I am amazed by such sophisms questioning the very existence and the meaning of the term "overpriced". In some people the will to argue trascends every boundary set by mere common sense.Sophisms
? I do not think it means what you think it means.
I don't think anyone is trying to deny "the very existence" of the term. "Overpriced" simply doesn't have any meaning divorced from its context. For example:
- I won't buy a 5D3 at $3500, so it's overpriced for me
- I won't buy a D800 at $2000, so it's also overpriced for me
- for a company like Canon, the term overpriced means they're not selling enough of them to meet their financial goals.
So, how would you consider a Ford Focus priced like a Maserati?
I won't buy it at that price so it's overpriced for me
. Yet people do pay ridiculous amounts of money for restored old cars, even though their intrinsic quality is much lower than would be justified by the cost.
In comparison with its two closest relatives - namely the 24-105 and Tamron 24-70 - it is apparent that this lens doesn't offer such superior quality or such unique features to justify such a higher price - thus it is overpriced.
That means it's overpriced for you
. Some people think its qualities do justify the higher cost, therefore it is not overpriced for them
And what about a manual-focus
Zeiss 100mm lens that costs $1800, is that overpriced
by your definition? Why or why not? I can tell you that I won't buy it at that price, so it's overpriced for me
. There are plenty of wealthy people paying what I consider to be ridiculous amounts of money for Leica manual focus cameras; are those cameras overpriced
? I can tell you that they're overpriced for me
This is simple economics:
- "Overpriced" is a relative term, and cannot reasonably be used without the context. You can't reasonably say "X is overpriced," you must say "X is overpriced for..."
- If you will not buy a product at its current price, then it's overpriced for you
- If someone else will buy a product at its current price, then it's not overpriced for them
- If Canon fails to sell enough of these products at their current price, then it's overpriced for them