December 20, 2014, 09:54:57 AM

Author Topic: Blackmagic Design Cinema Cam finally shipping!  (Read 5074 times)

Normalnorm

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Blackmagic Design Cinema Cam finally shipping!
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 12:54:57 PM »
Arrrgh. I was waiting to read about your first day shooting.

Thanks for the overview though. You mentioned a number of things that I think most of us were unaware of.
The WB and SSD formatting issues seem to be things that may be addressed in future FW upgrades but as I am not an engineer I have no idea.

The sensor size seems to be a point of concern for many but as you noted in an earlier post there are some very good examples of shallow DOF from this camera.
What is of the greatest interest to me is the DR available from the sensor.

I am looking forward to that happy day when yours is truly here.

I am interested in your GoPro experience as you use it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 12:54:57 PM »

HurtinMinorKey

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 01:25:19 PM »
If you are going to use Raw, i don't think the limited WB settings matter that much except for giving you a better reference on your monitor.

Sorry to hear about the f-up by your camera store. I hope these black magic guys get their supply chain issues figured out in a hurry.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 02:08:02 PM »
Bummer, thanks for the time taken to update, and for your candour.

The wee gopros are a hoot.  I'm still on a hero hd 1, but its doing the job for me when i need it.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 02:37:35 PM »
Bummer, thanks for the time taken to update, and for your candour.

The wee gopros are a hoot.  I'm still on a hero hd 1, but its doing the job for me when i need it.

I too have a Hero 1 and was glad I never picked up the 2nd.  Paulie I have to say the Hero 3 is absolutely worth the upgrade.  Being able to preview and change all the settings on your phone (instead of hitting those 2 damn buttons over and over) alone makes it worth the purchase.  The footage will intercut with DSLR footage far better than the original or even the Hero 2.  Definitely worth checking out.  And thanks for the sympathy!

Honestly I wonder if it was a blessing in disguise, that C100 is pretty amazing and even though its far more expensive I'm still considering it.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 02:44:07 PM »

The sensor size seems to be a point of concern for many but as you noted in an earlier post there are some very good examples of shallow DOF from this camera.
What is of the greatest interest to me is the DR available from the sensor.

I am looking forward to that happy day when yours is truly here.

I am interested in your GoPro experience as you use it.

The DOF did look very shallow, especially at F/1.4.  I think the fact that the lens retains it's minimum focusing distance allows you to really turn the background into mush.  I didn't really get a chance to push it to the limit in terms of dynamic range, but from what I saw it's far better than DSLR's (as expected).  13 stops at that price range is just unheard of, I think you'll be pleased with it either way. 

As for the GoPro Hero 3, it's amazing from what I can tell.  Being able to control it from your phone is just awesome, you can change from 2.7Kcine/24fps to 720p/120fps in a few seconds instead of hitting those buttons over and over.  The IQ is noticeably better, low-light is better, image is sharper, and the "Protune" feature is nice (gives you a more washed out image for color-grading and manual white balance control).  I think it's absolutely worth the upgrade from the Hero 1 and even the Hero 2.  I'd feel much better about intercutting footage from it with DSLR footage.

Also, the guys at the shop seemed super pumped about the Sony F5 (which looks amazing of course but is considerably more expensive).  I can't wait to check that thing out, 4K, 2K Raw with high framerates, etc. I think Sony is going to kill it with those things.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 10:12:27 PM by Axilrod »
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 02:44:07 PM »