Gear Talk > Canon General

necessity of photography school

<< < (12/12)

LetTheRightLensIn:

--- Quote from: Dark Reality on December 19, 2012, 09:42:20 AM ---A few photography school related questions.

for those who went to school, do you feel like you learned a great amount, or was it more of a business decision to have a diploma.

And from 1 to 10, where would you say you were at before and then after 1 = not knowing you can take off the lens on a slr.  10 = Neuroanatomist

And lastly, could you have learned the same from the internet and experienced friends?

Edit- I do consider photography a form of art and when I said learn, I meant more than just the tech aspect.   

--- End quote ---

First, you need to say more, what are your goals, what do you want to do? Does making a living out of it matter in the end? PJ oriented? Fashion? Weddings? Nature? Street? Abstract? Everything?

I'd go to school for something else, photography isn't the easiest way to make money. Many who make money in it or who became big names never took any photo classes at all or just a few the side too. Sometimes business skills and to be a huge self-promoter can matter as much as anything else, depending upon what your goals are. Depending upon your aim you could fill up electives with either more PJ-oriented or more art-oriented creative photo classes on the side, some lighting classes and such might help if you might ever want to go that way, try to nab internships and tag along or third shooter assignments, go to serious clubs, try to get involved in circles of the sort of photography you want to do. I'm not sure how many schools have pure photography majors, I'd guess that at most liberal arts schools it would be more like a general art major with an extra focus on photography. Work for the school paper or become involved in the campus art/photo community on the side. Having a PJ degree might help a bit but that is a tough business these days, you could get a lot of experience just working, in a serious fashion, for school paper if it is a big one.

But it is hard to say without knowing what your actual goals are.

LetTheRightLensIn:

--- Quote from: PackLight on December 19, 2012, 03:04:08 PM ---
"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop."
Ansel Adams

I am sure he had a few bad exposures.

I wonder what he would have said about DxO scores. ::)

--- End quote ---

Probably a lot considering how much time he spent in the lab fiddling with emulsions and developers and practicing arts of advanced dodging and burning and so on. Heck, he might have even been the head of DxO scores division.

He was both an artist and outdoors guy AND a big time techie, lab guy.

awinphoto:
If i could, when looking into college... make sure you are looking into the right degrees... I got a BA in professional photography with a major in industrial photography...  I am now settled and I interview students every so often from our local universities "Fine Art" students with an emphasis in photography... wow... They can conceptualize well, they can do elaborate scenes... but when it comes to professional photography, coming up with products a client would buy, they struggle.  As fine arts, they are good at self portraits... good at making artsy fartsy photos you may see in a modern art gallery... BUT... to come up with a solid portrait that a client would pay money for...  they are few and far between.  So I would be wary of fine art degree schools with an "emphasis" in photography, but instead look for schools that offer degrees in Professional Photography. 

Krob78:
I think degrees are great and schooling will certainly get you over the learning curve quicker.  Hard to replace all the lessons learned by pushing that shutter button over and over and over too!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version