November 26, 2014, 05:11:26 PM

Author Topic: Stop Using Instagram  (Read 13703 times)

extremeinstability

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Instability.com
Re: Stop Using Instagram
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2012, 04:25:58 PM »
I think most larger companies wanting images and often purchasing images, kind of fear not paying someone.  Say someone snags a photo off my website and posts it on instagram/etc and they get it that way.  So then I send them(end user) a nice bill or let a lawyer do it as the images are registered.  At least if they are paying someone, they should have a better recourse if someone does that.  Because I sure won't care if they can't then find whoever snagged the image.  So many times I've been told "well a friend of blah said we could use these images."  Great, like I care what someone fed you.  Seems plenty out there learn it is better to be paying someone something.  Course I laugh inside knowing the crazy amount that don't and think it is cool to just snag and use. The amount of people that will snag any and everything off the net and "share it" in their own folder on these sites, I don't get how many companies are going to feel real great taking free images from these same places.  They are at least less protected going that route. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2012, 04:25:58 PM »

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2012, 04:31:39 PM »
Here's an interesting view: Is deleting Instagram going to be the new deleting Facebook?
Google Trends definitely looks like it. I'm a statistical maths nerd, so I'll be watching these lines over the next few days once it's had a while to sink in and for the numbers to come through.

Interesting that a spike already happened in April, coincidentally when FB bought IG, and it's been climbing ever since...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2012, 04:33:18 PM »
cayenne - You have a nice service deal there.  Kudos!  Unfortunately most folks don't have a deal like that and pretty much all residential ISP services block incoming web requests to prevent web hosting, email hosting, ftp hosting, etc.  So while you have the ability and the bandwidth, most don't.

The other problem is that if everyone was fortunate enough to have what you have, they still don't have the time, skill or desire to build and maintain a web site.  It's a lot harder than people might think.  And for those that have the skill and the knowledge, they have the distinct pleasure of dealing with all the security and breach attempts that constantly occur on the Internet.

Paying a reputable place like Zenfolio, GoDaddy, etc to do the heavy lifting is usually a much better choice and the up time is better too.

Building a website is a great experience and very rewarding but you have to enjoy it for it to be worth the effort and time.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

EdB

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2012, 05:34:13 PM »
Just read this, not sure how well that would stand up in court but I wouldn't want to be the one to find out. Bolding is mine.

"According to the changes, effective January 16, 2013, any photograph posted on Instagram’s service can be repackaged and sold by Instagram for advertising purposes without the user’s knowledge or consent.  In addition, by agreeing to the new terms, users are responsible for any legal claims that may result from the promotion or use of their images.

Long story short: Instagram can use your content to increase their revenue, and if a legal claim is brought against the company regarding how these images have been used, you (the user) might be responsible for the damages."

Read more: http://lightbox.time.com/2012/12/18/unfiltered-photographers-react-to-instagrams-new-terms/#ixzz2FRfSat4O

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2012, 06:00:34 PM »
Read more: http://lightbox.time.com/2012/12/18/unfiltered-photographers-react-to-instagrams-new-terms/#ixzz2FRfSat4O

Read that link, then followed the link at the bottom to here.

Sounds like Instagram are trying to confuse people with this line: "Instagram users own their content and Instagram does not claim any ownership rights over your photos."

That's not the point, Instagram. The point is that by using Instagram, you retain ownership and copyright but you give Instagram a royalty free and unlimited license to use and sell your stuff. In fact, not only are you letting them use it, but by retaining ownership yourself, YOU are responsible for legal liability.

It's like this: You own a car (photo). By putting BrandX Petrol in your car (using Instagram), you are letting anyone from BrandX drive your car, and they can let anyone else drive your car, and make money by letting others drive your car (Instagram can sell your photos to others). And if anyone of these (potentially unlimited number of) people driving your car hits and kills anyone, you pay for their healthcare/funeral.

Scary stuff.
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2012, 06:18:08 PM »

Sounds like Instagram are trying to confuse people with this line: "Instagram users own their content and Instagram does not claim any ownership rights over your photos."

That's not the point, Instagram. The point is that by using Instagram, you retain ownership and copyright but you give Instagram a royalty free and unlimited license to use and sell your stuff. In fact, not only are you letting them use it, but by retaining ownership yourself, YOU are responsible for legal liability.

It's like this: You own a car (photo). By putting BrandX Petrol in your car (using Instagram), you are letting anyone from BrandX drive your car, and they can let anyone else drive your car, and make money by letting others drive your car (Instagram can sell your photos to others). And if anyone of these (potentially unlimited number of) people driving your car hits and kills anyone, you pay for their healthcare/funeral.

Scary stuff.
Wow.  What an interesting twist!  Let the original owner retain ownership for liability reasons but still retain the right to make revenue risk free.  Wow.  That sounds pretty lawyery!

Time to unleash the hamster p0rn and see if I get sued!  Makes me think of that furniture p0rn I saw a while back.  No rodents or couches were harming the making of this photo!!  LOL!

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2012, 07:52:13 PM »
Not that you can't find this stuff yourself but here's a couple mashable posts that I thought were interesting...

http://mashable.com/2012/12/18/celebrity-outrage-instagram-terms-of-service/
http://mashable.com/2012/12/18/instagram-heard-you/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2012, 07:52:13 PM »

HeavenHell

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2012, 08:40:01 PM »
I'm amazed someone actually bothered to read the terms & conditions.  Glad people are looking out for the rest of us.  ;)
Canon T2i, 7D, 5DM3
24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/4L, 85 f1.8, 100 f/2.8 Macro, 50 f/1.4, 17-55 f/2.8, Tamron 90 f/2.8, 70-300 L

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2012, 09:07:26 PM »
Good thing this is a slow news day.  It's been kinda fun following this.  Instagram/Facebook is probably hating it today in the short term but I doubt they'll change anything.  They'll just move forward knowing how fickle people are once the coolness wears off of quitting their beloved photo app service.  It's easy to join the crowd and do the easy opt out while everyone is shouting but it's a lot harder to stick to your guns a week later.  I would be interested to see how the analytics look from this time to after Christmas and Jan 15th when everyone has been sitting around bored taking lots of pictures to share in their holiday free time and parties with their new iDevices and camera phones.  People in general are sheep.  Instagram probably picked a great time to make this announcement.

EdB

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2012, 09:19:19 PM »

Scary stuff.

Nice pickup. There was a lot said in that post but nothing said that they won't use images in the future, just that they have no plans to right now. I'm glad I don't use it.

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2012, 09:27:54 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20777616
Looks like somebody is taking notice or doing damage control! They think it is due to "confusing" choice of language!

Wow!

picturesbyme

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • AtlanticPicture.com
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2012, 09:33:27 PM »
Good thing this is a slow news day.  It's been kinda fun following this.  Instagram/Facebook is probably hating it today in the short term but I doubt they'll change anything.  They'll just move forward knowing how fickle people are once the coolness wears off of quitting their beloved photo app service.  It's easy to join the crowd and do the easy opt out while everyone is shouting but it's a lot harder to stick to your guns a week later.  I would be interested to see how the analytics look from this time to after Christmas and Jan 15th when everyone has been sitting around bored taking lots of pictures to share in their holiday free time and parties with their new iDevices and camera phones.  People in general are sheep.  Instagram probably picked a great time to make this announcement.

+1
People move on... forget... don't care...

krjc

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2012, 10:05:51 PM »
I think people are over reacting. No big deal.

Sincerely from a Google share owner. 8)
Now-> Cameras: 7D, 5D3, T4i, G12 Lens: 24-105, 10-22 EFS, 17-55EFS, 50 1.4, 100 2.8 macro IS, 70-200 2.8IS II, 100-400, TC 2 III, MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x, 16-35 F4 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2012, 10:05:51 PM »

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2012, 10:21:38 PM »
Yep!  Time to move on.... already spent more time on it than I should have.  Slow day in general.  I need to get busy.   ;)

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2012, 10:48:01 PM »
Thanks Dr. C for bringing this to people's attention. It looks like Instagram has backed down (and is hiding behind the "oh it was all just a simple misunderstanding, we really love you and wouldn't do anything to hurt you excuse.)

The truth is that when companies step in it, as they did, it's great that in today's world of instant communication, the word gets around quickly and when faced with a massive backlash they have to do some fast back-pedaling.

This is very important and I appreciate those who brought it out into the open.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2012, 10:48:01 PM »