July 29, 2014, 01:44:35 PM

Author Topic: Problem: slow AF 6D  (Read 7871 times)

daniela

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Problem: slow AF 6D
« on: December 17, 2012, 06:23:33 AM »
Need again some help:
 My new 6D suffers from an very slow AF function. I tried with 70-200 2.8 II and 100mm 2.8L. It takes a lot of time to get the picture sharp. Only the Center AF point is semi-fast, double the time of my old Cam.
When I choose an decentral AF-point, it takes more than 2 seconds in an good light situation. Both lenses work well on my old Camera.
I performed an reset, but nothing happened.

Send it back (own it now for 1 week), or get it repaired?

G
Dani

canon rumors FORUM

Problem: slow AF 6D
« on: December 17, 2012, 06:23:33 AM »

Sith Zombie

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Lightroom Images
Re: Problem: slow AF 6D
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 09:04:14 AM »
I don't have the camera so I can't offer a comparison as to how fast the autofocus should be. However if I was in your situation, I would take it back to the store and ask to test it against the store's display model to see if there is any difference in speed. If you bought it online then I guess you could still try the same approach, I doubt they would refuse you.
Anyway good luck.

risc32

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 09:45:03 AM »
send it back.

M.ST

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 09:50:11 AM »
Send it back and wait what is coming next year.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 10:24:33 AM »
Send it back.  I tried my friend's and it's very fast.  A lot faster than my 500D.  I think you got a lemon.

daniemare

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 10:50:19 AM »
Mine is fast, even in dimer indoor lighting.  Used a non-central point last night indoors.  It was faster than my 500D and accurate.

Take it back
Canon 6D, Canon 24-105 F4L IS, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100 F2.8L IS macro, Canon 50 F1.4, Canon 28 F1.8

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 11:17:06 AM »
I can also attest to it being very fast, I just got done shooting at very near pitch back lighting situation at a bar. Insanely better than my 9 point bodies.
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 5D mark III, and 2x6D. Canon 24mm Samyang/Rokinon, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 11:17:06 AM »

daniela

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 11:44:54 AM »
Thanks.
I´ll return it.

David Hull

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 12:15:32 PM »
Need again some help:
 My new 6D suffers from an very slow AF function. I tried with 70-200 2.8 II and 100mm 2.8L. It takes a lot of time to get the picture sharp. Only the Center AF point is semi-fast, double the time of my old Cam.
When I choose an decentral AF-point, it takes more than 2 seconds in an good light situation. Both lenses work well on my old Camera.
I performed an reset, but nothing happened.

Send it back (own it now for 1 week), or get it repaired?

G
Dani

I would take it back to the store you bought it at (assuming you did not get it mail order) and have them take a look at it.  I don't have this camera but I did take teh opportunity in a store recently to work with it a bit specifically to check out the AF.  I was interested in comparing it to my old 5DII.  I found it to be faster than the 5DII and it seemed les prone to hunting with the outer points.  On no occasion during around a half hour of testing did it ever take two seconds to acquire focus.  In general, as far as AF speed I found it to be on par with the 5DIII that I replaced the 5DII with.

IMO, if it is taking two seconds to lock, you have an issue.

daniela

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 02:58:51 PM »
Now, I am back from the store.
They sold about one dozen of 6Ds. My Cam was the second that has been returned.
The AF seems to have an problem. I got my money back (credit note) and.....

..... I got an Nikon D600 and an 24-85mm lens to do some testing until next week.

Sith Zombie

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Lightroom Images
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 03:17:30 PM »
Cool, please let us know what you think of the d600. I am hoping to get a full frame soon and I was looking at 6d or 5dmkiii but the d600 is so cheap it's insane! I'v seen it for £1250 on digital rev. It might even break the £1,000 barrier in another 6 months or so

Renegade Runner

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 04:46:42 PM »
I am beginning to think I am the only one who got a flawless 6D.   At least have not come across any issues yet.  I have my fingers crossed.
Rebel T1i, EOS 6D, EF 24-105, EFS 10-22, MP-E 65, 100 2.8, EF 100 2.8, 70-300 L, Sigma 150-500

www.pixeltrot.com

Botts

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 05:00:50 PM »
I am beginning to think I am the only one who got a flawless 6D.   At least have not come across any issues yet.  I have my fingers crossed.

Mine's been great too.  Depending on what body the OP was coming from I can see his frustration.  If he was coming from a 7D, then it makes sense he's complaining about the AF.  If he was coming from a T2i or similar, the 6D, mine at least, smokes it for AF speed.

However, I put my 6D though a scenario I knew it would lose yesterday, tracking my dog running flat out towards me after a ball my friend had thrown.  My old 7D jumped at this opportunity nailing every shot, the 6D returned 1 of 6 shots tack sharp, 2 sort of acceptable, and 3 not at all acceptable.  This was using centre-point only.  Although I was able to shoot at 6,400 cleanly to stop motion, which I couldn't have done with the 7D.

The fact of the matter is, I knew going in that I'd lose AF ability with the 6D at the gain of better DOF control and low-light capability.  I also gained $500-800 by not going 5D3.  I don't often shoot high-speed action so it was a good tradeoff for me.  It is good to know the limitations though.
6D, Sigma 35/1.4, 40STM, 50/1.4, 70-200/4 IS, 430ex II
T2i, 17-55/2.8 IS, 270ex

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 05:00:50 PM »

xps

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 05:45:21 PM »

Mine's been great too.  Depending on what body the OP was coming from I can see his frustration.  If he was coming from a 7D, then it makes sense he's complaining about the AF.  If he was coming from a T2i or similar, the 6D, mine at least, smokes it for AF speed.

However, I put my 6D though a scenario I knew it would lose yesterday, tracking my dog running flat out towards me after a ball my friend had thrown.  My old 7D jumped at this opportunity nailing every shot, the 6D returned 1 of 6 shots tack sharp, 2 sort of acceptable, and 3 not at all acceptable.  This was using centre-point only.  Although I was able to shoot at 6,400 cleanly to stop motion, which I couldn't have done with the 7D.

The fact of the matter is, I knew going in that I'd lose AF ability with the 6D at the gain of better DOF control and low-light capability.  I also gained $500-800 by not going 5D3.  I don't often shoot high-speed action so it was a good tradeoff for me.  It is good to know the limitations though.

My first 7D had an awful image quality. The second, is quite ok.
 I was disappointed by the slow Autofocus of my brandnew 6D. But this is not normal, it is an technical problem that occured. 2 seconds to get sharp. Second, the AF fields had an red corona and sometimes did not disappear - and stayed lighted.
Your thoughts were mine, too. It bought it as an second body to get better image quality for stills, macro, available light, landscape.... specially if there is not much light.

p.s. And the "he" is female.... I have met her.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 04:42:08 AM by xps »

Area256

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 08:42:48 PM »

I've had basically the same experience, didn't notice a huge speed increase over the 60D, but it's fast even it poor light, and with long focus throw lenses like the 100L.  Camera works great for my needs, AF tracking is not so hot, but I don't use it anyway, so the extra money (vs. a 5D3) is going to fund a 135L in the near future.

I'd say best to buy any new camera like this, or the d600, locally so you can return it without hassle if needed.
6D, 24-105mm f/4L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 40mm f/2.8, lots of strobist stuff.
Flickr  500px

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 08:42:48 PM »