October 26, 2014, 05:53:43 AM

Author Topic: UPGRADING 7D to FF Please help!!!  (Read 9217 times)

dvky

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
UPGRADING 7D to FF Please help!!!
« on: December 19, 2012, 06:03:15 PM »
Hello there,

I have originally purchased the 7D back in 2010 and now I feel like it's time to upgrade to a FF
because I feel limited buy the 7D performance.

Currently, there are three FF bodies that seems to be in my range. The 5d mk iii / 6d / 5d mk ii
However I would like some professional feedback from those who actually make income and works in
this industry.

Therefore coming from the 7D, it seems that I will personally have a dreadful time and
be unhappy with the autofocus system that the 6d and 5d mk ii offers. The reason I'm still debating whether or not to purchase the 5d mk iii is because I also want to invest on glass so it would be a plus if I could spend
more on that. Will the 5d mk iii autofocus system and iso capabilities alone be worth purchasing it over the other two models? Or will I be marginally satisfied by the image results compared to the 7d although compensating
the AF system of the 6d and 5d mk ii.

I'm trying to work in the industry of wedding and portrait photography mainly but on the side fashion and would
also like some professional opinion on lens choices. The new 24-70 seems to be without a doubt a great
decision to go with the 5d mk iii with the versatility of zoom range but I'm trying to go primes because I also
want to be more creative when and with limited zoom capabilities having to move and pre-visualize before a photoshoot. More leaning towards the 24 f/1.4L or 28 f/1.8 || 50f/1.4 || 85 f/1.8
I understand this may have been already discussed in another thread but from other professional photographers that I've talked with, seem to say that the 50 1.2 and 85 1.2 AF just isn't good and heavy for a long period of time and that they preferred the 1.8 even though it's what around 1.2 stops down.

The current glass that I have are EF-S 10-22 || EF-S 15-85 || 50 1.8 || EF 70-200 2.8 IS II
Would greatly appreciated for opinions and feedbacks.

Thanks in advance!  ;D

Cheers

canon rumors FORUM

UPGRADING 7D to FF Please help!!!
« on: December 19, 2012, 06:03:15 PM »

CharlieB

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: UPGRADING 7D to FF Please help!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 06:33:24 PM »
For weddings, don't get too hung up on equipment.

For years, I shot weddings with a Hasselblad, 60mm and 80mm lenses (like a 35 and a 50 in 35mm format).  One flash in a medium (18") camera mounted box.   Worked, worked well, hardly ever an issue.  Every so often I'd have to grab a 2x and shoot the 80mm at 160mm for a portrait session at a wedding.  Worked just fine.

The vast majority of wedding venues will work well with moderate wide to moderate tele - so, while I've not done it (yet), I would not feel at all undergunned with my 5DmkII and a 24-105L and a flash in a box <--- gotta have, its just perfect for wedding portraits.

For fashion... all bets off... you can go for any look or catchy angle that suits the attire, locale and models.  I've been at shoots where most of it was shot with a 300/2.8 and 200/2.8... and those were full head to toe shots.  Other times, you shoot close.  Outdoors a lot of times you fly a silk for lighting and a small flash set to barely fill.

Going with something in the medium range for lenses is probably best, because you can rent anything out of the ordinary.

I'd not feel bad using a 5DmkII for fashion or weddings, but... the 6D is probably better - can't say, have never seen one.  If you have the $$ go for the 5DmkIII, but really.. I'd rather put the money into lighting than camera bodies.

Badger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 06:54:54 PM »
It seems undisputed that if Wi-Fi and GPS aren't that important to you, and money is no object the 5DIII is probably the way to go. You won't be disappointed in the downgrade in the focusing system of the 6D. (which is just fine as far as I'm concerned). Yes, the 6D does better focusing in low lighting, but that doesn't mean the 5DIII is bad.
The only camera I might leave off the list is the 5DII. It would seem that both the 6D and 5DIII are upgrades to the II.
Canon 6D, EF 70-200 f/4 L USM, EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM, EF 35 f/2 IS USM, EF 50 f/1.8 II, EF 85 f/1.8 USM, 580EX

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 07:37:04 PM »
sell the EF-S glass
get the 5Dmk3 and a 16-35 mkII

this lens and the 70-200 you already have will do everything you need for a while and do it extremely well
plus you have the 50 1.8 which is still respectable from f2.2 and narrower

the progaramable DoF button to enable servo on the fly is just brilliant for any situation where you are switching from shooting stationary people to people suddenly moving. ie weddings.

down the track look at the sigma 85 f1.4 and the sigma 35 f1.4 (as soon as my local store has one i'm buying this) on the 5D bodies the sigma 85 is faster focusing than the canon 1.2

I would hold off on getting a 50mm just yet and wait and see what comes of the canon 50 f1.4 IS rumour
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 07:40:16 PM by wickidwombat »
APS-H Fanboy

nehemiah

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 07:50:42 PM »
I upgraded from the 7D to the 5D3 upon release of the 5D3 (paid the full $3499).  I still have the 7D as well.  I also have a mix of primes/zooms (100L macro, 85 1.8, 16-35L II, are my main lenses).

Since I was in almost the same boat you have, I think I can accurately diagnose your condition.  You have what I have. Dx:  Upgradeitis.

It works like this.  You have the 7D.  It's a wonderful camera.  It takes great photos.  But you see the posts where the full-frame has this out of this world image quality.  And think of the true wide angle shots you would be able to get.  And the ISO and low light performance.

Well the truth is . . . it's fun upgrading.  The 5D3 is a GREAT camera, and I love it.  However, if I were truly honest, I could have still done fine with the 7D.  It's also a great camera.  But upgradeitis is not curable.  I don't think you'll be able to not upgrade without continually wondering whether your shots could have been more fantastic with the 5D3.  So go ahead and do it and enjoy it and don't feel guilty.  It's ok, many of us do it.  And right now the price seems very good -- can't imagine it will go much lower for a long while.

Now, imagine the shots I could take with that 135 2L that's on sale for $900 . . .  They talk about that buttery bokeh . . .
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 07:55:43 PM by nehemiah »

CharlieB

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 08:23:27 PM »
I think I'm working in reverse....

I had the 5Dii first, then got a 7D.

Since then, the 7D has been the go-to camera for most occasions - which are social events (25-500 people). 

I like the built in flash on the 7D, and I don't mind it not being FF.

I still use the 5Dii, and find that the corrections to the PictureStyles are more drastic with the 5Dii than the 7D.  That is, the 7D might get two units of extra saturation, while the 5Dii gets only one (or none).

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 08:57:25 PM »

Since I was in almost the same boat you have, I think I can accurately diagnose your condition.  You have what I have. Dx:  Upgradeitis.

LOL ;D...highly infectious worldwide epidemic. I am in the early stages myself. Dreaming of one day upgrading to FF 5Dmk3 from 7D too. As an amateur I don't know why I need it but I just feel like I must :P
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 08:57:25 PM »

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 09:31:21 PM »

LOL ;D...highly infectious worldwide epidemic. I am in the early stages myself. Dreaming of one day upgrading to FF 5Dmk3 from 7D too. As an amateur I don't know why I need it but I just feel like I must :P
LOL!  ;D

I got hit by that bug this year in April.

The 5D3 is a great camera. I love it. Why don't you rent it for a while and decide.

Richard8971

• Canon 6D
  • "There is no spoon" - Neo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 10:03:47 PM »
I have both the 7D and the 5D2 and my 7 sees more action than my 5D2. They both have features that are better than the other but the speed of the 7 keeps me coming back, not to mention the great images it takes. 3 grand + for the 5D3 is hard to swallow.

I have friends who own the 7D, 5D2 and 5D3, and they are not convinced that the 5D3 is all that and a bag of chips. It's a wonderful camera and if someone was looking for a first-time purchase? Well, that's a hard one to choose, but if you already own a 7D I would suggest better glass. Good glass is going to take you farther than any camera body can, regardless of the camera body it's mounted to.

Like I said, I have L glass and I still find myself grabbing my 7 when I know I may have only one chance to get that perfect shot. It has never let me down, it's an awesome camera.

D
Canon 5D2, 7Dv2.03, 50D, 40D, T1i, XTi...XT (& lenses, flahses), various powershots... You get the idea... I have a problem. :)

Wife shoots Nikon, D7000, D7100, (lenses and flashes)... we constantly tease each other that our cameras are better than each others!

helpful

• EOS M2
  • Ecclesiastes 3:11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 10:35:47 PM »
I agree with those above who find the 7D more useful than the 5DII.

The 7D's only significant shortcoming is its crop sensor with 2009 technology inside.

Not unless you get a 5D3 or 1DX will you find a camera more capable of actually letting you take pictures than the 7D. So you will be very disappointed with anything less.

I have yet to try my 6D for full action sports, for instance basketball with a 70-200 II attached. Theoretically, maybe the middle point on the 6D might be able to do it. A lot of times I use four-point expansion on my 1Dx now, so maybe the extra big, extra sensitive point on the 6D will work "like" that, although I wouldn't say "similarly." I just have to wait until I get to something other than a big game, and I've only had big games in the past two weeks that I've had my 6D.

Back in 2010 I finally just sold my 5DII after using a 7D versus a 5DII for a couple of weddings and a few events, and even in those scenarios, I felt that the 5DII made it so much harder for me to take the photos, compared to the 7D, that it was worthless despite the extra image quality offered. So I would give that as my advice, that of all possible options, not to "upgrade" from the 7D to the 5DII. Camera-wise, the 7D is leagues ahead of the 5DII. I know there's a lot of people loving the 5DII, but if they had the experience with 7Ds that I have had, they would understand what I'm saying.

Maybe the 6D is a viable option, especially if you don't do sports. From my experience so far, the 6D is excellent for everything other than sports, and it's much more professional feeling and acting than the D600. Anything above ISO 1600 is also much better quality than the D600.

*** Update ***
Many things that I get paid for could be done in a pinch with a 5D3 and your existing 70-200 II and the new Sigma 35mm 1.4. Besides sports, the 6D would be very good as well. If you are willing to part with your EF-S lenses, maybe you could get the 6D and the 35mm 1.4. You could be an outstanding professional in many areas with a 6D, 35mm 1.4 Sigma, and 70-200 II Canon combo.

For a cheap assignment today, that was all I used, in fact--my 6D with the 35mm and my 5D3 with the 70-200mm II. There were moments I wished my 70-200mm would have been a 135mm f/2, but I survived and got photos everyone will be happy with. There was never a moment I would have found any use the 10-22 or 15-85, nor is there in almost all situations.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:45:23 PM by helpful »
5DIII, 5DII, 7D x5, 6D, T2i, T3, 1D X, 10-22mm, 16-35mm II, 18-55mm II, 18-135mm IS x2, 70-200mm f/2.8L II, 24mm f/1.4L II, 50mm f/1.4, 50mm 1/1.8 II x2, 85mm f/1.8 x2, 100mm f/2 x2, 135mm f/2L x2, 200mm f/2.8L II x2, 1.4X III, 2.0X II, 60mm f/2.8 Macro, etc. only had room to list a few Canon items

dvky

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 10:39:02 PM »
Woah! Thank you all for the wonderful feedback and personal opinions.

It has always been my priority to upgrade lenses before the body but I truly feel that the 7D images
are very usable and I love the camera for various reasons but the time has come to get the bigger brother.

And as for glass, I would of course enjoy the L glasses, however I still have to justify and have sufficient
income in order to purchase them. Unfortunately, I have moved to Brazil and the lens renting community here just blows compared to the US and Canada, therefore, haven't had the best chance to try out new gears and electronics in general. Tax here is just absurd and makes me want to puke.

All in all, I'm very convinced switching to the 5d mk iii and start up with some basic primes.

I'd not feel bad using a 5DmkII for fashion or weddings, but... the 6D is probably better - can't say, have never seen one.  If you have the $$ go for the 5DmkIII, but really.. I'd rather put the money into lighting than camera bodies.

I currently own the 580EX and not very comfortable or well acquainted with flash per say, but does the 600EX make a heck of a difference compared to it's predecessor?

Thank you all once again!
Cheers

phixional ninja

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 12:31:04 AM »
All in all, I'm very convinced switching to the 5d mk iii and start up with some basic primes.

I wanted to wait to chime in, since I'm not a professional, but I pulled the trigger on upgrading from the 7D to the 5D3 yesterday, and couldn't be happier.

I passed over the 5D2 and 6D because I had concerns about their respective autofocus flexibilities compared to the 7D, and while I'm sure I could have used either to get some great shots, after being so used to the 7D AF, the AF on the 5D3 just feels right, it feels like home.

A home that has gotten a large expansion to the kitchen and a new porch, that is.
flickr  EOS 5D Mk III, EOS 7D (until I sell it), 24-105mm f4L IS, 40mm f2.8 pancake, 50mm f1.4, 100mm f2.8L IS macro, 135mm f2L, 70-200 f4L (possibly soon to be upgraded to IS, or 70-300L)

FatDaddyJones

• Rebel T5i
  • Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 12:52:44 AM »
I've seen awesome photographs that were shot with an iPhone. I've seen crap from cameras and lenses
that cost thousands upon thousands of dollars. If you can't take good shots with your 7D, your pictures
won't look much better on the 5D3. There is no such thing as a professional camera. There are professional
photographers. The equipment you have doesn't make you professional. It can only expand or limit your
creativity. Blah, blah, blah... we've heard that a thousand times.

I shoot with a 7D. I caught that bug that's going around too. I just bought a 5D3 that is supposed to arrive
tomorrow. :) I was going to sell the 7D and my EF-S lenses, but after second thought... it's just too good a camera
to get rid of. Plus, I won't have to miss my long lenses being 1.6x longer.

Let me help you out.... DO IT! Order one now! You won't be sorry. You'll be happy you did. There's this big, black, shiny,
round button on the 5D3 that osmotically transforms the shooter into a full frame photographer. It's like magic. Yup, I'm
the little red guy sitting on your shoulder. The little guy with the white robe and halo... he's over there shooting with a
5D3 already.
5D Mark III, 7D, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 70-300mm IS USM, EF-S 17-55mm IS USM, Redrock shoulder rig, matte box & follow focus, Rode Videomic, Zoom R16, Sure PG42, DSTE Pro BG-E11, Excella Neo D400 Studio Strobes, Excella Stardust 50, 580 EX II, lots of other fun stu

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 12:52:44 AM »

JPAZ

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 12:53:46 AM »

There is only one definitive cure for this disease, radical surgery.  If you can afford it, cut out all remnants of the crop sensor and transplant a 5diii.  The prices have dropped.  Otherwise, you'll never be in remission.
 ;) ;)
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

M.ST

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 01:24:34 AM »
If you are in fashion and weddings buy the 5D Mark III with the new EF 24-70 f/2.8 II L lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 01:24:34 AM »