October 23, 2014, 04:15:40 PM

Author Topic: What do you use to scan your 35mm negatives?  (Read 7791 times)

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
Re: What do you use to scan your 35mm negatives?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 05:38:50 PM »
For slides, I believe you can attach a Nikon slide copy attachment to a macro lens and photograph slides with your digital camera —
http://www.scantips.com/es-1b.html
Maybe the same or similar can be done for negatives?
no problems, only to invert the negative in for example PS

The one quirk that you have to watch out for is that most Slides have a clear base, most colour negatives (and some B+W negatives that use C41, eg BW400CN) have a yellowy-orange base.
When you scan a Slide, or take a photo with a macro lens on a slide-duplicator, it's just like taking a photo, the colours are the same.
But when you scan a Negative, the scanner will automatically adjust for that yellow-orange. Your camera won't.
The easiest way to calibrate is to take the same photo on Film and Digital, then 'scan' the film with your digital. Adjust the film shot so that the colours are the same, save the adjustments (or remember them), and henceforth use it for every film shot.
Or just shoot Slides, or buy a real scanner, much easier.
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 05:38:50 PM »

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 08:31:35 PM »
Everybody, thanks again for all the tips. Btw, I was wondering about the orange in the negatives.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 09:29:40 PM »
I use to use a Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400.

I actually got offered more for it used that I paid new, was a very good scanner with 40MP output, great dmax and manaul controls and useful software suite.

I ran it on mac osX.4 and there were problems getting it to work well with anything beyond that without different patches etc.

It was gathering dust and I wasn't shooting film so much, but if you can get hold of one, and like a cup of coffee when you scan (16bit tiff files with 3 pass ICE could take a while) it's a great scanner.  Reputed to work well on more recent OS's with Viewscan, though I would acutally run a PC with XP or a Mac with Panther to make the most of the Minolta software.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 09:37:32 PM »
I have to do this all the time and the Epson v700 is the best I've used. It even had an wet plate option for the best quality you can get this side of a drum scan.

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 10:25:15 PM »
Operating systems are a real pain.  My 9950F won't work on a windows 7 or 8 64bit - Canon has only released 32 bit divers.  Consequently, I've got an old Vista computer plugging away in the corner solely to run a scanner.  As soon as that computer dies, my perfectly good scanner becomes obsolete.  I've tried XP mode on Windows 7 and that doesn't work.  The joys of working with ancient technology like film and scanners.
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

dafrank

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • davidfranklinphoto.com
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 11:21:39 PM »
The Canon 9000 is a good flatbed scanner for slides and 35mm negs, one step under the Epson V-700 and V-750. It'll give great value for the money, but not the best you can do at home with a desktop scanner.

I use a Nikon Super Coolscan 9000 ED for 35mm and 120/220 film and an Epson Perfection V-750 for 4x5 and 8x10 transparencies and B&W negatives. They both do an excellent job fopr their formats. The Epson is not quite as good for the smaller formats as is the Nikon, but the Epson still does a wonderful job for a glass platen based consumer oriented flatbed scanner. I used to own a couple of very expensive drum scanners and used them to scan literally thousands and thousands of film images, and my experience has been that if you learn how to wring the last bit of quality from your film with these two scanners, you can produce digital files that are clearly just a fraction less accurate than with the drum scanners, especially so with the Nikon. If the Epson had a true and precise manual or auto focus feature, it would be even closer to the Nikon quality for smaller formats as well.

For some hard to pin down reason, I go back and forth with scanning software between VueScan, Nikon Scan and Silverfast, which I have installed on several computers with different enabling OS's, any which of one I can attach to and use the two scanners with. I tend to mostly use the Nikon Scan with the 9000 on an old 32bit Vista machine and VueScan on either that or one of my 64bit Win7 machines for the Epson. I never did warm up to Silverfast, despite its potentially deeper profiling options. So, I use it every once in a while to refresh my memory, but it doesn't seem to actually lead to a better scan than the other two, if I am careful and work with a well profiled monitor.

Well, that's what I use, if it helps.

Nikon stopped making their last two models, the 9000 (35mm and 120) and 5000 (35mm only) scannners, many years ago. Whether or not you can still pick up a good and clean Nikon 9000 or 8000 anymore at other than wildly exorbitant prices, I don't know. I've seen near new or "kind of new" 9000's go for as much as $5,000.00 or even more on Ebay and none (in decent condition) that go for less than about $2,000.00. The Epson V-750 and its slightly less expensive stablemate, the V-700 (the only differences are in the supplied accessories and better lenses in the 750) are still available, but who knows for how long? I'd try to buy one now, if I already didn't have one. As for getting a new Chinese slide scanner like the Plustek, or trying to snag a used Nikon 4000 or 5000, or a later model Minolta, it's a matter of the slightly better quality results of the used machines versus the convenience, warantee, modern software compatibility and the almost-as-good quality of the various Chinese models available today. The quality differences between them are mainly in the general precision of build, the whole lighting path, the optics and the electronics, with the stepper motors probably being about the same.

For a wild card, there's always the possibility of the getting one of the Hasselblad Flextight mock "drum scanners" (actually a very high quality CCD slide scanner, some of which take tranny's as big as 4x5) new for about $25,000.00 or more or taking a chance on a genuine good quality drum scanner. I'm not sure if any company any longer manufactures a real photomultiplier tube drum scanner, but if they do, it would cost a ridiculous amount of money and have gigantically expensive and hard to operate software limited to a very narrow choice of computer OS. A used one, being much cheaper, would be a better choice, but the same software incompatibility problems for those are much much worse, and the chance that the scanner is still in pristine condition is remote.

That's about it.

Regards,
David
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 11:27:51 PM by dafrank »
Outcomes are more important than intentions.
See my work at: http://www.davidfranklinphoto.com

paul13walnut5

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 05:11:20 AM »
@Mikael Risedal
I think you get more out from Vuescan than your old software

I can't directly compare.  If the Vuescan is even better than the Minolta software then great!

I looked into it at the time and I didn't get the impression that the ICE was quite so hot, or that Manual Focus was supported.  This may be incorrect as I am thinking back about 3 years now, and even if correct then the situation may have changed now.

It's all academic now, as I very rarely shoot film and no longer have the scanner.

If the OP wants a good 35mm scanner then I can certainly vouch for the Minolta.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 05:11:20 AM »

brianboru

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 09:22:32 AM »
One vote for the Plustek OptiFilm 7400.  I purchased mine a couple of months ago.  It shipped with SilverFast SE+ 6.6 but had a free upgrade to SilverFast SE+ 8.   I find the scratch and dust removal in SilverFast to be heavy handed and prefer to do that in Lr and Ps but the film profiles, Multiple Exposure and other technologies are nice.

The first shot is a scan from some 110 film from 1983, the other is a 100% crop from 35mm film circa 2000. (The lens was the not so great  EF 25-105 f3.5/4.5.)
7D, EOS M, S95, 40D, S40, 10S, ...
EF 70-200 f4.0 L, EF 17-40 f4.0 L, EF 40mm f2.8, EF 28-135,  Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX, ....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 09:22:32 AM »