July 31, 2014, 11:20:30 PM

Author Topic: right now i am not happy to be a canon user  (Read 12624 times)

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: right now i am not happy to be a canon user
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2012, 01:42:59 PM »
Sounds like the OP needs a holiday - New York City is quite nice, and I'm sure you can get a 6D/5DIII locally.

I'm almost tempted to say that a trip to LA to have the USA service center in Hollywood take a peak at your 5DIII issues.

Seriously, I'm from Germany too, and I've recenly checked flight prices to NY, to get me some new gear  :)

Oh stop whining my german friends and just invade the UK... it may just work this time and it is closer! (Is 65 years too soon?) :D
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 01:45:22 PM by Ray2021 »
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2012, 01:42:59 PM »

ScottyP

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2012, 02:12:08 PM »
Sigh.  You really reap the whirlwind when you dare express UNhappiness about Mother Canon on this site. 

Always the same gems too:  "Expressing unhappiness does no good, blah, blah.  You are getting me and other Canon users stirred up blah, blah.  The equipment is irrelevant because a great photog like me can get awesome shots on a $2 camera blah, blah.  So just bite me, and sell all your gear at a loss and then buy it all back in Nikon/Sony, blah blah.  Ansel Adams blah, blah."

I wonder why no one complains about the futility of expressing HAPPINESS with a Canon product, which surely must be of equally low practical effect?
No one ever prefaces a gushing rave about their beloved new camera or lens with wisdom like: "Though the equipment is meaningless, here is a shot I just took with my new blah, blah."

Negative posts do not bother me.  I kind of like them, or at least the idea that they are possible and acceptable.  What would bother me is if this site (or any site) is expected to be a propaganda organ like a North Korean newspaper, where no praise is too effusive, and no criticism will be tolerated. 

Everyone needs to lighten up.  No one is slamming anyone's mother or sniggering at anyone's manhood by saying they are ticked off by something Canon did.  But I guess it is 2 sides of the same coin, isn't it?  People on both sides who have invested heavily in a camera system naturally react emotionally one direction or the other.  If you are heavily invested and start thinking Canon is trailing the competition and/or raising prices, you are ticked and want to say so.  Conversely, if you are heavily invested and some ticked-off guy starts saying so, you are unhappy to have to think about how he could have a point about the quality of your equipment and the wisdom of your investment.
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2012, 02:13:08 PM »
Canon is just more expensive, cant help it. Or you could get a Nikon as 2nd body. Best of both worlds.

well the gap is widening quite a lot in 2012.  :-[

Just get a Nikon as 2nd body. Plus u can use Nikon lenses on your Canon camera too with a cheap adapter :D
Or just get 5d mark 2 as 2nd body. Its not a bad camera at all and fits in ur price range i think.

TriGGy

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2012, 02:24:17 PM »
Canon delights me always  8)

Zlatko

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2012, 02:29:38 PM »
Canon offers twelve EOS cameras in their current product line, and the used market has numerous past models, full frame and crop.  The price range is extremely broad, so there is something for almost every budget and photographic purpose.  And people still find something to be unhappy about.

TAF

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2012, 02:31:12 PM »
and...I would understand if your pay for a camera which works flawlessly. Unfortunately I bought my in May, and so far, several European service actions hasn't fixes mine. Service in Germany even completely blocked one of my ,almost new, L lens. No one is willing to exchange the camera for a new one. I own 5 lenses (4 Ls) and that's why I  cannot be happy with Canon. Paid really a lot for the brand new, faulty body, without good working AF, so I feel like I just waste my money right now. I completely agree that Canon is too expensive relatively, but mine was the most expensive camera I had ever bought. I wanted to buy some new lens next year but I just cant. Trust me-that is a real reason to be unhappy with Canon, the will just left you with faulty body if you are unlucky. The issue and the whole case is not only my problem as there are also 3  other professional photographers on the local most known Canon forum, who have the same problem with Canon. We have been just completely left with faulty gear.  So my advice is double or triple check otherwise service will not help you in some cases.

When you say you are left with faulty gear, do you mean 1) it does not work as advertised and Canon won't fix it, or 2) that it does not work the way you want it to (but does work exactly the way it is designed)?

If the former (1), you have legal recourse available to you.  Contact your government trade commission and ask them how to file a complaint.  I seriously doubt that Canon repair really is leaving you high and dry - I want to hear the rest of the story.

If the later (2), then there is really nothing to be done, other than to either wait until Canon makes one works the way you want, see if Magic Lantern does what you want, or change to a different brand that may (or may not) work the way you want.

tortilla

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2012, 03:58:31 PM »
Canon offers twelve EOS cameras in their current product line, and the used market has numerous past models, full frame and crop.  The price range is extremely broad, so there is something for almost every budget and photographic purpose.  And people still find something to be unhappy about.

Yes you can get the Rebel T3/1100D for 300 euro, that's propably within the OP's budget, but I understand he's looking for a FF body.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 04:00:19 PM by tortilla »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2012, 03:58:31 PM »

Zlatko

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2012, 04:17:01 PM »
Canon keeps lowering prices ...
- 5DIII is 15% less than when it was introduced
- 5DII is 40% less than when it was introduced
- 7D is 28% less than when it was introduced
- 60D is 30% less than when it was introduced
... but does anyone acknowledge or give them credit for that?  A manufacturer can't win no matter what they do.  If prices go down, people take it as proof that they were overpriced in the first place, and complain about the loss of resale value.  If prices go up, people blame them for starting to overprice.  And if prices stay the same, people complain that prices don't go down.

wD_Boston

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2012, 04:35:32 PM »
OP hasn't been seen since neuro's post though I did hear some sirens earlier...

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2012, 04:55:58 PM »
ScottyP: excellent comment. The OP is not whining because canon failed to make his ideal camera for $19.95. He is frustrated because a product he purchased is, in his view, not performing properly and has not received satisfaction from the manufacturer.

Yes it may be futile to complain here, but that's no reason to flame him.

However my reaction was that the post might be be better titled: not happy being in Germany, since the problems seem partly caused by his location. Add in the fact that his tax dollars are being used to bail out the rest of Europe and I can understand the frustration .
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Martin

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2012, 05:44:03 PM »
and...I would understand if your pay for a camera which works flawlessly. Unfortunately I bought my in May, and so far, several European service actions hasn't fixes mine. Service in Germany even completely blocked one of my ,almost new, L lens. No one is willing to exchange the camera for a new one. I own 5 lenses (4 Ls) and that's why I  cannot be happy with Canon. Paid really a lot for the brand new, faulty body, without good working AF, so I feel like I just waste my money right now. I completely agree that Canon is too expensive relatively, but mine was the most expensive camera I had ever bought. I wanted to buy some new lens next year but I just cant. Trust me-that is a real reason to be unhappy with Canon, the will just left you with faulty body if you are unlucky. The issue and the whole case is not only my problem as there are also 3  other professional photographers on the local most known Canon forum, who have the same problem with Canon. We have been just completely left with faulty gear.  So my advice is double or triple check otherwise service will not help you in some cases.

When you say you are left with faulty gear, do you mean 1) it does not work as advertised and Canon won't fix it, or 2) that it does not work the way you want it to (but does work exactly the way it is designed)?

If the former (1), you have legal recourse available to you.  Contact your government trade commission and ask them how to file a complaint.  I seriously doubt that Canon repair really is leaving you high and dry - I want to hear the rest of the story.

If the later (2), then there is really nothing to be done, other than to either wait until Canon makes one works the way you want, see if Magic Lantern does what you want, or change to a different brand that may (or may not) work the way you want.

hey I am normal customer and photographer not a psycho, it obviously option no 1.

ad 1/ Do you think that 5d3 is designed to not achieving focus precisely? NO, and I think the same. Please have the full story (sry 4 my english-it not my mother tongue):

Bought 5d3 in May with 50 1.4 and 35L. I already own 24-70L, 70-200 L II IS, 135L, 85 1.8. The camera was faulty from the beginning. The focus points were completely misaligned. Took it to store, they advised to sent the camera to service in order to calibrate it with all lens. I was completely sure that that is not a issue with calibration but also with misaligment, therefore I made a detailed description. The body with lens was sent 2 times there and nothing was done besides standards calibration which obviously did not aligned AF sensors properly and did not adjust properly all lens. Sent it for the 3rd time and push them to exchange the camera. They did not exchange the camera but they exchanged the mirror box. It solve the misalignment issue but the lens was still not calibrated. After that 24-70 had problem with longer distance, 50mm was backfocusing for short distance. I also ask them to check a brand new 35L as I was sure it is soft so they should exchange it or fixed. They once more tried to calibrate all gear. After that 50 1.4 was still backfocusing at short distance, 135L started to miss at longer distance and 35L was still soft (nothing to do with calibration). They also stated that they checked 35L and it is fine. I was really frustrated with everything as  it took 3,5 months and I still did not have a flawless body which I paid for. I took 35L for testing and you know what? A look inside and the glass inside was  broken a bit, and it was for sure made during production. The lens was still just soft. So I was sure the service did not checked it seriously. I came back to store and bag them to exchange the lens, and they decided they will. The second glass was sharp! Besides that I still had focusing problems with body and other lens. First of all I checked once more the 50 and sent the test photos to service-they stated that it was calibrated correctly even if a show them bacfocused results(with lenscal). I though that maybe this is a lens issue so I sold 50 and tried 4 other 50mm samples from store to test at home. All were back focusing on short distance ( ca. 1m) . I did not buy any. So I thought it is camera issue. Next I decided to try other service so I bring the gear to Germany. They stated that the body is OK but some lens need calibration (already calibrated in my country). After that service activity my 135L  is completely blocked (aparture) and I have err 01 (lens was rarely used). Also I found that I my 35L is not focusing properly with right side focus points (front focus on right sensors) so the second copy is faulty or maybe that's a camera issue once more (but german service did nothing with this lens) Other lens, which now works acceptable like 24-70 focus properly on side AF points.  A. Trust me Canon service did nothing to REALLY solve the issue, and to satisfy me as a customer. They did what they know or pretend to but it does not solve the real problem. I know what 5d3 is capable of but mine is not. Its end of 2012 right now, and camera was purchased in May. Do u think I should be happy? I paid a lot for something that has't got its full value and I am left with the problem. That's the full story.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 05:49:50 PM by Martin »
5D3, 35L, 85 1.8, 135L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS II, 580 EX II.

cliffwang

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2012, 06:36:09 PM »
If you are not really happy with Canon, you can switch to Nikon.  Nowadays Sigma makes some good prime lenses and Tamron makes some good zoom lenses in good prices.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

ChilledXpress

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2012, 07:17:31 PM »
ScottyP: excellent comment. The OP is not whining because canon failed to make his ideal camera for $19.95. He is frustrated because a product he purchased is, in his view, not performing properly and has not received satisfaction from the manufacturer.

Yes it may be futile to complain here, but that's no reason to flame him.

However my reaction was that the post might be be better titled: not happy being in Germany, since the problems seem partly caused by his location. Add in the fact that his tax dollars are being used to bail out the rest of Europe and I can understand the frustration .

Here is the OP initial post...
i want a second FF camera as backup body for some time.

i checked lowest prices on the internet the last two days.
and i must say im not happy to be a canon user at the moment.

why?

because i think canon gear is way overprized.
well that´s nothing new but right now it hurts me.

i can get a D800 for 2289 euro from a big and reputed reseller here in germany (from some smaller shops it´s as low as 2150 euro).

for the 6D i have to pay around 2000 euro and the 5D MK3 cost around 2800 euro.

especially the 6D is way to expensive compared to both the D600 and D800 (the D600 cost around 1599).

i don´t even get a new 5D MK2 for 1599 euro.

canon must be a happy company to be able to sell the cameras, even at these prices, to it´s loyal customers.

i am dreaming when i expect huge price drops in the coming months?

im very curious to see sales numbers for both nikon and canon from the 4 quartal 2012.
the D600 looks like a steal.

The OP original thread was one of cost... not of a problem with a camera. Someone else commented with problems with their camera.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 07:45:25 PM by ChilledXpress »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2012, 07:17:31 PM »

Martin

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2012, 07:35:56 PM »
look at the topic
5D3, 35L, 85 1.8, 135L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS II, 580 EX II.

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2012, 09:35:24 PM »
SWITCH.
I did.
I wanted a body that wasn't 3000 dollars that had an awesome AF. Canon didn't offer this product.
I bought a used D700 for $1500 bucks and a used 24-70 for $1400 bucks(this was 3 months ago), and I couldn't be happier.
The image quality of this setup is significantly better than my 5D Classic and 24-105, and the AF has upped my keeper rate from around 35% to around 75%.
I was worried I wouldn't like the image quality or feel of Nikon, but I actually love it.
At this point, you can buy a refurb D800 for $2300 from Adorama with a 1 year warranty.
For me, the answer was simple, and switching turned out to be easier than I thought.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2012, 09:35:24 PM »