September 17, 2014, 06:07:57 PM

Author Topic: UPGRADING 7D to FF Please help!!!  (Read 9014 times)

canon rumors FORUM

Re: UPGRADING 7D to FF Please help!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 01:50:54 AM »

roadrunner

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 01:54:25 AM »
Woah! Thank you all for the wonderful feedback and personal opinions.

It has always been my priority to upgrade lenses before the body but I truly feel that the 7D images
are very usable and I love the camera for various reasons but the time has come to get the bigger brother.

And as for glass, I would of course enjoy the L glasses, however I still have to justify and have sufficient
income in order to purchase them. Unfortunately, I have moved to Brazil and the lens renting community here just blows compared to the US and Canada, therefore, haven't had the best chance to try out new gears and electronics in general. Tax here is just absurd and makes me want to puke.

All in all, I'm very convinced switching to the 5d mk iii and start up with some basic primes.

I'd not feel bad using a 5DmkII for fashion or weddings, but... the 6D is probably better - can't say, have never seen one.  If you have the $$ go for the 5DmkIII, but really.. I'd rather put the money into lighting than camera bodies.

I currently own the 580EX and not very comfortable or well acquainted with flash per say, but does the 600EX make a heck of a difference compared to it's predecessor?

Thank you all once again!
Cheers

I was in the same boat as you. Went from a 7D to a 5DIII. I've rented the 5DII and 5DIII several times before making my purchase. The 7D is such an amazing camera, with it's only drawback being the sensor, that I knew anything less than the 5DIII would feel like a downgrade. I feel like you may regret your decision if you buy anything less. Then again, I don't know if you are keeping or selling your 7D (I kept mine).

As for the 600RT, it depends on what your goal is. If you know you will be using wireless off camera flash, then it may make sense to get the radio flash. I don't have any experience with it though, as I used my 580 EX IIs and 2 430EX IIs with pocketwizard flex TT5s, and that's a fairly expensive and sometime finicky setup. So it really just depends on how you want to use your flash.

(PS. Wireless off camera flash is the way to go. Just sayin'. Once you start seeing how great your lighting can look with modifiers and the freedom to move your flash wherever you want without tripping over cords, you will soon have a case of lighting equipment upgraditis as well)

MichaelTheMaven

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Michael The Maven
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 02:18:08 AM »
It seems undisputed that if Wi-Fi and GPS aren't that important to you, and money is no object the 5DIII is probably the way to go. You won't be disappointed in the downgrade in the focusing system of the 6D. (which is just fine as far as I'm concerned). Yes, the 6D does better focusing in low lighting, but that doesn't mean the 5DIII is bad.
The only camera I might leave off the list is the 5DII. It would seem that both the 6D and 5DIII are upgrades to the II.

+1

ghstark

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 04:03:18 AM »
The 5Dmk3 is the way to go for Weddings and any paying job.I have both the mk2 & mk3 Image quality they are the same in my eyes but as a working Wedding Photographer Myself the twin memory Slots is very important instant backup and for Weddings this is now a must.I had a card fail lucky for me it had 7 shots on it only so i can't say enough how important the twin card CF/SD is. After you have a card fail that brings that home big style..Also the mk3 is nicer camera to use feels better in the hand imo.

BrandonKing96

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 04:25:08 AM »
Don't forget that your 10-22 and 15-85 become useless on full frame.  I suggest selling them and selling your 7D, then purchasing a 5D mark III And some glass for replacement. 

You can get a decent quality mark I 24-70 f/2.8 for under $1500 and if you can't afford a 16-35 f/2.8, perhaps a 17-40 would do until you make the money up for a 16/35. 

sometimes upgrading can seem complicated. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible myself, but I spend more money doing so (over a long span of time). 

I suppose the best you can do is play around with lenses on your 7D for a bit, and then if you feel the need to actually upgrade to a 5D 3/2 or 6D, just play around with those.  It's also about what you're comfortable with.
Canon 5D Mark III and Canon 60D; EF-S 10-22; EF 70-200 f/4L IS; EF 24-70 f/2.8L II; 580EX II.  Soon to add: 50 1.2L, 135 f/2L, 8-15L

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 09:56:56 AM »
If you love the 7D, you'll hate the 5D2 or the 6D. Save the cash and get the mk3. It won't limit you later on.

dvky

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 01:48:12 PM »
in what way do you feel limited?

With the 7D I felt limited with the final image quality especially having to take most of the pictures late afternoon and continuing until night with no natural light.
Having seen the 7D prints and 5d mk iii prints, the 7D sure falls behind. Not that it's not usable, but I would like to deliver a better final product for the client.
Don't get me wrong, I love my 7D, it's fast burst and that extra reach is amazing but all I want to see is the FF capabilities and advantages over the crop sensor.

In the meantime, I don't think I'll be able to sell my EF-S glasses or the 7D due to my current location BUT I would still like to keep my 7D as my backup camera. 

As for the 600RT, it depends on what your goal is. If you know you will be using wireless off camera flash, then it may make sense to get the radio flash. I don't have any experience with it though, as I used my 580 EX IIs and 2 430EX IIs with pocketwizard flex TT5s, and that's a fairly expensive and sometime finicky setup. So it really just depends on how you want to use your flash.

(PS. Wireless off camera flash is the way to go. Just sayin'. Once you start seeing how great your lighting can look with modifiers and the freedom to move your flash wherever you want without tripping over cords, you will soon have a case of lighting equipment upgraditis as well)

Thanks for your feedback, I guess I'll have to do more experimenting with flash and then see how it goes.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 01:48:12 PM »

iaind

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 03:09:49 PM »
I already have a 5d2 and tried out both 6d and 5d3.
6d felt small 6xx size but performed well considering specs. 5d3 outshone it . Unless you need wifi or gps go for 5d3.  I am awaiting arrival of mine c/w grip and 600rt.

5DIII + BGE11 / 5DII + BGE6 / 40D + BGE2N /8-15 4L / 17-35 2.8L / 24 3.5L TS-E /24-70 2.8II L / 24-105 4L IS /Zuiko 50 1.4/ 100 2.8L Macro IS / 70-200 2.8L / 300 4L / 100-400L

dvky

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 03:36:54 PM »
I already have a 5d2 and tried out both 6d and 5d3.
6d felt small 6xx size but performed well considering specs. 5d3 outshone it . Unless you need wifi or gps go for 5d3.  I am awaiting arrival of mine c/w grip and 600rt.

yeah WIFI and GPS aren't a game breaker for me. would be nice with it but can live without it and prefer the idea of dual card slots and being able to back up.

Thanks!

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 04:57:22 PM »
I just pulled the trigger and purchased a 6D from Adorama.  I also own a 7D and was looking for a FF upgrade, primarily for landscape and family shots around the house.

I was leaning toward a 5D3, but tried out both cameras at a local store and preferred the 6D's size and price.  Since I plan to keep the 7D for sports and wildlife photography, fast shutter speed and lots of AF points are not high on my priority list.  I actually perfer the simplified AF system on the 6D since i normally focus with the center point, lock and recompose my shots anyway.  The remote control possibilities with a phone or iPad via wifi are a nice feature also.  The money I saved with the 6D can be applied toward my next lens or accessory purchase.

Your decision may be different if you weigh the two cameras features differently.  For me, the 6D is a really good fit.
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M (22/2 and 18-55)
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Extenders: EF 1.4xIII, EF 2xIII ; Flash: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2012, 03:41:00 AM »
in what way do you feel limited?

With the 7D I felt limited with the final image quality especially having to take most of the pictures late afternoon and continuing until night with no natural light.
Having seen the 7D prints and 5d mk iii prints, the 7D sure falls behind. Not that it's not usable, but I would like to deliver a better final product for the client.
Don't get me wrong, I love my 7D, it's fast burst and that extra reach is amazing but all I want to see is the FF capabilities and advantages over the crop sensor.

In the meantime, I don't think I'll be able to sell my EF-S glasses or the 7D due to my current location BUT I would still like to keep my 7D as my backup camera. 

so you are looking for iso performance, ff or crop is really irrelevant.

dsporter

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2012, 03:40:14 PM »
I upgraded from the 7D to the 5D3 upon release of the 5D3 (paid the full $3499).  I still have the 7D as well.  I also have a mix of primes/zooms (100L macro, 85 1.8, 16-35L II, are my main lenses).

Since I was in almost the same boat you have, I think I can accurately diagnose your condition.  You have what I have. Dx:  Upgradeitis.

It works like this.  You have the 7D.  It's a wonderful camera.  It takes great photos.  But you see the posts where the full-frame has this out of this world image quality.  And think of the true wide angle shots you would be able to get.  And the ISO and low light performance.

Well the truth is . . . it's fun upgrading.  The 5D3 is a GREAT camera, and I love it.  However, if I were truly honest, I could have still done fine with the 7D.  It's also a great camera.  But upgradeitis is not curable.  I don't think you'll be able to not upgrade without continually wondering whether your shots could have been more fantastic with the 5D3.  So go ahead and do it and enjoy it and don't feel guilty.  It's ok, many of us do it.  And right now the price seems very good -- can't imagine it will go much lower for a long while.

Now, imagine the shots I could take with that 135 2L that's on sale for $900 . . .  They talk about that buttery bokeh . . .

This is perhaps one of the greatest posts I've ever read in a forum. I'd like to share it with my wife so she'll understand my addiction to upgrading camera gear. I envy those photographers that hang on to their cameras until it quits on them...that's something I can't do.

I recently went from the 60D to the 6D and wasn't very happy with the AF being able to keep up with my kids. I tried fiddling with all the various settings and wasn't content with the results. I lost sleep over the thought of exchanging it for the 5D Mark III because of the difference in costs. I debated about waiting until the next 7D arrives or just picking up a 7D since they're so cheep now. Finally, after reading this thread I went back and got the Mark III. I could not be happier with the decision. The best part was I forgot about some gift certificates I had and was able to get the Mark III for only $2795. That was awesome. :)

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2012, 05:25:13 PM »
Equipment Acquisition Syndrome is a mental and a fiscal condition.  If you're satisfied with the results
of the 7D and money's burning a hole in your pocket - buy glass.  Full frame and crop frame really don't make a difference until you're printing 30X40 or bigger.  I'd buy the 135F2L if I really had to
blow a thousand bucks, or the older 100 f2.8 macro and save the difference.  The 24L might help or
the 35L if you want to go another $1500 or so - or for the price of both of them you could get your
5DIII - or either one of them an a backup 7D body - or wait a month or so and see what the 7DII
brings to the market.  Nice thing about digital photography - the longer you wait the better your choices at any given dollar point.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2012, 05:25:13 PM »

FatDaddyJones

• Rebel T5i
  • Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2013, 01:25:20 AM »
so you are looking for iso performance, ff or crop is really irrelevant.

Sure it's relevant. A full frame body is going to deliver better ISO performance than a crop, if you're comparing the bodies that he's looking at (6D and 5D3 vs 7D). It's this low light capability that convinced me to get the 5D Mark III, and not necessarily "upgrade" but add it to my kit alongside the 7D. Both are great camera and have their own respective uses. They're great together.
5D Mark III, 7D, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 70-300mm IS USM, EF-S 17-55mm IS USM, Redrock shoulder rig, matte box & follow focus, Rode Videomic, Zoom R16, Sure PG42, DSTE Pro BG-E11, Excella Neo D400 Studio Strobes, Excella Stardust 50, 580 EX II, lots of other fun stu

nickorando

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2013, 05:39:19 AM »
If you love the 7D, you'll hate the 5D2 or the 6D.

Really? Remember what the OP wants the camera for:

"I'm trying to work in the industry of wedding and portrait photography mainly but on the side fashion"

The 5D II has been very successful in these areas, far more so than the 7D, and the 6D has the added strength of low-light AF that actually works - maybe even better than the Mk III. I love my 7D, but I love both the Mk II and the 6D a lot more!

Save the cash and get the mk3. It won't limit you later on.

I wouldn't necessarily argue against that, though.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2013, 05:39:19 AM »