August 31, 2014, 12:51:20 AM

Author Topic: Patent: A New Canon EF 50 f/1.2 & Suggestion of a Full Frame Mirrorless?  (Read 8265 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
New Canon 50 f/1.2
A new patent has surfaced that shows a new design for an EF 50 f/1.2 lens. The current 50L has somewhat of a mixed reputation due to some focus shift.

Also shown is potentially a 50 f/2 for a full frame mirrorless camera as it mentions a 22mm back focus distance. Keith at [NL] is reading the patent that way, and that interpretation looks plausible. If anyone is better at reading and interpreting the patent than we are, please let us know.

• Example 1
    • Focal length f = 51.70mm
    • Fno. 1.25
    • Half angle of view ω = 22.71 °
    • Image height 21.64mm
    • 105.65mm length lens
    • BF 40.00mm
    • Nine 6 groups lens configuration
    • One one aspherical surface
    • Maximum effective diameter 45.16mm
  • Example 4
    • Focal length f = 50.00mm
    • Fno. 2.06
    • Half angle of 23.40mm
    • Image height 21.64mm
    • Length 72.62mm lens
    • BF 28.86mm
    • Eight four group lens configuration
    • No aspherical
    • Maximum effective diameter 33.34mm

Source: [EG] via [NL]

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
Re: Patent: A New Canon EF 50 f/1.2 & Suggestion of a Full Frame Mirrorless?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 05:43:28 PM »
ohh!!! ohh!!! ohh!!! Full frame mirrorless!!!!! with a new focus technology, 4K video, wireless, gps, an articulated touchscreen, and a nikon lens adaptor so we can all get excited... but no pop-up flash.... you just have to draw the line somewhere!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 06:21:03 PM by Don Haines »
The best camera is the one in your hands

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 06:22:34 PM »
Full frame mirrorless? Wow, wow, wow!!! That will simply DESTROY all competition

Dylan777

• View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 06:31:19 PM »
FULL FRAME MIRRORLESS.......I say 2014 :P
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 06:54:08 PM »
Okay..  Can someone inform me why full frame-mirrorless would be a good thing?  Since I only really care about DSLRs, I don't bother keeping up with the benefits of mirrorless cameras...
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

Zlatko

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 07:09:44 PM »
Okay..  Can someone inform me why full frame-mirrorless would be a good thing?  Since I only really care about DSLRs, I don't bother keeping up with the benefits of mirrorless cameras...
The delightful thing about mirrorless cameras is that they are usually smaller and lighter — those are the key benefits.  There is no need for a mirror box, so the lens can be closer to the sensor.  And this means that all of the lenses can be smaller.  Just look at the full frame mirrorless cameras, the Leica M, M9, M9P, MM and Sony RX1, and see how wonderfully small they are for full frame cameras.  If Canon can deliver a full frame mirrorless in a Leica M-sized body, with autofocus interchangeable lenses and a high quality viewfinder, it will be of great interest to many photographers who desire a high quality camera in a small package.  Of course, it could a be mirrorless in a DSLR-sized body, like the Sony A99, and then most of the size & weight advantage lost.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 07:11:19 PM by Zlatko »

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 07:40:32 PM »
I hear focusing speed on Canon's "mirrorless" cameras are groundbreaking.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 07:40:32 PM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 07:49:08 PM »
Also the good thing with mirror-less cameras is that there's no mirror so there's nothing slapping back and forth when taking pictures and this means more stability.  This is aside from the fact that you can use smaller lens.  It's easier to handheld a mirrorless camera even at low shutter speed as against a DSLR set at the same focal length and shutter speed.  Also with the smaller lens, a larger aperture than what's existing now is even possible and possibly cheaper to implement.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 07:51:41 PM »

"Groundbreaking" on a geological timescale? As in the time it's taking in Africa's Rift Valley for the Ground to Break and split the continent in two?
I hear the EOS M focusses about that fast...

But I'll be happy for any FF Mirrorless that is $2000-3000 with interchangeable lenses, and doesn't have that $4000 worth of Leica-Badge on the front...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 07:52:56 PM »

I've used the EOS M camera and found the focusing through button very slow.  However, focusing through the touch screen is the ground-breaking one.  It is decently fast enough.  You should try it sometime.  It's just like the 650D in regards to this.

Stone

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 09:07:24 PM »
I'd love for Canon to do this, but the first company to pull it off with decent (no need for pro-level) autofocus will get my money.  My eventual goal is a relatively compact FF mirrorless for general all-round shooting combined with a 7D or 7DII for sports and action.  I think it would be the perfect combo.  :D

5D III gripped | 7D gripped | 35L | 24-70 2.8L II USM | 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | 85 1.8 |

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 10:06:08 PM »
Thought more about it. Instead of FF mirrorless, it may well be a fixed lens camera, like the RX1. If it's a fixed lens camera, AF speed should not be an issue. So, we may see a battle between Sony 35 mm f/2 FF compact and Canon 50 mm f/2 FF compact.

EdB

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 10:19:31 PM »
Thought more about it. Instead of FF mirrorless, it may well be a fixed lens camera, like the RX1. If it's a fixed lens camera, AF speed should not be an issue. So, we may see a battle between Sony 35 mm f/2 FF compact and Canon 50 mm f/2 FF compact.

Canon has never really played to THAT small a niche customer. There are rumors of a FF NEX coming out and I think that is where they are going. I'd like to see this camera do away with the AA filter and have extreme detail and sharpness.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 10:19:31 PM »

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 10:26:44 PM »
I think FF mirrorless is probably on every camera company's agenda, but I doubt the technology/production cost is feasible at this point. It took two years to see Sony send in the RX-1 after the X100 (from APS-C fixed compact to FF compact).

I doubt many people is willing to stomach a 3000-dollar RX-1 anyways, let alone a FF mirrorless from any company (aside from Leica). Also, that means another line of FF mirrorless lenses...*shiver*
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 10:30:53 PM »

DSLR design is mature and beautifully familiar. But as a design which has it's roots in the SLR film bodies from 60 or so years ago, it comes with limitations....like that flapping mirror! So as to ensure a quick take-up of DSLR cameras during the transition time 10-12 years ago, marketing & boardroom decisions were made to make the transition as smooth as practical from SLR film bodies to DSLR, so continuing with the familiar form-factor came to pass. Coming from EOS-1 film bodies to the original EOS 1D & 1Ds delivered a form factor that was instantly familiar and quick to get working with. The new bodies took our existing glass and had major controls in the same places.

Fast forward a dozen years to 2012, a year where we have seen an explosion of mirrorless releases. The digital market penetration has been complete for years now. The market is now ready for new form factors which better suit the realities of digital image capture. Mirrorless is the future. Some of the early releases have been a bit hit and miss, but it's still early days. Expect the mirrorless market to mature very rapidly to a point where the DSLR form factor will be regarded as vintage sooner than you might expect.

I don't necessarily expect a FF pro level M camera to be a great deal smaller than my current 1-Series bodies. Once necessary ergonomic, EVF/hybrid viewfinders, AF speed etc have been satisfactorily delivered, there will be no stopping the M revolution...consigning the lovely old DSLR to history.

-PW

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 10:30:53 PM »