ;D. Looking forward to the new year of shooting.  Maybe I'll graduate from noob to amateur.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 11:13:30 PM by captainkanji »
Canon 6D, Meike battery grip, Black Rapid Strap
EF 40mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM, 430EX II Speedlite
HDR photos look best when I can't see them.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2012, 11:10:39 PM »