September 22, 2014, 12:14:24 AM

Author Topic: Stop Using Instagram  (Read 12866 times)

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Stop Using Instagram
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2012, 11:16:10 PM »
Why the big uproar?! In the current economic climate I think it's a good thing that a small local business like Facebook will buy instagram and make a good use of all these photos. They can then sell the photos to other poor companies that cant afford to hire a photographer. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history!
You are joking right?
I'd say so... ;)

But isn't this typical? The mongrels will see a tangible quality drop...Here's another take on the story:
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/smartphone-apps/instarage-as-instagram-claims-right-to-sell-your-photos-20121219-2blrf.html

-PW

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2012, 11:16:10 PM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2012, 11:20:30 PM »
Sooooooooo glad I got OUT of professional photography. So glad.

How this this relate to the original post? Maybe your competitors are soooooooooooo glad you left the industry, but what about you? It's one of the best professions in the world. I know for sure it beats the hell out of having to work for a living!

But seriously, don't let this scurrilous, unethical rights grab undermine your operation. Stand tall and out-shoot every one that you can.

-PW

iris chrome

« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2012, 12:21:34 AM »
Here's an interesting view: Is deleting Instagram going to be the new deleting Facebook?
Google Trends definitely looks like it. I'm a statistical maths nerd, so I'll be watching these lines over the next few days once it's had a while to sink in and for the numbers to come through.

Interesting that a spike already happened in April, coincidentally when FB bought IG, and it's been climbing ever since...

But Google Trends are very misleading and useless IMO. They only tell you the results as a percentage so, for all we know, they could have had only 10 searches for that term in April and now they have 20...  ::)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 12:30:01 AM by iris chrome »

WSMyles

« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2012, 01:15:39 AM »
just as the Chef makes the meal not the oven, the photographer makes the photograph not the camera

...so, I guess Instagram is the Swanson TV Dinner in this analogy?   :D

<Snigger> With all due respect, it's more like the rusty electric kettle with dodgy wiring used to prepare instant noodles. :)

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2012, 02:05:09 AM »
Sooooooooo glad I got OUT of professional photography. So glad.

How this this relate to the original post? Maybe your competitors are soooooooooooo glad you left the industry, but what about you? It's one of the best professions in the world. I know for sure it beats the hell out of having to work for a living!

But seriously, don't let this scurrilous, unethical rights grab undermine your operation. Stand tall and out-shoot every one that you can.

-PW

You do not believe photography is 'work'?? To me it certainly IS! It is something I enjoy a lot but it still is WORK... :)

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2012, 09:13:37 AM »
Even after all of the outrage, so far as I know Instagram have not presented a new, fixed, TOS. So why they released a press release to "talk" to people, they appear to have not fixed the actual problem.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2012, 11:49:01 AM »
Even after all of the outrage, so far as I know Instagram have not presented a new, fixed, TOS. So why they released a press release to "talk" to people, they appear to have not fixed the actual problem.

Wait, wait...you mean a blog post isn't legally binding?   :o
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2012, 11:49:01 AM »

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2012, 08:59:55 PM »
But Google Trends are very misleading and useless IMO. They only tell you the results as a percentage so, for all we know, they could have had only 10 searches for that term in April and now they have 20...  ::)

True, except when you compare it to something like a more popular search.
When twice as many people want to delete an Instagram account as want to delete a Facebook account, you know you're in trouble. (and how many people have FB accounts compared to IG accounts? like 1bn vs 200m or something?)
Latest data tells the story pretty well. At least people are listening.
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2012, 09:43:25 PM »
I've never understood folks who don't read the facebook TOS, or any other site for that matter.  too many don't even think twice before assuming that a particular site exists for the greater good of the people, and oh look what I can totally give to fb with a perpetual royalty free world wide license.    I post an occasional photo on fb but its always low res and always something that I really don't care if it gets stolen. its astonishing the amount of personal information people really give away to fb.

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2012, 09:54:07 PM »
just as the Chef makes the meal not the oven, the photographer makes the photograph not the camera

...so, I guess Instagram is the Swanson TV Dinner in this analogy?   :D

<Snigger> With all due respect, it's more like the rusty electric kettle with dodgy wiring used to prepare instant noodles. :)
Hey!  I resemble that remark!   :D
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2012, 03:59:21 PM »
Well that was only a matter of time...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

DCM1024

« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2012, 09:02:20 PM »
Yesterday I was at Best Buy getting a new phone when the subject of Instagram came up. The customer sitting next to me said that a photo of her cousin, who is a dancer for the Knicks, had been used by Instagram for advertising without her permission. The cousin was upset and afraid that the usage would get her in trouble at work. In addition to TOS, what became of a model release? I told the lady about the class action suit and told her to pass the info along to her cousin.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2012, 09:02:20 PM »