November 24, 2014, 10:04:58 AM

Author Topic: Photos Accidentally Put in Recycling Bin But Don't Show Up There  (Read 4887 times)

StrayCat17

Photos Accidentally Put in Recycling Bin But Don't Show Up There
« on: December 16, 2012, 01:16:19 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I've seen variations on this issue, but not my problem exactly, and I was hoping there'd be a simple solution to my problem.  Essentially, I did a photo shoot yesterday and was attempting to copy the .CR2 files onto my computer.  In the process of pasting them over though, I accidentally put them into the Recycling Bin.  It immediately prompted me to say, "If you move these files into the Recycling Bin, they will be permanently deleted.  Are you sure you wish to continue?"  I obviously hit the "No" button, but the photos were deleted  from the CF card anyway!  And they're not in the recycling bin either, so I can't just restore them.

I've tried this a couple more times with unimportant photos just to ensure I'm not going crazy, and indeed, every time it deletes the photos, despite the fact that I hit the "No" button. 

Does anyone have any good suggestions?  I'm currently doing a scan with CardRecovery Pro, but I can't tell if it's scanning the CF card in my camera, or just my C: Drive, and regardless, I'm not sure where the photos would show up at this point anyway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...a lot of work went into the photos and I'd hate to lose them.  Thanks in advance.

canon rumors FORUM

Photos Accidentally Put in Recycling Bin But Don't Show Up There
« on: December 16, 2012, 01:16:19 PM »

jp121

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
Re: Photos Accidentally Put in Recycling Bin But Don't Show Up There
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 03:25:36 PM »
You may need to provide a little more information for anybody to help; like operating system, how were you transferring the files, how is the CF card connected to your computer.

If you haven't used the CF card again, then the images should still be there. Normal deleting usually just deletes the directions to the file but not the actual file. I can only suggest Google the problem and go from there.

Instead of 'NO', have you tried cancelling the operation but hitting the little X button in the top right hand corner?

One reason the deleted files are not in your recycling bin may be that your 'bin' size is too small to fit all the files. This can be adjusted.

Best manual way, that I used, to move files from CF to PC is with explorer & copy/paste. Confirm result, then delete. For automatic, I use the Canon utility for the transfer and then manually delete later after result confirmation.

Sorry I can't be of much help.
5DM3 | 50 f/1.2L | 100 f/2.8L MACRO IS | 16-35 f/2.8L II | 24-105 f/4 IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS

StrayCat17

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 05:36:28 PM »
Hello JP,

I am using Windows 7.  I attached my Canon 5d Mark ii via a USB cable to my computer, which prompted me with the list of import options.  I chose "view files" and then copied the ones I wanted to move to my computer.  I then clicked on what I thought was my Photos folder, but was actually the Recycle Bin Folder, which I had inadvertently left open.  It was then that I hit "Paste" and was prompted with the question about whether or not I wanted to continue.  I said no, I did not want to continue, but when I looked at the pictures still on my CF card, all the ones I had copied were gone.

Essentially, it seems that they were not pasted to my computer, but were deleted from my CF card even though I told it not to do that.  I am hoping that they are still on my CF Card, and was wondering if anyone had a good way/program to retrieve photos off the CF card that have been deleted.  I have not taken any new photos on this card, so I am hoping they are still there.

I would also add that I need a program which will analyze the CF card while it is in my 5d mark ii, as I do not have a card reader or a way to insert the CF card into my laptop.

I don't think size was an issue, as I only had about 20 photos to copy over.

Thanks everyone.

jp121

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 11:54:05 PM »
I have never downloaded my photos through the camera/usb route. So I can't help you there.

i suggest that you buy an external usb cf card reader. They cost less then $20.

and read this page

https://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-data-recovery-file-undelete-utility.htm
5DM3 | 50 f/1.2L | 100 f/2.8L MACRO IS | 16-35 f/2.8L II | 24-105 f/4 IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS

PeterJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 01:45:46 AM »
You'll probably need a card reader, Canon cameras from what I know use the PTP (picture transfer protocol) device class instead of the MSC (mass storage class) that a reader will be. The former doesn't give physical access to the media as far as I know, and a recovery tool will need that.

LSV

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 02:28:04 AM »
You should go to your CF card manufacturer's website to download their file recovery software.  I know my Sony and Transcend cards have this option and I imagine others would have this application, too.

zim

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 04:33:31 AM »
You should go to your CF card manufacturer's website to download their file recovery software.  I know my Sony and Transcend cards have this option and I imagine others would have this application, too.

+1 on that or http://www.cardrecovery.com and get a card reader, sounds like you've not used or done anything with the card since the error so all should be good.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 04:33:31 AM »

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 04:43:42 AM »
can't help with specific problem but shows the need for back ups...  i have LR set up to save to 2 locations on import

dallasdave

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 05:57:33 AM »
Connect the device, and manually see if there are any files there, like with windows explorer.

If still aren't seeing them, there are many undelete programs out there, some a free, just search google.

You could also open a windows prompt and navigate to that drive/folder.
Like typing in d:
and then type in undelete *.*

Can't guarantee anything.

markwilliams279

• Power Shot G7X
  • Photography
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 12:27:12 AM »
Try this to recover your lost photos... http://www.stellarphotorecoverysoftware.com/
Mark Williams

Niterider

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 12:59:57 AM »
If you have access to a linux/unix (ubuntu, mint, fedora, etc.) computer and a card reader, you could run terminal commands to show all files in that folder regardless of permissions and hidden attributes.

I know someone is going to be quite to say that this can be equally accomplished through the windows command prompt, but I honestly am not as proficient in that command line interface as I am in the linux terminal. If anyone has sufficient knowledge in either interface that wants to chime in, please do so  :)

nolken

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 01:21:24 AM »
I
 know someone is going to be quite to say that this can be equally accomplished through the windows command prompt, but I honestly am not as proficient in that command line interface as I am in the linux terminal...

And for good reason i'm sure! windows command is not a good experience.

KKCFamilyman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 11:20:42 PM »
Try this http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Show-or-hide-the-Recycle-Bin

Also get an external cf reader. They are like $10. Much better process.

For media recovery try remo ($49) works well. You will need that card to show up in a cf reader though.
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 11:20:42 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 11:47:52 PM »
I use Image Rescue 4.  It will recover image files including cr2 files, videos, etc.  As long as you have not used the card to take more photos, they should all still be found and easily recovered.
You need a card reader, the software will find it and the images.
A bonus is the erase feature which will erase a card completely and fix any bad memory cells by mapping them out.  Obviously, when you use that feature, any images on the card are basically gone forever.

tolusina

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 10:31:57 AM »
I've never had any files deleted from an external USB drive end up in the recycle bin. I always COPY from the USB drive to C:\, E:\, whatever, sort out the junk which does go into the recycle bin, then clean up the external drive once back up of the keepers has been completed and tested.

Files you've deleted from that external drive are likely still there as noted above and several recovery options suggested, get to it.

40 on 6

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 10:31:57 AM »