Gear Talk > Software & Accessories

For those using Lightroom... what are your settings

(1/9) > >>

Pinchers of Peril:
First off, I realize this question is very general and there are many variables to it, but I was just looking for some general information.  I currently shoot with a 5DIII and shoot in RAW then do all my post processing in Lightroom 4.  My basic question is what parameters are you usually changing on your photos in lightroom.  Specifically what are you usually doing with saturation and vibrance?  I know this will vary tremendously depending on lighting and the subject shot, but I was just curious what most of you do for the average picture.  I almost always have to mess with whitebalance and then usually up the saturation and vibrance about +5-+10.  Sometimes I find myself oversaturating my pictures if I'm not careful and then I make a good shot look bad.  Also what are you guys usually doing for contrast settings?  Thanks

Renzokuken:
Lightroom renders Canon raw files very differently from how DPP does.

I always find myself messing with the Saturation and hue, and vibrance as well

To minimize the different between Lightroom and DPP outputs, they actually created a "Camera Calibration" module. Just got to develop and scroll all the way down, "Camera Standard" tries to emulate the Standard Picture Style Jpeg output of the DPP, so try messing around with that as well.

I always find "adobe standard" making photos slightly pinkish and dull

hope this helps

kbmelb:
It depends on the shot and what my intensions are but I usually adjust my saturations by color not globally. I usually bump the contrast slightly, contrary to popular belief, the 5D3 has a fair bit of DR so I like to throw a bit of it out (not always). I like to use the Clarity slider modestly to help with contrast also.

Pinchers of Peril:

--- Quote from: Renzokuken on December 20, 2012, 11:24:25 AM ---Lightroom renders Canon raw files very differently from how DPP does.

I always find myself messing with the Saturation and hue, and vibrance as well

To minimize the different between Lightroom and DPP outputs, they actually created a "Camera Calibration" module. Just got to develop and scroll all the way down, "Camera Standard" tries to emulate the Standard Picture Style Jpeg output of the DPP, so try messing around with that as well.

I always find "adobe standard" making photos slightly pinkish and dull

hope this helps

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the quick response.  I will definitely try the "Camera Standard" module to see how that looks.  Yeah I've noticed the RAW files look very different if I open them in DPP.  Usually I like the way DPP renders them better than lightroom does before I mess around with anything.  I just wish DPP had localized brush adjustments then I would prob use that instead of lightroom.

jhaces:

--- Quote from: Pinchers of Peril on December 20, 2012, 10:59:54 AM --- I almost always have to mess with whitebalance and then usually up the saturation and vibrance about +5-+10.  Sometimes I find myself oversaturating my pictures if I'm not careful and then I make a good shot look bad.  Also what are you guys usually doing for contrast settings?  Thanks

--- End quote ---

The WB dropper is always a good starting point, then fine-tune as needed.
Work your way from the top from the options.   Contrast is usually + around 20. Setting whites+/blacks-/shades-/highlights+ is important.

I usually go +vibrance (around 20) and -saturation (around 10, yeah, minus.) and clarity is important (please don't over-do it! pet peeve of mine) around 20.    These settings of course vary WILDLY from picture to picture, but basically the + and - stay the same (that is, I mostly +whites, -shades, etc. )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version