November 29, 2014, 05:26:52 AM

Author Topic: Hand on SONY RX 1.............AMAZING  (Read 8607 times)

Nishi Drew

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Hand on SONY RX 1.............AMAZING
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 11:50:59 PM »
Ken Rockwell says the color is crap, so it cannot be worth buying :)
Oh and it's $2800 BEFORE you buy either the EVF $445 or OVF $650 and the OVF is just glass - no information :(

I keep telling everyone that the Fuji X-Pro 1 + 35mm F/1.4 has better IQ than my 5D MK3 but nobody believes me :)
If this were anything but a Sony, I'd be interested.
EVF only is not much use for street photography either (I've been playing with the EVF only Fuji XE-1).

There are serious rumors Fuji is working on a FF version of it's amazing X-Trans sensor, which will positively take names.
I'll wait for that...

ET

Very true, even the lens hood costs something like $200 extra! That's where they really hope to make their cash, or some way to make buyers believe that they really cut down on a lot to make it "super cheap" at 2800, so the accessories are to compensate... or whatever...

The rumors for an FF fuji have been around, but problem is the lenses, they are all built for crop sensors, and the lens roadmap still has many lenses to come, so having to design a whole new set of lenses for a larger sensor/different system, especially when Fuji can't keep up with their own lens production (they delayed one of their wide angles in favor of putting together more zooms), doesn't seem possible. Who knows, if anyone it's Fuji that can wow us again though.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 11:50:59 PM »

Neutral

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 04:51:21 AM »
Here is Michael Reichmann RX1 review on much respected www.luminous-landscape.com -very interesting:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sony_rx1_review.shtml

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 07:23:13 AM »
Oh and it's $2800 BEFORE you buy either the EVF $445 or OVF $650 and the OVF is just glass - no information :(

I keep telling everyone that the Fuji X-Pro 1 + 35mm F/1.4 has better IQ than my 5D MK3 but nobody believes me :)
EVF only is not much use for street photography either (I've been playing with the EVF only Fuji XE-1).

There are serious rumors Fuji is working on a FF version of it's amazing X-Trans sensor, which will positively take names.
I'll wait for that...

ET

Very true, even the lens hood costs something like $200 extra! That's where they really hope to make their cash, or some way to make buyers believe that they really cut down on a lot to make it "super cheap" at 2800, so the accessories are to compensate... or whatever...

The rumors for an FF fuji have been around, but problem is the lenses, they are all built for crop sensors, and the lens roadmap still has many lenses to come, so having to design a whole new set of lenses for a larger sensor/different system, especially when Fuji can't keep up with their own lens production (they delayed one of their wide angles in favor of putting together more zooms), doesn't seem possible. Who knows, if anyone it's Fuji that can wow us again though.
I had a Sony DSC-P30 in Ecuador, and upon return to Switzerland I bought a Sony DSC-F828 only to find out I needed some other memory cards (if I remember correctly) then I crashed it slipping out on ice under snow in early 2006 and that was it. Being amazed by the 20Ds IQ back then, I saved up for a 30D which I bought the next year. This August I got back to FF as I purchased the 5D3. Wouldn't go back to Sony again. For these same reasons as mentioned above. Not even because of better sensor tech. Canon will have to get this fixed, if they want to stay in the market. Maybe they are doing so already, while my 5D gently clicks ;-)
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 09:56:31 PM »
It is getting some great reviews, but as the review on dpreview states the accessories are crazy, and being forced to charge batteries in-camera is just not good.

If Sony addressed these issues it would have an amazing camera on its hands.

As for Canon, let's hope they do not get any ideas from Sony's pricing of extras. How much for that silly little hood again Ouch!
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Rofflesaurrr

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2012, 10:55:39 PM »
It is getting some great reviews, but as the review on dpreview states the accessories are crazy, and being forced to charge batteries in-camera is just not good.

If Sony addressed these issues it would have an amazing camera on its hands.

As for Canon, let's hope they do not get any ideas from Sony's pricing of extras. How much for that silly little hood again Ouch!

Sony actually has a wall charger for the RX100 and RX1 batteries that you can purchase separately. Pearstone is also working on a battery plate for their line of universal chargers. So, charging batteries in camera can be looked at as a convenience. Especially because you can use any micro USB cell phone charger in a pinch.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2012, 12:14:27 AM »
Sony actually has a wall charger for the RX100 and RX1 batteries that you can purchase separately. Pearstone is also working on a battery plate for their line of universal chargers. So, charging batteries in camera can be looked at as a convenience. Especially because you can use any micro USB cell phone charger in a pinch.

Thanks, it is good to know that there are options out there, even if they do cost you.

I do not regard in-camera charging as a benefit as if you are at an event with a camera like this you would probably need 3-4 batteries. Once one run outs, I would like to be able to recharge it immediately, something you cannot do if you still want to use the camera and move around.

Something like this imho should be a standard feature not an extra purchase.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2012, 12:14:27 AM »

Nishi Drew

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2012, 11:09:38 AM »

I'll wait for that...

ET

I had a Sony DSC-P30 in Ecuador, and upon return to Switzerland I bought a Sony DSC-F828 only to find out I needed some other memory cards (if I remember correctly) then I crashed it slipping out on ice under snow in early 2006 and that was it. Being amazed by the 20Ds IQ back then, I saved up for a 30D which I bought the next year. This August I got back to FF as I purchased the 5D3. Wouldn't go back to Sony again. For these same reasons as mentioned above. Not even because of better sensor tech. Canon will have to get this fixed, if they want to stay in the market. Maybe they are doing so already, while my 5D gently clicks ;-)

I'm sure Canon is working hard, I'm ready to be wowed by whatever next incarnation that 7DII or 70D will be. Since, we will surely not see any other FF camera next year, and even with my 5DII that I am every pleased with, I sometimes wish my second body were a nice crop camera.
Though at the same time, with the mirror-less cameras going strong, I don't see the point of DSLRs having cropped sensors, and now that the RX1 is out and about too... so again with Fuji, I'm waiting to see what that X200 turns out to be like!

HarryWintergreen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
There's no doubt the rx1 really shows Sony's determination to conquer the camera market. This is just a stopover to a ff camera without a fixed lens. And it's impressive to see the extremely positive reviews, especially when it comes to iq. Ken Rockwell's colour criticism to me seems rather ideosyncratic. My carry around setup is a 5 DII and the shorty forty. I mostly shoott in live view to avoid mirror slap effects. No doubt the rx1 would serve me extremely well. Let's hope for evolutionary dynamics. In this respect my first candidate is Fuji.

MARKOE PHOTOE

• EOS M2
  • Photography is a love affair with life.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.markoe.smugmug.com
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2012, 03:11:07 PM »
I've just rented the RX1 for 'testing' for the next two weeks.  I have a RX100 and the UI is pretty much the same.  The RX100 is a 1/5 of the cost of the RX1 and you've got a decent zoom range.  While the RX1 is really incredible I feel it is grossly overpriced for the moment.
Given there is little to compete against it now, I suspect competition will drive this price down significantly in the next year. 
The RX1 has a great feel, is very fast and solid.  A zoom range on this camera would be the only initial request I would ask at this point to send it to my wish list.
I'll try to post some images in the next few days from the RX1 and my RX100 for comparison.

As far as where this camera fits in my photographic life, it doesn't really replace my 5D3 and its a bit big for a P&S.  The RX100 is about the biggest P&S POCKETABLE camera I feel comfortable with.

More to follow later as I get time to shoot with the RX1.
A few cameras and lenses and a lot of creative energy and imagination.
"You never learn anything until you mess it up."

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 11:24:26 PM »
I've just rented the RX1 for 'testing' for the next two weeks.  I have a RX100 and the UI is pretty much the same.  The RX100 is a 1/5 of the cost of the RX1 and you've got a decent zoom range.  While the RX1 is really incredible I feel it is grossly overpriced for the moment.
Given there is little to compete against it now, I suspect competition will drive this price down significantly in the next year. 
The RX1 has a great feel, is very fast and solid.  A zoom range on this camera would be the only initial request I would ask at this point to send it to my wish list.
I'll try to post some images in the next few days from the RX1 and my RX100 for comparison.

As far as where this camera fits in my photographic life, it doesn't really replace my 5D3 and its a bit big for a P&S.  The RX100 is about the biggest P&S POCKETABLE camera I feel comfortable with.

More to follow later as I get time to shoot with the RX1.

MARKOE PHOTOE  - any news on this? Thanks. :-)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 11:24:26 PM »