Gear Talk > EOS Bodies - For Video

New to video...advice needed

<< < (5/5)

cayenne:

--- Quote from: Axilrod on December 26, 2012, 01:29:15 PM ---+1 on stabilization, stable video is one of the things that separates pros from amateurs (lighting and sound are also critical).  You don't have to go out and spend $3k on a rig, but I wouldn't count on shooting handheld and being happy with the results.  Also, the LCD screen on the back can be deceiving, I can't tell you how many times I've seen people think they "got the shot" and then they open it up on the computer and it looks like hell.

--- End quote ---

LOL...that's why I tend to get no less than 3-5 takes on most every shot that it is possible to do so....

Shoot...stop, review..shoot again....etc. To make sure I have plenty to work with not only with framing, but also with performance....never exactly the same twice, at least when "I" am on camera.

;)

cayenne

Don Haines:

--- Quote from: Videoshooter on December 27, 2012, 09:22:56 AM ---Oh, one more thing...

Remember that you can only shoot video in landscape orientation!  :)

Sometimes I worry that, with the technology becoming available to the masses and the massive amount of convergence happening within the industry, My services as a videographer will soon become redundant. Then I'll see a tourist shooting video with their camera sideways, and I realise that everything is going to be fine!

--- End quote ---

I shot a portrait oriented video of my neighbour cutting down a tree.... The ground was covered in snow and the clouds were thick and close to the same color as the ground. It's really great to see the tree stand up after cutting!

eyeland:

--- Quote from: Videoshooter on December 27, 2012, 09:22:56 AM ---Then I'll see a tourist shooting video with their camera sideways, and I realise that everything is going to be fine!

--- End quote ---
LOL

--- Quote from: Axilrod on December 20, 2012, 12:48:04 PM ---Use ISO's in multiples of 160 when possible

--- End quote ---
I seem to remember something about this NOT being a fully reliable rule of thumb?
Anyways, Consider getting a picturestyle profile for video as well. When/If you get into more serious PP, you can benefit greatly from shooting with a flat profile (such as the CineStyle). Others (like the Marvell profile) are less flat and give a more pleasing result out-of-camera while still retaining  some room for grading. It can be a little discouraging at first though, to browse through endless flat footage that youøll never bother grading :)
One of the perks of the Magic Lantern is that it alows you to use 2 profiles: 1 for what you see on the LCD, the other for the actual file. This can be very handy for ppl like me who lack visual imagination :)
Other than that, IS is great, simple accessories like shoulder rigs & LCD-VF Loupes are dirt cheap, ML rocks, convertible non-AF primes are cheap and so on and so forth - happy shooting! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version