November 26, 2014, 01:41:02 AM

Author Topic: Canon 450D user looking to upgrade to 6D, but the D600's price is real tempting  (Read 3489 times)

JonB8305

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
a few weeks ago I tested a D600 against a 7D at a costco, and the pics came out really bad (skin tones were inaccurate, and it looked overexposed), but today tried it again and it was much better. At under $2k for a bundle thats a fantastic deal. Will Canon adjust prices before Christmas?

http://www.costco.com/Nikon-D600-Full-Frame-DSLR-Camera-2-Lens-Bundle.product.100012382.html
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 10:41:21 PM by JonB8305 »

canon rumors FORUM

JonB8305

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
i suspect your white balance not the camera

So you think I should just roll with the Nikon?

Area256

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Likely it was just the settings on the camera; someone likely changed something in the menu before you looked at it.  The d600 should be just as capable as any high end camera at rendering color well.   There are differences between Canon and Nikon color reproduction, but I'd have no objections to working with either, they are both good - just a little different.  It's also possible that the Nikon screen was a little "green", it was a problem in the D4, but I don't know if it's a problem in the D600.  Either way, the images aren't effected by the screen color - it was just annoying to some D4 users.

Will Canon drop it's prices before Christmas, well no one can be sure. My bet is no since we are still in the initial sock phase where the camera is in short supply in some parts of the world - they likely won't drop prices until they have extra stock.  However I could be wrong, the Nikon deal is going to put pressure on them.
6D, 24-105mm f/4L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 40mm f/2.8, lots of strobist stuff.
Flickr  500px

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
450D to any APS-C isn't a great jump in IQ.  Unless you need the extra reach that an APS-C offers, if you're serious with your photography, it's better to upgrade to a FF camera.  Even a 5D2 will be a great upgrade from 450D.   Colors, DR, bokeh and IQ are generally a lot better in an FF body.

JonB8305

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
450D to any APS-C isn't a great jump in IQ.  Unless you need the extra reach that an APS-C offers, if you're serious with your photography, it's better to upgrade to a FF camera.  Even a 5D2 will be a great upgrade from 450D.   Colors, DR, bokeh and IQ are generally a lot better in an FF body.

Yeah that's why I want to upgrade to the FF 6D or the FF Nikon 600D.

I think the settings were completely off with the display models.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
You can get D600's real cheap. 
Buyers are not buying, perhaps due to the problem with oil or whatever splattering on the sensor every time you take a image.  Some say it eventually stops after a few thousand images, and a dozen sensor cleanings.  Resale value will be dismal.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 10:29:37 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

canon rumors FORUM

PeterJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile

Must admit I was a bit confused by the title and maybe a few others were too, I thought you were comparing a Canon 6D to a Canon 600D rather than the Nikon D600.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile

Must admit I was a bit confused by the title and maybe a few others were too, I thought you were comparing a Canon 6D to a Canon 600D rather than the Nikon D600.
Yup, its very confused, the link to the D600 is the only clue.

dpollitt

• Power Shot G7X
  • Amateur Landscape & Portrait Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Pro Perspective Photography
If you think that testing cameras inside of Costco with kit lenses on is going to show any actual difference - I would stick with your 450D. Sorry, sad truth  :'(
Canon 6D, Canon 40D, 17-40mm L, 24-105mm L, 40mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 135mm L, 1.4x TC, Canon Canonet QL 17

JonB8305

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
If you think that testing cameras inside of Costco with kit lenses on is going to show any actual difference - I would stick with your 450D. Sorry, sad truth  :'(

Gotta start somewhere.

Area256

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile

Gotta start somewhere.

I agree we all start somewhere, there is no need to be harsh.  When I got my Nikon Coolpix 950 I basically knew nothing beyond my P&S film camera (which was nothing), and that was an expensive high end camera in the day - I enjoyed it and have learned a lot since.

I would however recommend reading a few review sites to learn more about the 6D and D600 before making the plunge into either expensive camera.

Buyers are not buying, perhaps due to the problem with oil or whatever splattering on the sensor every time you take a image.  Some say it eventually stops after a few thousand images, and a dozen sensor cleanings.  Resale value will be dismal.

Yes there is a sensor dust/oil problem.  I'm not sure it's the end of the world, or that it's the cause of the recent low prices - there is no evidence it's not selling well - or that it'll have bad resale values.  It's just speculation at this point, although it may be valid.  And it is a problem to consider, especially since Nikon won't admit to it; Canon seems a lot more willing to fix issues in it's new releases quickly and for free.  And I would factor in the cost of a few sensor cleanings on the D600 (don't try it yourself, that will lower the resale value of the camera, and could cause problems).  Have a look at Nikon Rumors for more information on the issue, and see lensrentals.com and their take on it.
6D, 24-105mm f/4L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 40mm f/2.8, lots of strobist stuff.
Flickr  500px

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account

Gotta start somewhere.

I agree we all start somewhere, there is no need to be harsh.  When I got my Nikon Coolpix 950 I basically knew nothing beyond my P&S film camera (which was nothing), and that was an expensive high end camera in the day - I enjoyed it and have learned a lot since.

I would however recommend reading a few review sites to learn more about the 6D and D600 before making the plunge into either expensive camera.

Yes there is a sensor dust/oil problem.  I'm not sure it's the end of the world, or that it's the cause of the recent low prices - there is no evidence it's not selling well - or that it'll have bad resale values.  It's just speculation at this point, although it may be valid.  And it is a problem to consider, especially since Nikon won't admit to it; Canon seems a lot more willing to fix issues in it's new releases quickly and for free.  And I would factor in the cost of a few sensor cleanings on the D600 (don't try it yourself, that will lower the resale value of the camera, and could cause problems).  Have a look at Nikon Rumors for more information on the issue, and see lensrentals.com and their take on it.

I hope Nikon covers the cost of cleaning for the sensor dust/oil problem.  Canon does cleaning and back-focus adjustment of all my lenses for free (I have no AFMA, 500D) with or without warranty here in Malaysia as long as you can go to their office and bring personally your equipment though it's a little bit far from the city (around 30mins ride without traffic jam).

canon rumors FORUM

JonB8305

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Got a 6D with the 10% off Amazon coupon, figured $2400 is a good deal for the kit.

canon rumors FORUM