August 29, 2014, 04:33:08 AM

Author Topic: attaching lens hoods  (Read 3830 times)

nda

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
attaching lens hoods
« on: December 22, 2012, 07:33:36 PM »
1st world problem, well not really a problem. Why does Canon ask us to align there lens hoods with the red dot on the lens and then rotate, when the hood is in the stop position the writing on the hood is facing down. Now I know you can position the hood differently so the writing will be at the top, but Canon prefer it was on the bottom. Why?  ???
canon stuff...

canon rumors FORUM

attaching lens hoods
« on: December 22, 2012, 07:33:36 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: attaching lens hoods
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 07:47:20 PM »
Logic, I'd say.  The hood identifying info and red dot are where they are so that when you're holding the camera by the grip (which is how I hold it, and I suspect that's the norm), and looking down at the hood, the writing and dot are facing you.  The direction of mounting is determined by convention (clockwise tightens).  That means the writing rotates 'down'.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

CharlieB

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 08:24:40 PM »
For the same reason they changed the hood for the 20mm/2.8 to make it fall off easy....

IOW, NO FLIPPIN' CLUE!

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 09:14:24 PM »

As always, it's marketing.

With the identifying markings on the bottom, it wears off when you set the camera down with the hood on -- as mine are doing. Eventually, they wear away and you don't know which hood is which -- so you have to buy a new one!

A reach, I know. Who the hell knows really.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Dukinald

• Rebel T5i
  • aloha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 10:28:23 PM »

As always, it's marketing.

With the identifying markings on the bottom, it wears off when you set the camera down with the hood on -- as mine are doing. Eventually, they wear away and you don't know which hood is which -- so you have to buy a new one!

A reach, I know. Who the hell knows really.

Yay, that is a good point. Don't want those markings to wore off. They make up 90% of the hood price (if it did not come with lens)

Bodies: Canon 6D, 70D, T2i gripped, EOS 5, EOS 100, EOS M
Lenses:EF 24-105 F4L, EF 70-200 F2.8L mkII, EF 100 F2.8L,  EF 50 F1.8, EF-S 18-55mm, EF 28-80 USM, EF-M 22, Rokinon 8mm HD Fisheye, M mount adapter
Other : 540EZ, 320EX, 430EX II, Yongnuo triggers & strobist stuff

dunkers

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 02:55:10 AM »
One less area to tape
5D3 | 60D | 100L IS | 70-200L II IS | 24-105L

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 05:41:16 AM »
Yay, that is a good point. Don't want those markings to wore off. They make up 90% of the hood price (if it did not come with lens)
Don't you believe that. I bought an aftermarket hood twice so far. Now I buy lots of unbranded stuff - remotes, lens caps, everything - and I'm usually very satisfied by the quality, but the mount of a hood apparently is very tricky to get just right. Also, plastic versus felt lining. Canon's hoods are far superior to the eBay stuff and no joke.
5DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200/4IS, 50/1.8II, 85/1.8 and a truckload of gimmicks and bits.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 05:41:16 AM »

glongstaff

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • glongstaff smugmug
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 08:54:28 AM »
Geez if that is only your worry, then dont!...get on with your life and be happy with the photography..
5D MKIII, EF 24-105mm F/4 IS L USM, EF 85mm F/1.8, EF 55-200mm 4.5-5.6 USM,  Sigma DG 150-500 5-6.3 APO HSM, Speedlite 430EXII

EOS 350D, EFS 18-55mm

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 04:44:58 PM »
Don't you believe that. I bought an aftermarket hood twice so far. Now I buy lots of unbranded stuff - remotes, lens caps, everything - and I'm usually very satisfied by the quality, but the mount of a hood apparently is very tricky to get just right. Also, plastic versus felt lining. Canon's hoods are far superior to the eBay stuff and no joke.

true that, Rat.  I remember the lens hood on my Sigma 100-300 f/4 ... without the flocking that Canon uses, the hard and semi-reflective plastic of the lens hood actually would reflect light onto the lens when the sun wasn't even in the frame!  ruined many a nice shot and so I got rid of it entirely for a 70-200 f/2.8 ... so much happier.

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 08:40:26 PM »
The alternate orientations that you can put the hood on when you do not align the spots also generate the same final symetry of the hood on the lens (even when using asymetric hoods like this petal one for the UWA zoom). This is the way I found my lens on the body when I read this post. So apprently I wasn't paying attention to Canon's instructions.  ::)

So just put the hood on anywhich way that it will go smoothly onto the threads.  I personally never cared if the writing was on top or bottom.  :P

« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 08:57:51 PM by Ray2021 »
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 09:34:14 PM »
The alternate orientations that you can put the hood on when you do not align the spots also generate the same final symetry of the hood on the lens (even when using asymetric hoods like this petal one for the UWA zoom). This is the way I found my lens on the body when I read this post. So apprently I wasn't paying attention to Canon's instructions.  ::)

So just put the hood on anywhich way that it will go smoothly onto the threads.  I personally never cared if the writing was on top or bottom.  :P

You  must be one of those anarchists I hear about!!
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 09:40:34 PM »

You  must be one of those anarchists I hear about!!

If canon weren't busy making 20 different versions of the 24-70mm to fleece customers, they'd have put a hit on me for nonconformity like that.   :P
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 09:40:34 PM »