August 21, 2014, 02:49:29 AM

Author Topic: Canon Cannot Keep Screwing It's Customers Over  (Read 46562 times)

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
Re: Canon Cannot Keep Screwing It's Customers Over
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2012, 08:42:21 AM »
You should be on the other thread "right now i am not happy to be a canon user" and you two can have a pitty party.  Booo hooo hooo hoo !!!!

Still stunned that people complain about spending their money. Damn Canon... they forced me to buy a great camera and now, months later, I don't like the price I paid because I couldn't wait. They screwed me!!!! Whaaaa whaaa... Adults make decisions about where to spend their money... you have no one to blame but yourself if you have buyer’s remorse. If you can't afford the price of entry and it's a financial hardship... you shouldn't be spending money you don’t have.

I could afford what I paid, I even held out about 4 months after release to see if the price would move, it did not, so I bought it.  Then the price starts falling.  I could afford it, I just don't like wasting money that could have been spent on other gear.

Again... buyers remorse. You should have waited until the mark 7 comes out, then you can score a mark 3 for for under 500$ on Ebay... in 2022! What I don't understand is how this is a "new" thing for some here. Like you were totally unaware there will be a price drop... A search of the threads on this forum will show that even before a new version comes out someone is asking "How long until the price drops on model X?"

I bought a 7D in 2009... I'm soooo pissed at the current price!!! Canon is horrible to lower the price that much. I wasted sooo much money. If only I had waited 3 years. The reality is that I bought the camera new and have enjoyed every single moment with it during this time... I was NOT ripped off. I put on my big boy pants, bought the camera and went out and took photos. I knew exactly what I was doing and I did not open a thread complaing about how evil Canon marketing is. 

Take some solace in the fact that after the 21st you won’t have to wallow in the shame of spending more than you think you should have. Have a Happy Mayan New year!!!

You are talking 3 YEARS on the 7d price drop.  I'm talking 3 months and its 20% cheaper, and I waited 3-4 months after release to see if it would fall due to the comments I read. That's quite a bit of difference in such a short time span.  A toons are louder than words and as I stated on won't be buying anything else until at least a year after initial launch.  I'm a hobbyist, so "jobs" mean nothing to me as far as recouping that early adopter surcharge that many of you mention.

You have to look at rival companies also like Nikon.  Somehow, Canon needs to keep up with them or else they lose some chunk of the market.  If Nikon brings down their prices aggressively, look for Canon to bring down theirs also.  That's the nature of business.  It doesn't matter if it's 3 months or 1 month.  All that matters is that their price is at least competitive in the market.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2012, 08:42:21 AM »

Kristofgss

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2012, 08:54:22 AM »
i can´t say the same about me.. i have 3000 euro in my socks for a new FF... but im not buying at the price right now.
That does buy a 5D3 with 200 euro to spare at a reputable dealer right now.  :D

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2012, 09:09:13 AM »
I knew I wanted the 5D MK III right after I read the specs, after the announcement.  I also knew that there would be updates and bug fixes within a few months, I also knew that seasonal (Christmas, black Friday) sales would drive prices down for a short run...

I own an amazing 7D, still worth every penny I paid for it 2.5 years ago, to me anyway.  I knew I wasn't going to pay $3400 for the 5D3 that I wanted so bad.  Put on my big boy pants and decided to wait it out... Did I miss out? not really, most bugs are fixed, my 7D is still an amazing tool in my hands, still made money with my 7D to help pay for my 5D3 and waited till this week to grab one for $2600... I'm happy with what I paid and have no doubt I'll continue to be happy with that, several years from now when it's selling for another $600 less...

Everyone knows the drill.  Just wait it out if it's too much now.  If you don't know the drill, you will learn after you buy the first time as an early adopter.  It was obviously worth it to you when you made the intial purchase, go enjoy your gear and hobby and fahgetaboutit...  8)  Just make a choice not to be an early adopter anymore...
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

emag

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2012, 09:15:13 AM »
I for one wish to heartily thank the OP.  The pros almost HAVE to buy the latest and greatest to remain competitive.  No matter how skilled you are, sometimes you simply need a better tool.  I'm certain Canon's marketing folks price accordingly.  Then there are folks like the OP, who want to rush out and get the latest and greatest for whatever reason and also serve to some extent as beta testers.  I'm sure Canon's marketing folks track these numbers and then toss them in the blender with seasonal sales targets and determine price reductions.  Thanks to the selfless sacrifice of people like the OP, those of us with greater patience can take advantage of these lower prices.  ::)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2012, 09:16:58 AM »
That's why it is always prudent to wait.

Prudent...if your main goal is to get new gear at the lowest possible price, because the cost is a limiting factor.  That's not true for everyone, though.

I'm a hobbyist, so "jobs" mean nothing to me as far as recouping that early adopter surcharge that many of you mention.

I'm a hobbyist, too, which means I don't have to track P&L or claim depreciation on my tax returns...  Since I can afford (and pay cash for) the gear I buy, a price drop after I buy doesn't particularly bother me.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Krob78

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2012, 09:17:57 AM »
One other thing.  I couldn't imagine shooting this last 2.5 years with my old XSi instead of my over priced 7D.  The images and fun I've had shooting my 7D over those last couple of years has been worth every penny I spent and I couldn't care how much they sell for now, it was worth every penny...

Not only that, my 7D paid for itself and paid for my 5D3 in the time I've had it... If my first 7D wasn't still such a fantastic camera I go out and buy another one now at these new low prices just to have one for a back up...

Of course the 7D2 being on the horizon, I suppose I can wait it out... check out the specs anyway!  Then wait a year to purchase... 6 months after announcement and 6 more months after initial release... So it's a possible purchase maybe around spring of 2014... not being an early adopter... but who knows what else they will come out with by then! 

Don't look back! 
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

Krob78

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2012, 09:20:47 AM »
That's why it is always prudent to wait.

Prudent...if your main goal is to get new gear at the lowest possible price, because the cost is a limiting factor.  That's not true for everyone, though.

In that case, Prudence Pays...

I'm a hobbyist, so "jobs" mean nothing to me as far as recouping that early adopter surcharge that many of you mention.

I'm a hobbyist, too, which means I don't have to track P&L or claim depreciation on my tax returns...  Since I can afford (and pay cash for) the gear I buy, a price drop after I buy doesn't particularly bother me.

In that case, Prudence is Perfunctory...
Ken

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2012, 09:20:47 AM »

darkhound

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2012, 09:29:49 AM »
If you can afford all that gear, you can afford to get ripped off :)

Also your analogy is incomplete because you don't compare the release dates of the Canon v. Nikon products.  As you know, the drop-off occurs most drastically after the first few months.  Were the Canon products and Nikon products at the exact same stage in their lifecycles?

Krob78

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2012, 09:36:37 AM »
Also your analogy is incomplete because you don't compare the release dates of the Canon v. Nikon products.  As you know, the drop-off occurs most drastically after the first few months.  Were the Canon products and Nikon products at the exact same stage in their lifecycles?

who cares?
if i have two equal products today .... i don´t care if one was released earlyer.

i care about what i have to pay.

Well that being said, then it would seem to "pay" to care about release dates... Just saying..  ???
Ken

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2012, 09:37:16 AM »
What about all those people who bought a Nikon D600 kit a month ago? It's reduced by 700USD right now! Oh, and you get a "superior" sensor covered in oil for free!
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2012, 09:37:51 AM »
if i have two equal products today .... i don´t care if one was released earlyer.

Ahhh...so, the products are equal, are they?  :-X
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

sparda79

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Tingkap Vistaku
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2012, 09:40:58 AM »
nikons D600 is a a bargain compared to 6D from the start.

500 euro difference...  that is more of a concerne for me then price cuts.

today... 1500 euro for the D600 and 2000 euro for the 6D.

In my country... they are the same price... well actually the 6D is slightly, but negligibly cheaper... both around 1500 when converted to euro..

you don´t live in europe i guess?

Nope. I'm in Malaysia.
I bought my 5D3 early April, and it was cheaper than the D800 at the time here.
5D Mark III
24-105L | 50L | 100L | 70-200L II | 2x III

Krob78

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2012, 09:48:49 AM »

+1
Ken

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2012, 09:48:49 AM »

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2012, 09:53:20 AM »

depends on who you ask.

a lot of reviewers, former canon customers and new customers think the D800 is the better camera for them, at a lower price.

6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

Krob78

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2012, 10:03:21 AM »
They're all great cameras!  Just pick the one or ones you want and get it!  You can have a lot more fun out shooting with whichever camera you buy, than you'll ever have complaining about the prices!  Don't look back!  Go Take Photos!!  ;D
Ken

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2012, 10:03:21 AM »