October 24, 2014, 05:45:24 AM

Author Topic: Flash transceiver  (Read 4714 times)

mw

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Flash transceiver
« on: December 19, 2012, 11:47:52 AM »
I have a 5D3 and a Speedlight 430EX. Is it possible to set up a wireless connection between the camera and flash without adding in separate transmitter and receiver? I had a 7D a while back and I was able to do a wireless set up, but not on the 5D3 for some reasons.

canon rumors FORUM

Flash transceiver
« on: December 19, 2012, 11:47:52 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Flash transceiver
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 12:04:21 PM »
No.  On the 7D, the popup flash is the transmitter - the 5DIII does not have one.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

mw

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 03:47:34 PM »
No.  On the 7D, the popup flash is the transmitter - the 5DIII does not have one.

As always, thank you. 

In that case, any recommendation for a dependable flash transmitter and receiver that won't burn my wallet?  I am not planning to use it often.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 03:52:53 PM by mw »

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 04:26:30 PM »
Having had pretty much the same problem, I just ordered two Yongnuo YN-622C's. Depending on your location, you should be able to get them for anywhere between 80 and 100 USD for the pair. Anything cheaper will be far less versatile. Most alternatives with equal functionality are more expensive (Pocket Wizards, Phottix Odin) or again less functional (Phottix Strato, older YN's). Flip side is that build quality of YN is far from stellar.
Fed up with brandism.

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 04:33:37 PM »
Having had pretty much the same problem, I just ordered two Yongnuo YN-622C's. Depending on your location, you should be able to get them for anywhere between 80 and 100 USD for the pair. Anything cheaper will be far less versatile. Most alternatives with equal functionality are more expensive (Pocket Wizards, Phottix Odin) or again less functional (Phottix Strato, older YN's). Flip side is that build quality of YN is far from stellar.

The Phottix Strato II's are fairly reasonable, although it's a simple trigger, and don't give you any kind of TTL build quality is fairly decent, and it's RF which means it can trigger where you don't have line-of-sight which is needed for the built-in TTL on the 430 EX/580EX speedlites. The Yongnuo YN-622C's are RF with TTL support, and by most reviews they work well which for their price is fantastic. I haven't tried them yet, but I'm tempted to even though I already have the Strato II's, 1 transmitter 3 receivers simply because the wireless TTL and wireless manually setting the power of the speedlites would be fantastic.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 05:15:40 PM »
Your cheapest, best option is the Yongnuo ST-E2. About half the price of the Canon, but offers several improvements: 1) longer range; 2) swivel mount so you can point it at the Speedlites; 3) works through the camera menu system; 4) recognizes three firing groups AB&C; 5) Uses double AA batteries.

Downside is it does tend to overheat if you are doing an intensive shoot. Requiring a break in the shooting.

That is, of course, an infrared solution, so it works with the 430 and any additional 430s or 580s you might get, without any additional cost. But, it isn't a radio solution.

Due to the overheating issue, I just bought two sets of the Yongnuo 622-Cs. I've only tested them out and haven't used them yet for any real shooting, but so far, they work great. A little more expensive, but they have the advantage of being a radio system instead of Infrared. I'll keep the ST-E2 as a backup or when I don't have enough receivers. (Since you can pretty much fire an infinite number of speedlites with the ST-E2 so long as they can see the signal). By the way, I've never had any problem with the ST-E2 signal not firing a strobe, but I don't use them for long distances (although I have used them outdoors).
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 05:51:45 PM »
Another option would be the relatively new Canon Speedlite 90EX - $150, functions as an on camera master, and gives you low-power (e.g., fill) flash capability if you need it.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 05:51:45 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 06:54:13 PM »
Your cheapest, best option is the Yongnuo ST-E2. About half the price of the Canon, but offers several improvements: 1) longer range; 2) swivel mount so you can point it at the Speedlites; 3) works through the camera menu system; 4) recognizes three firing groups AB&C; 5) Uses double AA batteries.

Downside is it does tend to overheat if you are doing an intensive shoot. Requiring a break in the shooting.

That is, of course, an infrared solution, so it works with the 430 and any additional 430s or 580s you might get, without any additional cost. But, it isn't a radio solution.

Due to the overheating issue, I just bought two sets of the Yongnuo 622-Cs. I've only tested them out and haven't used them yet for any real shooting, but so far, they work great. A little more expensive, but they have the advantage of being a radio system instead of Infrared. I'll keep the ST-E2 as a backup or when I don't have enough receivers. (Since you can pretty much fire an infinite number of speedlites with the ST-E2 so long as they can see the signal). By the way, I've never had any problem with the ST-E2 signal not firing a strobe, but I don't use them for long distances (although I have used them outdoors).

these dont work on the 5Dmk3 there is some sync problem the flash fires but misses the shutter window
APS-H Fanboy

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 06:56:16 PM »
Another option would be the relatively new Canon Speedlite 90EX - $150, functions as an on camera master, and gives you low-power (e.g., fill) flash capability if you need it.

this is a good option and its tiny and light and actually even as on camera flash for close portraits indoors with decent ISO it seems to have enough power when used with the 85mm i like this little flash
APS-H Fanboy

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 07:27:23 PM »
If your willing to go full manual, there are available transceivers from Yongnuo.  I'm using RF603.  It's very cheap, less than 100 bucks (around 60?).  You can also go TTL but will cost you around twice.  The 90EX is also nice to have but for me a transceiver set is a better option if funds are limited.  You can add another set if you want to accommodate more flashes.

mw

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 08:19:29 PM »
Thank you all.

Looks like the Yongnuo YN-622C is what I am looking for.

CliveB

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 09:14:23 PM »
You may find the info in my "The Other YN-622C User Guide" of interest:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B77OmmGIg0gMVFpqNkpBYXBHajA
Clive

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 11:17:37 PM »

I found this by chance the other day, then lost the link. Thanks for posting it. This is very well-done and helpful.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 11:17:37 PM »

birtembuk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 12:13:21 AM »
If you use your remote triggered flash every day, Yongnuo might not be the very first choice. If not, then that's worth a look. I use 4 Yongnuo RF603 to fire 3 flashes in one go. A breeze, and flawless so far ! Paid about 45 bucks a pair, so if one was to fail, I'd just buy a new one. Full manual, but when using several of them, I always adjust my flashes this way.

AdamJ

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 09:07:55 AM »

Clive, welcome to the forum. Your user guide is an invaluable resource for users of the 622. Thanks for producing it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 09:07:55 AM »