October 23, 2014, 05:42:35 AM

Author Topic: EOS 60D Stock Levels Getting Low?  (Read 17325 times)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 60D Stock Levels Getting Low?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 07:38:33 AM »
According to what I have been told by the local camera store, the 60D was a high volume camera right up until the T4i came out, at which point sales dropped, but it still sold well. That, and the 7D prove that there is an APS-C market above the rebels.

Interesting what they said about the t4i. I would've suspected the opposite - with the T4i release price being fairly close to the lowered 60D price, I would've thought most people would've gone for the 60D.

It would be great to finally see an updated APS-C sensor. No added pixels, just a total refresh so we're not using 4-year old designs when there's been so much improvement in sensitivity, read out speed, DR, etc.

The t4i has one stop higher ISO and the touchscreen, but looses the controls on the top right. Personally, I find those controls way more usefull than having to go to the back display. Also, the t4i and even some of the newer point and shoots are using digic5. I would expect a new high end APS- C body to beat those specs.... Isn't it about time to see a digic6 and jump from 14 bit a/d to 16 bit  :)
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 07:38:33 AM »

CCY020

"Calculation" of the possible 70D release
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 01:49:03 PM »
Hey guys, I'm** one of the persons who send an mail to this site after noticing changes in stock and price regarding the 60D in Western Europe (The Netherlands, Germany and Belgium).

I've tried to calculate a possible release for the "70D" and on the Dutch Wikipedia of the 60D, I've seen a interesting chart. Two facts: The 40D (2007), 50D (2008) and 60D (2010) we're all released by the 3rd quarter of the year. The whole xxD-series has been released between the first and third quarter, never the 4th quarter. And the 60D is now by far out the recordholder of all the Dxx / xxD's if you look at the time between an exsisting and announced xxD:
1. 60D 27 months old (release: 26 august 2010 and still getting older)
2. 50D 24 months old (release: 28 august 2008)
3. 40D 12 months old (release: 20 August 2007)

So add everything together: 60D is at low stock at least in Western Europe (Netherlands, Germany and Belgium) while the (body)price is dropping for 2 months. Even with a "low" price, Canon offers an 50-100 euro cashback on the 60D body/kit. It looks like they're trying to get rid of the last stock. The cashback is untill 29th of january 2013, and combine with the fact that the release will be between january and august or 3rd quarter 2013.

Between now and 6 months, we'll see at least a replacer for the 60D or an official press release...thats a fact.

PS: Here's the Dutch Wikipedia chart (underneath the page) of the xxD releases: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_60D

**: My name is Chris, 20 years old. I live in Amsterdam (Holland) and started with photography since July 2012.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 03:11:05 PM by CCY020 »

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2012, 01:28:55 AM »
I'm starting to see some 7D promos that are pushing the price down now too.
Looks like Canon's starting to clear the channel of current inventory for some new crop-sensor product to be released sometime first half of 2013.
-

CCY020

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2012, 06:23:22 PM »
I'm starting to see some 7D promos that are pushing the price down now too.
Looks like Canon's starting to clear the channel of current inventory for some new crop-sensor product to be released sometime first half of 2013.
-

The funny thing is, last september/october you saw a variety of 60D kit's. Now the store's only sell them at their onlineshop. If you walked into a store 2-3 months ago, you would see 5-6 kits. Yesterday I visited the biggest store again and saw only 3 kits: 60D + 18-55/17-55 or 17-85.

Another example: The most populair and biggest onlineshopping company in The Netherlands only offers the 60D body or with a 18-135. For other kits they send you to other stores and work as an middleman. Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks like sellers don't want to take the risk with high volume ?

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2012, 03:03:03 AM »
In Canada, some of the better package deals I've seen the last week or 2 have been directly from Canon's online store.  They were on the 7D with 60D and Rebel kits also at promotional prices with extra lenses, flashes, tripods, bags, etc.
Looks like early 2013 for announcements.  If not at CES in January, then perhaps late Q1 to Q2.

Canon-F1

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2012, 06:02:47 AM »
i am not much interested in APS-C bodys.

but it will be interesting to see what sensor canon uses.

it would be a nice suprise if we see a new process with the 70D and 7D MK2.
but i think we will see a new manufacturing process later in 2013 (around october).

but one thing seems to be sure.... the current process has reached it´s end of life.
it´s on life support now and we can´t expect great sensor improvements without a new process.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 06:08:23 AM by Canon-F1 »

Videoshooter

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2012, 08:58:17 AM »
The t4i has one stop higher ISO and the touchscreen, but looses the controls on the top right. Personally, I find those controls way more usefull than having to go to the back display. Also, the t4i and even some of the newer point and shoots are using digic5. I would expect a new high end APS- C body to beat those specs.... Isn't it about time to see a digic6 and jump from 14 bit a/d to 16 bit  :)

When you say the t4i has one stop more ISO, do you mean that it is cleaner at the same ISO as the t2i/t3i/60D, hence gives you a 1-stop higher usable ISO, or simply that the maximum ISO is one stop higher than on the other models (along with a corresponding increase in noise).

I suppose at this end of the market a touchscreen would be a big selling point for many. It's what people are used to these days - but us stubborn camera folk refusing to accept change see it as just a gimmick!
5dmkII, 60D, 70-200mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Sigma 150-500mm.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2012, 08:58:17 AM »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2012, 10:38:15 AM »
Since the release of the xxxxD series and closeness in pricing of the xxxD to the xxD; it seemed that one of the 2 adjecent series would get converged. However now, I think (looking at the way Canon has been able to get away with those high prices) that all they will do is make a 7Dii with 21 mp's, 10fps etc and price it at around $2400.

This lets them price a xxD at about 1500 and a Rebel at about 1100. Still space for 4 lines of APS-C if you increase the spread. This is not good for people who want AFMA on a xxD body or for those looking for a great deal... but one way Canon could differentiate their products.

It would be a first interms of a higher number (7D vs 6d) selling at a premium compared to a lower number... but with the 7D series they seem to break rules anyway (First APS-C sensor in xD range etc).

Personally I'd like to have a 7dii at the 1700 range, and the xxD converging with the xxxD.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2012, 11:30:41 AM »
Our local Costco stores each have large pallets full of 60D's.  That often, but not always signals that they are being closed out, and that Costco was able to buy out huge amounts of remaining stock at a good price.  If there were 250 of them at  just 1/2 of the 618 stores, that would be over 77,000 cameras.

saint

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 01:27:16 PM »
Im in a situation where im looking to buy my first dslr but am also unsure as to what to purchase. Iv had my eye on the 60D for quite some time and now the price has dropped considerably. The problem im facing is that this product is over 2 years old and from what iv read a replacement or 60d-7D amalgamation announcement should be coming soon, however i have no idea when we could expect the product to hit store shelves or its release price. I have more than enough money to purchase a 60D now and still have a fair amount left over or purchase its replacement upon release. As most of you know a dslr purchase is a mini investment and i dont want to regret buying a 60D so late on when a new one could be just around the corner, with better features/IQ/sensor etc.

Was just wondering what some of you guys would do or you thoughts on the matter, any advice at all would be very much appreciated!

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2012, 02:07:20 PM »

When you say the t4i has one stop more ISO, do you mean that it is cleaner at the same ISO as the t2i/t3i/60D, hence gives you a 1-stop higher usable ISO, or simply that the maximum ISO is one stop higher than on the other models (along with a corresponding increase in noise).

I suppose at this end of the market a touchscreen would be a big selling point for many. It's what people are used to these days - but us stubborn camera folk refusing to accept change see it as just a gimmick!

Max iso is 1stop higher. I have never done a side by side comparison of the two cameras so I can not comment on the image quality.

The touchscreen is "cool", but given the choice of a touchscreen or a shoulder display, like on the 60D, I'll take the shoulder display every time.
The best camera is the one in your hands

mingocr83

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2012, 02:25:46 AM »
I've used both cameras, and my choice of course of the old mighty 60D. In fact the 60D was my first DSLR, I use it mainly for plane spotting at the airport with a 70-300mm lens. I used the t4i a few days ago, the controls on the right are lost, and the touchscreen will help the novice photographers set the settings quicker. Apart from that, the HDR and higher ISO...the t4i does not offer that much....

Waiting for the 70D/7D ii replacements to chance the body...

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2012, 08:22:29 AM »
From what I have seen from a friend who owns a 650D, his ISO 1600+ shots have more color noise than my old 60D shots at ISO 1600+ shooting at the same venue. Luminance noise is very similar, but the edge seems to go to the 60D for detail. We both normally shoot jpegs with NR off. Basically, it doesn't matter how much max ISO the 650D has, the 60D still looks better at 1600 and 3200. Both cameras are unusable to me at 6400+
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 5D mark III, and 2x6D. Canon 24mm Samyang/Rokinon, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2012, 08:22:29 AM »

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2012, 02:18:10 PM »
Im in a situation where im looking to buy my first dslr but am also unsure as to what to purchase. Iv had my eye on the 60D for quite some time and now the price has dropped considerably. The problem im facing is that this product is over 2 years old and from what iv read a replacement or 60d-7D amalgamation announcement should be coming soon, however i have no idea when we could expect the product to hit store shelves or its release price. I have more than enough money to purchase a 60D now and still have a fair amount left over or purchase its replacement upon release. As most of you know a dslr purchase is a mini investment and i dont want to regret buying a 60D so late on when a new one could be just around the corner, with better features/IQ/sensor etc.

Was just wondering what some of you guys would do or you thoughts on the matter, any advice at all would be very much appreciated!

It's always a tough decision WHEN to jump on the bandwagon. :)
I've had 60Ds since they first came out.  Sold one, kept one.  It's my favorite general purpose body at this time and the first one I grab if I'm off to do some quick documentary shots.  I keep a 15-85mm on it all the time, covers most situations more than adequately for me.  The simplified controls, semi-compact size, good ergonomics, flip screen all are useful.  You can pretty much shoot and control it with one hand if needed.
IQ from the 60D is on par with Canon's best, no worries there. (shares the same weaknesses too)

We're all waiting to see if the rumors of improved Canon sensor technology will show up in the next model, whether that will be a 7D2, 70D or the next consumer Rebel.  Likely not the Rebel tho because the T4i is pretty new yet.

These next models SHOULD be announced within the next 6 months if history has any relevance.

An announcement COULD be made as early as 2nd week in January for the CES gig.  CES is a consumer electronics oriented show so a good venue for consumer or prosumer product announcements.  Hopefully we'll learn something about the new tech by the time CES is over.  Often, in order to garner as much free advertising from the media as possible, they'll issue press releases and announcements a week ahead of the show.

If you can bide your time until after CES, hold on for a few more weeks.
If the money is burning a hole in your pocket then the 60D is a decent camera and will provide you with plenty of good images at a price that's very appealing right now.  It should still have good residual resale value a year from now if you upgrade then.  Judging by Canon's recent pricing on new product its replacement may fall to an appropriate price point by then too.  Any "extra" money you have is always well spent on good glass.  Lenses don't change very often, bodies in this range come and go much more quickly.

saint

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 06:10:34 PM »
Thanks for your input. Iv spent a little bit of time with a 60D, had i bought one a few months ago id be more than happyif i was still shooting with it today, but to purchase one now feels a bit wrong, its just a bit of a weird time for the top of the line canon aps-c market. I also considered a 7D but i still have the same dilema. As you say, CES is a just over a week away so im going to wait and see if announcements are made but from what iv heard even if they are announced next week they may only be available sometime mid 2013. I really hope that wont be the case as iv got quite an itchy 'trigger' finger at the moment (ha) and dont feel i could wait too long, im just hoping an announcement is made next week and they release the product soon after otherwise im still stuck with this predicament.

As far as lenses are concerned i was thinking of getting a 17-85 but my friend has one and he claims the barrel distortion at the wide end is a bit much. The 28-135 was another option but on a crop sensor i fear it wont be wide enough. The 15-85 seems like a good choice, i dont mind spending a little bit more for better glass. There doesnt seem to be much choice for a mid range variable zoom (walkaround lense).

So its one of those 3...or perhaps a third party?? Sigma, tamron? :-\

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 06:10:34 PM »