November 27, 2014, 02:14:52 AM

Author Topic: Help! I need to immediately find a Lightroom solution that supports a 1DX AND Wi  (Read 1512 times)

jhpeterson

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
My 1DX just arrived yesterday. I took a few photos with it (look on the screen to be absolutely amazing!) and finally downloaded them last night. Unfortunately, I can open't them because I have Lightroom 2.7.
I thought I'd try Lightroom 4, only to discover it only works with Windows 7 and Vista machines. What to do now, I I'm flying out of the country in little more than 12 hours?
1D iii (x2), 1DS iii (x3), 6D, 16-35L ii, 24-105L, 70-200L IS ii, 24/3.5 TS-E, 40/2.8 STM, 50/2.5, 100/2.8L IS, 135/2L, 300/2.8L, 500/4L IS, 430EX II, EF 1.4x ii, EF 2x iii

canon rumors FORUM

WSMyles

What to do now, I I'm flying out of the country in little more than 12 hours?

Easy: download the "trial" version of Lightroom and install it, giving you 30 days or so to find a copy (and a PC to use it on.)

And-Rew

I agree with the temp solution - download LR4 trial and run with that - but on return you need to look at something a little bit more suitable. You can buy a Win7 or Win 8 laptop for about £300. If you've got a desktop - you can buy base units only for about £300 as well and keep your current monitor keyboard and mouse.

Given the £5k you've just spent on your 1DX - it seems only right to afford yourself something to see the pictures on.

bc33

Lightroom 4 also works on windows 8 and on OS X 10.8.6 and above.

Canon-F1

use DPP.... update to win7 when your back.

or use the adobe DNG converter.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5519
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 08:57:07 AM by Canon-F1 »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Seems your time is nearly up.  :(

You could just install DPP that came with your camera...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

leolol

use the dng converter and then edit in lr 2.7

canon rumors FORUM

DigiDaan

You can always convert the RAW files in the camera.

Canon-F1

lol.. yeah or you can just shoot JPG....   :D

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
use the dng converter and then edit in lr 2.7

Excellent suggestion!  RAW -> DPP -> DNG -> old LR.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

DigiDaan

lol.. yeah or you can just shoot JPG....   :D

Yes, of course, but I thought it was all about a quick solution for already shot images?

jhpeterson

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Thanks, guys, for all your help!
Actually, I downloaded the trial version late yesterday, only to discover when I installed it that it won't work with Windows XP. Actually my laptop is Windows 7 (it's my backup and   why I'm using this is another story!), but it has issues with connecting to the internet at home (fortunately the Wi-Fi is fine), so I needed first to get Windows 4 onto my desktop, then copy.
No time to buy another laptop, besides, between the holidays, several repairs and this trip, I'm too way over-extended anyway.
Since I need to make this work while I'm traveling, I've got DPP installed. It's what we in college called a "not very elegant solution",  another way of saying it's better than nothing.
I've decided that it's best I shoot in RAW + JPEG. That way I get a chance to work immediately on what I've shot each day and still have highest quality files that I'll be able to use one I get back and sort things out.
1D iii (x2), 1DS iii (x3), 6D, 16-35L ii, 24-105L, 70-200L IS ii, 24/3.5 TS-E, 40/2.8 STM, 50/2.5, 100/2.8L IS, 135/2L, 300/2.8L, 500/4L IS, 430EX II, EF 1.4x ii, EF 2x iii

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
DPP will convert the files and export them to Lightroom 2.7 in a batch.
Just download them all to a folder, and in DPP use the batch converter.  (Configure lightroom as your external editor.)
The files will be transferred in tif format, which works well in lightroom.

canon rumors FORUM