Gear Talk > Third Party Manufacturers

A Wedding Photographer's Look at the Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD

<< < (2/3) > >>

TWI by Dustin Abbott:

--- Quote from: elinfaxo on January 18, 2013, 06:05:54 AM ---I had gone through the posts.  Wedding photos remains as a  best memorable moment in our life's. What are the lens are used in the camera's?  There are a lot of different types of lenses appropriate for many different situations and needs.

photographer

--- End quote ---

Well, obviously the Tamron served as the primary lens for this wedding shot.  I supplemented it with the Canon 100L Macro and the 135L.

Rienzphotoz:
Nice post ... read your review as well ... very nice.
Someone stole my new 24-70 f/2.8 L II lens yesterday ... now I don't have enough money to buy it again ... so your review of Tamron 24-70 came at a right time ... I just ordered the lens after reading your review ... ordered it from Amazon (Japan) got it for US$ 1069 ... I think that is the best deal I've seen so far for this lens ... I should get it in hand by 24th January.

TWI by Dustin Abbott:

--- Quote from: Marsu42 on January 18, 2013, 07:52:10 AM ---
--- Quote from: TWI by Dustin Abbott on December 17, 2012, 08:56:14 AM ---It is when you have to stop down that a lens with a great VC system like makes a lot of sense.
--- End quote ---

Interesting review, thanks. One question though since i see you've also got the 24-105L with IS (next to a zoo of other lenses in this focal range): Do you think the f2.8 aperture makes a decisive difference for your work, and when do you still use the 24-105L at all if you are so convinced by the Tamron?

--- End quote ---

The limitations of speed on the 24-105 is one of the main reasons that I got the Tamron.  I didn't often use it for event works, choosing to use mostly primes for the speed.  I found that I was sometimes limited in framing on wider shots or stuck without time to change lenses.  The Tamron has fit that bill well.  I dropped my 50 f/1.4 and 35 f/2 in exchange for the Tamron.  It serves well enough for narrow depth of field shots that I don't miss the speed of the primes at that focal length (particularly when you can zoom into 70mm for that extra bit of compression).  The VC enables me to keep ISO and shutter speed lower when shooting static shots (it is pretty amazing for this, particularly compared to the primes).  The faster speed of primes is not helpful in this situation because you frequently have to stop down to enlarge  the depth of field.

At the moment, I do still have the 24-105L, but primarily use it when travelling for the extra bit of reach.  I will probably sell it to help purchase a lens or body that I feel will serve me more in the future.  I don't often use it in an event setting (although you could, particularly if capturing static subjects or cranking ISO).  My primary reason for not moving it sooner is that I have been extensively testing the Tamron before making the decision and my filter selection in 82mm threads is limited.  Even my Cokin P system vignettes pretty badly until close to 30+mm zoom.  I still would like to get a decent ND filter (I have only UV and CPL at the moment).

TWI by Dustin Abbott:

--- Quote from: Rienzphotoz on January 18, 2013, 08:04:18 AM ---Nice post ... read your review as well ... very nice.
Someone stole my new 24-70 f/2.8 L II lens yesterday ... now I don't have enough money to buy it again ... so your review of Tamron 24-70 came at a right time ... I just ordered the lens after reading your review ... ordered it from Amazon (Japan) got it for US$ 1069 ... I think that is the best deal I've seen so far for this lens ... I should get it in hand by 24th January.

--- End quote ---

Two things:  first, that is the best price that I have seen on the lens.  It has not received hardly any discounting yet (which is probably a positive sign for resale value down the road).  Good for you!

Secondly, I would be very interested in your feedback after having own the 24-70II .  I have not used or tested that lens, and, while I know it is optically superior, I would certainly be interested in hearing your thoughts as to the handling and overall image quality as compared.

Finally, I am really sad to hear  about the theft of your lens.  That stinks!  I hope the Tamron serves as a reasonable substitute and that I haven't steered you wrong :)

Marsu42:

--- Quote from: Rienzphotoz on January 18, 2013, 08:04:18 AM ---Someone stole my new 24-70 f/2.8 L II lens yesterday ... now I don't have enough money to buy it again

--- End quote ---

Doh, my condolences - and this is a problem I also think about, it's either paying a hefty insurance (Germany) or walking around with €5000+ camera gear which is as nearly good as a gold bar from a thief's perspective. That's why I'll keep my humble 60d+17-40L for many uses whatever expensive gear I might buy later on.

--- Quote from: TWI by Dustin Abbott on December 17, 2012, 08:56:14 AM ---I don't often use it in an event setting (although you could, particularly if capturing static subjects or cranking ISO).  My primary reason for not moving it sooner is that I have been extensively testing the Tamron before making the decision and my filter selection in 82mm threads is limited. 

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the real life comparison 24-70/2.8 to 24-105/4, looking at the better iso of the 6d I'm currently wondering if to get the Canon kit or the Tamron - I'm still not entirely convinced the new Canon 24-70ii without IS for €1900 is really worth it to me for shooting events, thus leaving the said cheaper options.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version