Gear Talk > Technical Support

5dm3 AFMA Focal results

(1/5) > >>

Basti187:
Hey guys,

just spend a few hours calibrating my 5dm3 as I was really unhappy with the unsharp results of it.

I used Reikan Focal 1.6.0 Plus, the fully AFMA.

The results vary quite a lot though when I change range so I am wondering what to calibrate it at.

I did this for two lenses...my 24-105mm and the 100-400mm.

Results: 24-105mm

24mm

EV 7 5.4m W+1
EV 7 3.3m W+2
EV 7 0.8m W+3

105mm

EV 7.5 7m (14m zoomed)    T-1
EV 7.5 3.9m (7.9m zoomed)T+6
EV 7.5 2.5m                         T+5
EV 7.5 1.6m                         T+7
EV 7.5 0.8m                         T+7

Results: 100-400mm

100mm

EV 7.5 1.9m W+0
EV 7.5 3.1m W+0
EV 7.5 4.7m W+4
EV 7.5 7.0m (13m zoomed) W+2

400mm

EV 8 7.0m  T+4
EV 8 5.7m  T+4
EV 8 4.5m  T+4
EV 8 3.5m  T+7
EV 8 2.5m  T+9

So, I guess the 400mm one to keep at T+4 as I used it for far away wildlife most of times. Considering the other focal lenghts I could use a bit of advice please.

neuroanatomist:
I think you should repeat the testing with more light.  Your EV's are quite low, I'd recommend getting them above EV 10.

JaxPhotographer:
Neuro's suggestion is valid. As far as being concerned with the range, it seems you are operating outside the recommended 25x-50x focal length for the calibration on a number of your distances tested. I recommend that when you retest with higher EV 's you also work inside the recommended test ranges and use those figures initially until you can validate with some real shooting results.

If you need a quick calculator to confirm your target distances at different focal lengths, try the link below for a competitors product:

http://michaeltapesdesign.com/lensalign.html

East Wind Photography:
The only exception to that would be any lens you plan to use for close up work or macro.  You still need to calibrate in the recommended range but ALSO at a range Representative of the type of closeup work you would be doing.  Also make sure you are not using Florescent, CF, or LED lighting.  The flicker messes with the analysis.  Use daylight on a cloudless day or some very strong halogen lighting.

--- Quote from: JaxPhotographer on December 21, 2012, 12:27:04 PM ---Neuro's suggestion is valid. As far as being concerned with the range, it seems you are operating outside the recommended 25x-50x focal length for the calibration on a number of your distances tested. I recommend that when you retest with higher EV 's you also work inside the recommended test ranges and use those figures initially until you can validate with some real shooting results.

If you need a quick calculator to confirm your target distances at different focal lengths, try the link below for a competitors product:

--- End quote ---

sagittariansrock:

--- Quote from: JaxPhotographer on December 21, 2012, 12:27:04 PM ---Neuro's suggestion is valid. As far as being concerned with the range, it seems you are operating outside the recommended 25x-50x focal length for the calibration on a number of your distances tested. I recommend that when you retest with higher EV 's you also work inside the recommended test ranges and use those figures initially until you can validate with some real shooting results.

--- End quote ---

I saw Neuro's excellent tutorial on how to use it, but I wasn't sure if I'd have the time for it.
On the other hand FoCal seems both easy and cheap. However, when that is the case there's also a catch or else why would anyone use LensAlign.
So I'd really appreciate someone knowledgeable to advise on what the pros and cons of the two are for AFMA.
Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version