April 17, 2014, 11:38:14 PM

Author Topic: Best panorama photo stitching software.  (Read 12332 times)

canon816

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Best panorama photo stitching software.
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 05:21:49 AM »
I own PTGui Pro and CS6.  For simple and easy to align images ptgui will suffice but for anything with complex situations, i.e. difficult to assign control points, or super large with multi-laters PS6 has a much better stitching engine.

If you already have PS6 and you are not getting results you are happy with then you might want to learn the software a little better.  There are several auto align selections and each one is tailored to a specific type of panorama and depending on lens characteristics one may perform better then another.

IMO PS6 is the best one out there and I have demoed several and have extensive experience with PTGui Pro.  Nice thing is PTGui is cheap.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 05:21:49 AM »

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 07:33:49 AM »
Another vote for Microsoft's "Image Composite Editor" (ICE).

It is a free download from Microsoft's website and in my experience, has produced better results than Photoshop and other tools that I've tried.

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/ice/
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 07:37:37 AM by dilbert »

mws

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 07:59:07 AM »
Hugin works well. It's free, has a insane amount of options, but has a bit of a learning curve.

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

strikerwy

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • Tim Doolin Photography
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 08:47:56 AM »
I shoot quite a number of panoramic images.  After much research and dabbling with several, I settled on PtGui as well.  The interface is stupid easy, it processes images crazy fast, and the results are flawless.  I shoot using a Manfrotto 303sph head at times, but I also shoot quite a number freehand.  It deals with each type with equal aplomb. Some of my work has been printed from these files on metal prints at 4'x8'.  One commercial application printed one panorama at 22' in length.  They look beautiful.  Here are some samples to show how well the software deals with overlap/edges.  There was NO manipulation done to the software results.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 08:50:34 AM by strikerwy »
5D III, 7D, 70-200 2.8 MkII, 24-105, 16-35, 10-22 EF, Sigma 50-500 OS, 300-800 Sigmonster, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC and a boatload of Canon speedlights.

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 09:11:24 AM »
I downloaded PTgui and hugin. Both are quite complex. hugin delivers visibly inferior results to PTgui and Microsoft's ICE from a "lock and load" perspective. hugin's interface is crazy.

Given that I have never seen Microsoft's ICE deliver the wrong output, I can't see any reason for me to use PTgui, especially since ICE is free and PTgui is not.

emag

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 09:18:26 AM »
Windows ICE is fast and does a fairly good job.  Just dump the photos into it and rather quickly it will make the pano, disregarding photos that don't belong.  For online viewing, you can upload the panos to Photosynth.  I've recently done some interior panos of an old 19th century coastal defense fort (Ft. Barrancas) in Pensacola.  Magic Lantern to take the photos (auto HDR), Lightroom to stack and blend the images.  I find that the blended images usually need some enhancement after blending and it's easy to stay in Lightoom and do that.  I use ICE to make the pano and upload to Photsynth.

photosynth.net/search.aspx      I post as 'emag325'

Hugin is my second choice, it does an excellent job but is far slower.  It's a good front end for much of the software useful for panos.

I'm strictly a hobbyist and most of my work is done on a Vista laptop, those of you with more powerful computers will likely find other methods that work well for you.

Like most aspects of photography, this is one where you can take many paths to get to various flavors of your destination.

keithcooper

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
AutoPano Giga
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 09:38:05 AM »
Does everything I need, and is simple and easy to use...

Used it last year to create this 14 metre long print from a 21GB full res image

Wrote up an article about how and why if anyone is curious

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/14m_pano_print.html

Here's me pointing out some details :-)

canon rumors FORUM

AutoPano Giga
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 09:38:05 AM »

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 10:35:10 AM »
PtGui

All our commercial pictures are stitches - the Beverley Minster picture is a 12 frame stitch, 6 on bottom, 6 on top.

On our website you can see this in Superzoom mode, that is you can just keep zooming in and in. You wont find any joins or errors !

emag

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: AutoPano Giga
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 11:44:52 AM »
Does everything I need, and is simple and easy to use...

Used it last year to create this 14 metre long print from a 21GB full res image

Wrote up an article about how and why if anyone is curious

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/14m_pano_print.html

Keith - wonderful article, I only had time to skim it here at work but will delve into it at home.  You are a Master, thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 12:35:30 PM »
I downloaded PTgui and hugin. Both are quite complex. hugin delivers visibly inferior results to PTgui and Microsoft's ICE from a "lock and load" perspective. hugin's interface is crazy.

Given that I have never seen Microsoft's ICE deliver the wrong output, I can't see any reason for me to use PTgui, especially since ICE is free and PTgui is not.

Can you describe in a bit more detail what you saw in hugin that made it so inferior to PTGui?
I've not tried PTGui yet, but would be interested in knowing what to look for between the two.

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

RLPhoto

• 1D X
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2012, 10:15:07 PM »
Automate panoramics in CS3 for me. It just works.
24LII - 50L - 135L
---------------------------------
www.RamonLperez.com

alan e

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2012, 09:37:40 PM »
Hi
microsoft ICE is what i use ..it does an excellent job ,its extremely easy to use..i couldn't believe how good it was when i first started using it and its FREE !!
regards
Alan

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2012, 11:51:48 AM »
Hi
microsoft ICE is what i use ..it does an excellent job ,its extremely easy to use..i couldn't believe how good it was when i first started using it and its FREE !!
regards
Alan

Well, it is free only if you buy and use MS Windows.

;)

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2012, 11:51:48 AM »