December 20, 2014, 05:27:25 PM

Author Topic: Canon Cannot Keep Screwing It's Customers Over  (Read 52492 times)

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Cannot Keep Screwing It's Customers Over
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2012, 12:03:41 PM »
...they can screw their customers over, up, down, and sideways.
;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2012, 12:03:41 PM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2012, 12:15:05 PM »
For those who feel Nikon would treat them better, they should make the jump.  Just remember, the grass is often seen as greener on the other side of the fence because it is so well fertilized with BS.

thanks for the insight... i never read that before.. it´s so genuine!!

i came up with some great stuff too: "go out and take photos instead of wasting your time on forums".

isn´t that great...?

or wait... wait...... one more.

it´s not the CAMERA... it´s the PHOTOGRAPHER.. uh..???

oohhh... i can´t stop.... more of my wisdom :

for good images take the lens cap off!!!!

:) :)

Cannon Man

« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2012, 12:31:33 PM »
Who cares about pricing? i don't

the people in this thread maybe.....  ::)

I just care that the product is well made.

well i would buy leica then.. not canon.

Leica M Monochrom is on my shopping list. I own a photography company and i don't make much money
from it yet but i still don't care how much it costs. the more the merrier.

jcns

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2012, 12:43:18 PM »
so you are saying depreciation bothers you.
5d's target consumer is pro's, who'll buy this cameras to make a living.  They are not going to complain about depreciation because they are making money with the equipment.
You can't afford depreciation, you can't afford the product.
Assume you buy a dress shirt for $50 today, you wear it, and try to sell it in 3 months.  How much do you think you'll get for that shirt?!!! $25?  You would not complain about that because you got your money's worth.
Go out and get your money's worth with the gear you bought.

cliffwang

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2012, 01:23:45 PM »
so you are saying depreciation bothers you.
5d's target consumer is pro's, who'll buy this cameras to make a living.  They are not going to complain about depreciation because they are making money with the equipment.
You can't afford depreciation, you can't afford the product.
Assume you buy a dress shirt for $50 today, you wear it, and try to sell it in 3 months.  How much do you think you'll get for that shirt?!!! $25?  You would not complain about that because you got your money's worth.
Go out and get your money's worth with the gear you bought.
True.  However, I think many 5D buyers are not PROs because three of my colleagues own 5D3.
You do see many people complain the price drop here and I believe most of them are not PROs.  If people really make money from their 5D3, they probably won't complain the price drop here.  I am the one pay for the highest price(~3000) for 5D3 in my company but I don't envy that my colleagues.  People need to realize depreciation happens.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

ChilledXpress

« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2012, 01:33:54 PM »
Whaaa whaaa whaaaa... I got screwed. Canon forced me to buy this camera!!!

I vote to change the tittle of this thread to "Canon Cannot Keep Screwing It's Naive Customers Over" that would better describe the OP's concern. I'm a customer and I find it insulting to be pooled with this "group" of customers.

"Adults" that can't take the responsibility for their decisions when to buy or not, can only complain... It always somebody else’s fault! You had all the choices before you bought the camera, you made the decision to buy... how is that Canon fault. Mommy forgot to explain this to you?!?! Cameras are expensive if you can't handle the price of model X there are a million other options.

And let's not even talk about a Leica or a Hasselblad pricing... unfortunately, the posers on Hasselblad Rumors are complaining about their 50k purchase there also. I just spent 49,995$ and Hasselblad lowered the price 8,000$ right after I recieved it.... whahhhaaaa whaaaa. I was screeeeewed !!!

You had a choice... you could shoot with an iPhone or a Rebel and thoroughly enjoy yourself, if taking pictures is what you like to do. If forum wars based on Canon's pricing is your thing, I can see your motive. You went this route because you wanted this or that camera ( for whatever reason)... live with your decision and pretend you’re an adult.

Now I'm heading over to the thread " I Only Shoot in a dark closet and my 5D3 has a horrible light leak..." BTW - I really think the DR of the D800 handles pitch black closet shots sooooo much better I'm jumping ship for Nikon. Because they are cheaper, so much better and they love me soooo much more than Canon, I get a warm fuzzy feeling in my tummy.  ::) 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 02:40:54 PM by ChilledXpress »

agierke

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2012, 01:53:53 PM »
do you complain about the depreciation of your car after you drive it off the dealerships lot? because that is alot worse than what any of the camera companies are doing.

this is not a new trend....its the primary reason i dont buy camera gear within the first year of its release. sry you feel burned, but this is how it goes and its been this way for a while.

chalk it up to a learning experience and show a little patience next time.
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2012, 01:53:53 PM »

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2012, 02:33:28 PM »
do you complain about the depreciation of your car after you drive it off the dealerships lot? because that is alot worse than what any of the camera companies are doing.

this is not a new trend....its the primary reason i dont buy camera gear within the first year of its release. sry you feel burned, but this is how it goes and its been this way for a while.

+1 If you're a pro and bought it close to release, you should have already made enough money to offset that price decrease. It's a small price to pay for being one of the first few with the newest, though not always best technology. The market gets more difficult to compete in for the average pro when everyone else has the same camera. If you're planning to invest a lot of money in a new body for hobby purposes... It's most likely not an investment at all. It's been this way for quite awhile.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 04:38:43 PM by Chosenbydestiny »
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 5D mark III, and 2x6D. Canon 24mm Samyang/Rokinon, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

rlarsen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
I purchased a 5D MK ll last December. I waited for a sale and got it for a good price. I knew the Mark lll would likely be released soon and I was first on the waiting list and received two in March. Because I got a good deal on the Mark ll I was able to sell it without losing much money. I paid full retail for the new MK lll bodies and was eager to put them to work.
I really like the cameras and would not have paid full price if I didn't think they were worth it.

It's not complicated. Follow this website to learn about new products about to be released and look for stories about occasional sales. If your priority is saving money, buy gear that's been on the market for awhile, look for sales, or buy refurbished or used.

Also be aware how technology changes pricing. Remember how expensive a 250 megabyte card was when it first came out.

Save money by being smart. and make money and great pictures by being smart. It's not complicated.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2012, 03:11:13 PM »
Yeah I agree that it was a really crap feeling seeing the 5D3 drop more than $1k than I paid for it 8 months ago (was $376x with tax).  I mean $2999 I can understand but $2499?  That's what the 5D2 was selling for a year ago!

I'm not saying prices shouldn't come down, but I don't think any of Canon's other products have followed a similar pricing pattern, just the 5D3.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 03:20:40 PM by Axilrod »
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2012, 03:26:09 PM »
I bought a 7D in 2009... I'm soooo pissed at the current price!!! Canon is horrible to lower the price that much. I wasted sooo much money. If only I had waited 3 years. The reality is that I bought the camera new and have enjoyed every single moment with it during this time... I was NOT ripped off. I put on my big boy pants, bought the camera and went out and took photos. I knew exactly what I was doing and I did not open a thread complaing about how evil Canon marketing is. 

Take some solace in the fact that after the 21st you won’t have to wallow in the shame of spending more than you think you should have. Have a Happy Mayan New year!!!

That's a terrible example, the 7D was $1699 when it came out and it's STILL $1499 and only now $1399 with xmas rebates.  That's a few hundred bucks over a couple of years, it would be ridiculous to complain about $200 in depreciation over 3 years.  The 5D3 dropped almost $1,000 in 6 months!  Not the same at all.  And you don't have to be such a prick about it.
That all depends on which market you bought in. In the UK, the 7D sold for £1699 in 2009, it is now selling for around £950. That is not far off a 50% loss. Even going by the US market, is is still a significant percentage drop, roughly the equivalent of double the drop in terms of the 5D MkIII. Of course, we have to accept the bizarre exchange rates in teh UK for electronics, compared to the actual exchange rate. Balance that though, with being able to photograph water rails on ice at ISO 1600 while lying in the snow in sub-zero temperatures. I very much doubt I'd have got the shots with my 40D. Likewise, while Iwasn't an early adopter with the 5D MkIII, I bought from Digital Rev just before the price drop, but again, I would have missed shots with the 7D or 5D MkII. Price drops are normal with any electronic goods and it is something you have to consider when buying. It's the same with TVs. On th eflip side, I bought a 300mm f/2.8 L IS a few years ago for £2700, it is now selling secondhand for around £3100.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 03:27:54 PM by Kernuak »
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

Renegade Runner

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2012, 04:05:30 PM »
I am the type of person who knows I am being ripped off when I buy a product on it's launch date.  I hate myself for paying the premium price but I do it anyways.  Some how that goes away once I am home, opening the box and holding the product in my hand.  I feel so excited and happy I don't care I was ripped off anymore.

I am sure there are many like me out there and Canon knows it.  So yes Canon will continue to screw people like me.  Ahhh, so this is what it feels like to be on the receiving end.  ;)
Rebel T1i, EOS 6D, EF 24-105, EFS 10-22, MP-E 65, 100 2.8, EF 100 2.8, 70-300 L, Sigma 150-500

www.pixeltrot.com

bp

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2012, 05:01:19 PM »
What a stupid thread.

Don't buy any new tech.  Ever.  Problem solved.  Welcome to earth
5D3 - 5D2 - 7D - T2i   | 24L II | 35L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 24-105L | 70-200 IS II | Shorty Forty | 50 1.4 | Bower 14 | Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 | 2x III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2012, 05:01:19 PM »

AAPhotog

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2012, 05:46:24 PM »
If I knew the camera would drop almost $1000 since release, I would have waited.
If I knew that I could purchase the camera for the same price that I did(at release) now, and get a free L lens... I would have waited
Point is, I believe that these price drops occured too soon.

Honestly, how many of you purchase items that drop this much of a price in 6 months?
when I purchase an iPhone, its the same price until... the next iphone comes out.

The flat screen TV that I purchased for $1500 when it came out almost a year ago, is till $1200

iPhone 4s camera

AAPhotog

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2012, 05:47:03 PM »

Which car are you talking about?
By the way, many people know cars will depreciate and for the most part you can pretty much KNOW how much in how long.
Did you know that this camera would loose over 25% of it's value in 6 months?
With the car, you can make a decision based on an educated assumption.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 05:48:35 PM by AAPhotog »
iPhone 4s camera

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2012, 05:47:03 PM »