Gear Talk > Canon General

necessity of photography school

(1/12) > >>

Dark Reality:
A few photography school related questions.

for those who went to school, do you feel like you learned a great amount, or was it more of a business decision to have a diploma.

And from 1 to 10, where would you say you were at before and then after 1 = not knowing you can take off the lens on a slr.  10 = Neuroanatomist

And lastly, could you have learned the same from the internet and experienced friends?

Edit- I do consider photography a form of art and when I said learn, I meant more than just the tech aspect.   

verysimplejason:

--- Quote from: Dark Reality on December 19, 2012, 09:42:20 AM ---A few photography school related questions.

for those who went to school, do you feel like you learned a great amount, or was it more of a business decision to have a diploma.

And from 1 to 10, where would you say you were at before and then after 1 = not knowing you can take off the lens on a slr.  10 = Neuroanatomist

And lastly, could you have learned the same from the internet and experienced friends?

--- End quote ---

Having a mentor that can share experiences is the one of the best way to learn other than learning directly from experience.  It's just the same when you go to school.  You might have been taught the same subject and same amount of theories as that with other students but it doesn't mean that what you learn is on par with what others learn.  It always depends on the person on how fast can he assimilate the knowledge and put them to use in the real world.  That said, you'd still be better off learning from a guru.  Of course any avenues of learning is always welcome.

One more thing, please learn more on the art of real photography.  Sometimes, we tend to be pixel-peepers/tech-heads.  There's nothing wrong with that except that if we do that, we are forgetting the real essence of why we are taking pictures.  :)

Krob78:

--- Quote from: Dark Reality on December 19, 2012, 09:42:20 AM ---A few photography school related questions.

--- End quote ---
The more you learn, the better equipped you can be!  Then again, there is the "School of Hard Clicks", which has worked out well for many!  School may take some time off the learning curve though!

ChilledXpress:

--- Quote from: verysimplejason on December 19, 2012, 10:11:52 AM ---One more thing, please learn more on the art of real photography.  Sometimes, we tend to be pixel-peepers/tech-heads.  There's nothing wrong with that except that if we do that, we are forgetting the real essence of why we are taking pictures.  :)

--- End quote ---

+1

I really think there is a huge difference between knowing what a camera is technically and being a classically trained photographer... Those who go to photography school are learning far more than the AF systems and MTF charts of cameras and lenses. Anyone can take photos of color charts and rattle off spec sheets, this is not what photography school is about. If this is what you are referring to... then you're really talking about Photography 101 not photography school. You don't need to go to photography school for that. I received my md/phd after about 14 years of school... along the way I took more than a few classes about photography and art. I know about cameras and lenses... is that photography school. Absolutely not... I would never say that was even close to equivalent. Photography school encompasses so much more than the technical aspects of photography. Does that mean you can't be a photographer without formal school... No, and that really is my answer to your second question.

bchernicoff:
I have wondered about this too. Over the last 4 years or so, I have gone from barely an SLR knowledge to having a nearly complete technical understanding. I would say that I have mastered candid or outdoor photography. I know how to do basic fill flash just fine.

I've bought a basic studio strobe set, some reflectors and modifiers and am trying to learn pro-quality lighting. Right now, I'm pretty terrible. I've wondered if taking some classes would be the way to really learn lighting. I'd really like to learn more of the artistic side as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version