October 30, 2014, 07:40:05 PM

Author Topic: To buy M or not to buy M?  (Read 18308 times)

tallrob

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: To buy M or not to buy M?
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2013, 04:42:42 AM »
I don't think the M is the best mirrorless by any stretch.  Certainly you can do better with a Fuji or Sony.  But for the price, since the recent drop, it's unbeatable.  With the kit lenses the AF is fine - don't believe the fud.  With EF lemses via the adapter, it really depends on the lens.  Some are much faster than others.  Pre focusing helps. 

Now, the question is why would you want to put this little M on a big lens - what's the point? 

1. Touch screen.  Very cool.  I can definitely see this tech coming to all cameras.  Canon has their UI down, and puts all others to shame.  Anyone who poopoos the touch screen hasn't spent enough time with it. 

2. Shutter sound.  Virtually nonexistent.  This is why I bought the M, so I could use my EF-Llenses and shoot with no mirror slap.  No more dirty looks while shooting performances.

3. Weight.  Well, this is more theoretical than anything.  The M is really light, but horribly off balance with a big lens attached.  The EF-EFM adapter is very nice, but they should have incorporated a grip into it.  I'm waiting for someone with a 3d printer to put one up on kickstarter. 

So, should you buy?  Always a touch question.  If you can get it for $400, definitely.   Otherwise I'd hold off until the next gen.
So I bought an EOS M and a 6D - I love the black sheep!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2013, 04:42:42 AM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2013, 03:29:15 PM »
Well, I've taken the plunge and ordered my M, with EF-M adaptor and 22mm lens.

Thanks for all the advice up until now.

I tried one out with the focus set to single point select and it worked pretty well, in both one shot and servo continuous.  I don't get the beefs.  It is figuratively miles ahead of my 600d in live view mode, and it's not meant to replace my 7D in conventional mode.

Excited.

Oh and it's in black!

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2013, 07:33:29 PM »
Well, I've taken the plunge and ordered my M, with EF-M adaptor and 22mm lens.

Thanks for all the advice up until now.

I tried one out with the focus set to single point select and it worked pretty well, in both one shot and servo continuous.  I don't get the beefs.  It is figuratively miles ahead of my 600d in live view mode, and it's not meant to replace my 7D in conventional mode.

Excited.

Oh and it's in black!

try the touch to shoot, its pretty fast not that far off the pace of a rebel
but what i have noticed is I feel its accuracy is significantly better than the AF from a rebel
it rarely misses focus

enjoy!

also the 22mm is such a great little lens i pretty much use this and the samyang 8mm on this camera
havent used the 18-55 much at all even though it's not too bad stopped down
APS-H Fanboy

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2013, 08:22:06 PM »
I don't think the M is the best mirrorless by any stretch.  Certainly you can do better with a Fuji or Sony.  But for the price, since the recent drop, it's unbeatable. 

It's the best Canon mirrorless,  for sure.

Outside of Canon, you can get mature Nth generation mirrorless cameras with touchscreens and all that, not to mention more complete lens systems for well under $400-.

The only compelling advantage of the EOS-M is that you get AF with EF lenses. It is "off balance" with these lenses, but you're presumably carrying the bulk of the weight by cradling the lens with your left hand instead of trying to grip the body, so it's quite usable.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2013, 04:05:31 AM »
Update from digital rev, its going to be white :(

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2013, 05:00:00 AM »
Update from digital rev, its going to be white :(
Then you can add some Hello Kitty stickers on it to look even prettier, my little girls does that to all my stuff. Even on my office laptop...

I have currently a white M at home now trying it out. I have a portrait session booked for Sunday afternoon where I will shoot with my regular camera but want to try this out for comparison. I have played with it a bit today and it feels fine, I have the 22mm lens on. I am working my way through the settings and menus so I don't stumble on Sunday.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2013, 05:20:56 AM »
Good luck for sun.

Doubt i'll have mine by then, going by what I found instore selecting the smaller flexizone option without face detect and in one shot mode it was actually fairly fast and accurate.  I generally only use one af point on my slrs for the same reason.

Interested in seeing results.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2013, 05:20:56 AM »

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2013, 05:31:36 AM »
Good luck for sun.

Doubt i'll have mine by then, going by what I found instore selecting the smaller flexizone option without face detect and in one shot mode it was actually fairly fast and accurate.  I generally only use one af point on my slrs for the same reason.

Interested in seeing results.
Yes, the little I've tried it today it didn't seem that slow. I still have to put my finger on the LCD and all, but alot faster than I've read. It's only a loaner from one of the girls that I will shoot on Sunday.

I'll be happy to post some comparisons with the 5D3 though. The weather is kind of streaky here in Phnom Penh at the moment, the rainy season is coming, but hasn't hit us all out yet. It won't matter that much anyway, because I want a little bit darker style to these photos to fit in a theme. That's what I normally like also.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2013, 05:31:36 AM »