September 21, 2014, 10:11:10 AM

Author Topic: DxO optics pro (8)  (Read 6530 times)

well_dunno

• 7D
    • View Profile
DxO optics pro (8)
« on: December 17, 2012, 10:11:58 PM »
Hello all,

I have been trying out Dxo optics pro 8 and found the lens correction part very nice - the contrast seem to decrease somehow with autocorrection though. Considering to purchase it but I have no experience on LR (or any other Adobe software) so I was wondering whether anyone could provide feedback whether DxO optics pro is a good option.

I have 2 OS, windows and linux and use darktable, raw therapee and gimp mainly.  Lens correction data I could locate for these programs mainly refer to distortion correction and is not as extensive as the DxO offering.

Any feedback will be appreciated..

Cheers!

canon rumors FORUM

DxO optics pro (8)
« on: December 17, 2012, 10:11:58 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: DxO optics pro (8)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 10:18:21 PM »
I'm quite happy with DxO, and use it as my main RAW converter (but not library management, that's Aperture).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

well_dunno

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 04:49:40 PM »
Thanks Neuro!

pj1974

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 06:56:22 PM »
I use DxO Optics Pro (have been using a few versions over the years, and v8 is a good upgrade).

well_dunno - I've never had contrast decrease in the output.  Hmmm.. I wonder if that has something to do with your settings (eg does your workflow mainly use RAW original files, or JPEGs?)

I must admit that mainly due to storage and PC limitations, most of my photos over the years have been JPEGs (but have used RAW for tricky lighting and or critical situations).  But the way I use DxO (also with 'autocorrect') usually gives a nice boost of contrast, sharpness and saturation where needed, without over-cooking it. I wonder what settings you have (eg affecting micro-contrast, etc?)

Last night I actually just bought DxO's Viewpoint - as I love wide angle shots, and saw it having some good potential (as a registered DxO purchaser / user, they give good discounts!)

A few weeks ago I bought a new PC (running Windows 8) - and plan to be shooting more RAWS and pushing them through DxO 8.. should work faster.

Hope my input is helpful and that you'll get good outcomes (ie both high quality images / photos and enjoyment from photography).

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 10:52:44 PM »
Damn.  Now you guys have me looking at DXO Pro Elite.  Remind me to kick your a....... oh never mind.  It's just more money for photography.  The kids can wear those 'high water' pants another month or two!   :D

What would you say is your biggest reason for using DXO?  I assume this adds a step into your workflow.  From original RAW in to DXO out to DNG in to Lightroom (or whatever you use, like Aperture) then eventually out to whatever like custom JPG.

-  Just for grins, how does it work on JPGs from P&S cameras?
-  Do you usually do all the culling/sorting/deleting in DXO?
-  Does DXO convert into DNG faster than Lightroom?
-  Does the DNG DXO creates have the RAW file embedded?
-  I assume all the changes DXO makes are non-destructive but still integrated into the DNG, correct?  (No sidecar files if using DNG?)
-  CA adjustment in LR4 is pretty good.  Ditto for NR and Lens Profiles.  Why do you think DXO is better?
-  How well does the dust speck removal work?  That would be pretty nice if it worked better than what I have to do manually in LR.  (Because I always forget to do dust delete data collection shots in camera.)

-  Can the DXO changes be undone later in Lightroom?

What are the features that you miss or think need improvement in DXO?

File sizes after DXO?  Bigger?  Similar to Lightroom generated DNG files?

Thanks in advance for the info guys.

Rusty
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 10:58:51 PM »
FYI, I got some of my answers from the other thread that discusses this same topic.

Perhaps it might be easier to just shoot perfect pictures every time.  Yeah, that's my plan...  :D
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

well_dunno

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 01:03:07 PM »
I use DxO Optics Pro (have been using a few versions over the years, and v8 is a good upgrade).

well_dunno - I've never had contrast decrease in the output.  Hmmm.. I wonder if that has something to do with your settings (eg does your workflow mainly use RAW original files, or JPEGs?)

Hi Paul, thanks for the input! Using RAW only in the workflow - I did figure out the reason for decreased contrast though - it is this (new?) smart lighting feature that is on by default. It seems to push the shadows up a bit giving the feeling of decreased contrast. By disabling or changing its settings it is possible to undo that effect (if one dislikes it that is).

Also purchased the software now and got a 30 Euro offer for the viewpoint - having never looked at the software, I would appreciate if you share your thoughts on it...

Cheers!
J

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 01:03:07 PM »

well_dunno

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 02:28:05 PM »
Rusty - I am fairly new to the software (being mainly a linux user) and have never used LR.Thus I don't think I can provide useful info for your questions.

In linux there are good pieces of software for library management as well as image processing but I have not been able to locate lens correction data a la DxO. Also, regardless one likes the results or not, DxO is publishing lens and sensor test results and is a source of free info. That is my reason for considering them as the first option...

Cheers!

2n10

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 03:59:11 PM »
I have DxO Optics Pro 8 also and like it very much.  If you save the processed file to DNG you can undo the DxO changes in LR as best as LR can do.  No changes are made to the raw file by DxO and other programs can not read the DxO file that contains the changes you made that I know of.

I also have LR and again think it is a good program.

I got DxO after reading Neuro's glowing praise of it and getting a trial.  I got version 7, then trialled LR4 and got it since it seemed to do better than DxO 7.  DxO 8 came out and it now appears to do better then LR4 most of the time so it is again my main RAW converter.
Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 100 Macro, EF 50 1.4, EF 70-300, EF 100-400L

Anthony

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 04:33:35 PM »
Using Dxo since V3.
Can't quit this wonderful program

well_dunno

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 02:49:12 PM »
Hi guys,

Below is a raw comparison from DPP and DXO with all corrections off - 100% from an image I took uneasily a few days ago due to wild boars and  hunters close by. I am sure many have done similar comparisons. Why would DxO show a softer image?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 03:20:26 PM »
Below is a raw comparison from DPP and DXO with all corrections off - 100% from an image I took uneasily a few days ago due to wild boars and  hunters close by. I am sure many have done similar comparisons. Why would DxO show a softer image?

If I had to guess, something is not turned off...

Here's one I just did, sharpness looks the same (full image and 100% crop below).  In DxO, I used the No Corrections preset.  In DPP, I set all the sliders for sharpness/unsharp mask, NR, etc., to zero (or 100, in the case of saturation).  There's no 'none' option for Picture Style, I used Neutral, but that's still a style, and that's why the colors are flatter in the DPP conversion.  If anything, it looks like DPP's Neutral style is reducing the contrast slightly.

well_dunno

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 03:40:57 PM »
Really helpful, thank you Neuro! I will check the settings over...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 03:40:57 PM »

jwilbern

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • EOS 60D, S90
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 05:09:40 PM »
I use Dxo and Aperture. What is the best file format to export from Dxo to Aperture?
EOS 60D, S90

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 05:38:02 PM »
I use Dxo and Aperture. What is the best file format to export from Dxo to Aperture?

What do you plan to do to the images in Aperture? 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 05:38:02 PM »