October 23, 2014, 07:12:16 AM

Author Topic: EOS 60D Stock Levels Getting Low?  (Read 17326 times)

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 60D Stock Levels Getting Low?
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2012, 01:31:09 AM »
Thanks for your input. Iv spent a little bit of time with a 60D, had i bought one a few months ago id be more than happyif i was still shooting with it today, but to purchase one now feels a bit wrong, its just a bit of a weird time for the top of the line canon aps-c market. I also considered a 7D but i still have the same dilema. As you say, CES is a just over a week away so im going to wait and see if announcements are made but from what iv heard even if they are announced next week they may only be available sometime mid 2013. I really hope that wont be the case as iv got quite an itchy 'trigger' finger at the moment (ha) and dont feel i could wait too long, im just hoping an announcement is made next week and they release the product soon after otherwise im still stuck with this predicament.

As far as lenses are concerned i was thinking of getting a 17-85 but my friend has one and he claims the barrel distortion at the wide end is a bit much. The 28-135 was another option but on a crop sensor i fear it wont be wide enough. The 15-85 seems like a good choice, i dont mind spending a little bit more for better glass. There doesnt seem to be much choice for a mid range variable zoom (walkaround lense).

So its one of those 3...or perhaps a third party?? Sigma, tamron? :-\

Sigma's 17-70mm OS seems not bad and being updated shortly too. (I don't personally use this lens so can't say more)
New Sigmas are alleged to be produced with better quality control so hopefully less variability in IQ.
They've sometimes suffered from de-centering issues in previous product that could otherwise be good but hit-and-miss on whether you'd actually get a "good" copy of one.

Canon's EF-S 15-85mm quickly became a favorite of mine on the 60D as a general purpose, walk-around and everything else lens.  It's a bit bothered by CA within a few mm of either end of the zoom range and occasionally has severe corner shading that can't be corrected (combination of filter ring and IS system near limits on some shots) and even some mushy extreme corners at the wide end.  But none of this is enough to make me leave it at home until I can determine whether a competitor's equivalent performs any better.

IMO, I've never liked the 17-85mm for its distortions and the 28-135 is not nearly wide enough, even on FF, for my preference.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2012, 01:31:09 AM »

tortilla

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2013, 06:31:59 AM »
Im in a situation where im looking to buy my first dslr but am also unsure as to what to purchase. Iv had my eye on the 60D for quite some time and now the price has dropped considerably. The problem im facing is that this product is over 2 years old and from what iv read a replacement or 60d-7D amalgamation announcement should be coming soon, however i have no idea when we could expect the product to hit store shelves or its release price. I have more than enough money to purchase a 60D now and still have a fair amount left over or purchase its replacement upon release. As most of you know a dslr purchase is a mini investment and i dont want to regret buying a 60D so late on when a new one could be just around the corner, with better features/IQ/sensor etc.

I doubt that we'll see much higher IQ in next APS-C models in raw (JPG is a different story though). IQ of the last two rebels got rather worse than better. Even if the new sensor will have the rumoured 24 MPix and you would use a high quality lens, it won't improve sharpness at apertures of f/5.6 and slower due to diffraction.

My guess is that the major improvement of 70d will be GPS, Wifi, touchscreen and better JPG-Quality. If you can live without that I'd recommend to get the 60d and invest the rest of your budget in lenses (especially fast lenses and rather EF than EF-S mount, so you can use them still later when you'll upgrade to FF).

iKenndac

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2013, 10:09:56 AM »
I actually took advantage of this blowout and got a 60D for silly money. I live in Sweden, and the going price for a 60D body has been steadily coming down over the past few months to about 7,000kr [$1080 USD/£660 GBP] including the 25% sales tax we have here.

I got my 60D just before Christmas for 6,700kr and was fairly pleased with it. However, I went back to the store I bought it from a week later and they'd lowered the price of the 60D body to 4,990kr and promptly sold out. They still honoured the price and refunded the difference to me.

I'm super happy — I got a 60D for a chunk of change less than a 650D body costs over here, and not much more than a 600D body. It'll certainly tide me over until this time next year when the 70D will start coming down in price!

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2013, 11:16:53 AM »
I'm super happy — I got a 60D for a chunk of change less than a 650D body costs over here, and not much more than a 600D body. It'll certainly tide me over until this time next year when the 70D will start coming down in price!

My bet is that by getting the 60D now, and waiting until the price on a 70D (or a 7D2) has dropped, that you will end up with two camera bodies for close to the price of the camera at release time..... have fun with your new toy!
The best camera is the one in your hands

CCY020

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2013, 11:55:53 AM »
I live in Sweden, and the going price for a 60D body has been steadily coming down over the past few months to about 7,000kr [$1080 USD/£660 GBP] including the 25% sales tax we have here.

I got my 60D just before Christmas for 6,700kr and was fairly pleased with it. However, I went back to the store I bought it from a week later and they'd lowered the price of the 60D body to 4,990kr and promptly sold out. They still honoured the price and refunded the difference to me.

Which store, Elgiganten or MediaMarkt ?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 01:53:41 PM by CCY020 »

saint

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2013, 08:35:34 PM »
Thanks for your input. Iv spent a little bit of time with a 60D, had i bought one a few months ago id be more than happyif i was still shooting with it today, but to purchase one now feels a bit wrong, its just a bit of a weird time for the top of the line canon aps-c market. I also considered a 7D but i still have the same dilema. As you say, CES is a just over a week away so im going to wait and see if announcements are made but from what iv heard even if they are announced next week they may only be available sometime mid 2013. I really hope that wont be the case as iv got quite an itchy 'trigger' finger at the moment (ha) and dont feel i could wait too long, im just hoping an announcement is made next week and they release the product soon after otherwise im still stuck with this predicament.

As far as lenses are concerned i was thinking of getting a 17-85 but my friend has one and he claims the barrel distortion at the wide end is a bit much. The 28-135 was another option but on a crop sensor i fear it wont be wide enough. The 15-85 seems like a good choice, i dont mind spending a little bit more for better glass. There doesnt seem to be much choice for a mid range variable zoom (walkaround lense).

So its one of those 3...or perhaps a third party?? Sigma, tamron? :-\

Sigma's 17-70mm OS seems not bad and being updated shortly too. (I don't personally use this lens so can't say more)
New Sigmas are alleged to be produced with better quality control so hopefully less variability in IQ.
They've sometimes suffered from de-centering issues in previous product that could otherwise be good but hit-and-miss on whether you'd actually get a "good" copy of one.

Canon's EF-S 15-85mm quickly became a favorite of mine on the 60D as a general purpose, walk-around and everything else lens.  It's a bit bothered by CA within a few mm of either end of the zoom range and occasionally has severe corner shading that can't be corrected (combination of filter ring and IS system near limits on some shots) and even some mushy extreme corners at the wide end.  But none of this is enough to make me leave it at home until I can determine whether a competitor's equivalent performs any better.

IMO, I've never liked the 17-85mm for its distortions and the 28-135 is not nearly wide enough, even on FF, for my preference.

After looking around a bit iv decided to stick with canon glass. The choice is now between the 15-85 or the 17-40 L. Theyre both around the same price, just have to decide whether i want the extra range or better IQ, Iv read good things about both but at the moment its a coin flip.

Im in a situation where im looking to buy my first dslr but am also unsure as to what to purchase. Iv had my eye on the 60D for quite some time and now the price has dropped considerably. The problem im facing is that this product is over 2 years old and from what iv read a replacement or 60d-7D amalgamation announcement should be coming soon, however i have no idea when we could expect the product to hit store shelves or its release price. I have more than enough money to purchase a 60D now and still have a fair amount left over or purchase its replacement upon release. As most of you know a dslr purchase is a mini investment and i dont want to regret buying a 60D so late on when a new one could be just around the corner, with better features/IQ/sensor etc.

I doubt that we'll see much higher IQ in next APS-C models in raw (JPG is a different story though). IQ of the last two rebels got rather worse than better. Even if the new sensor will have the rumoured 24 MPix and you would use a high quality lens, it won't improve sharpness at apertures of f/5.6 and slower due to diffraction.

My guess is that the major improvement of 70d will be GPS, Wifi, touchscreen and better JPG-Quality. If you can live without that I'd recommend to get the 60d and invest the rest of your budget in lenses (especially fast lenses and rather EF than EF-S mount, so you can use them still later when you'll upgrade to FF).

GPS, wifi and touchscreen arnt among the features i look for in a camera to be honest so if those really turn out to be the main improvements i may end getting the 60D. IQ/noise, sensor, af, framerate and build quality are some of the key things ill be looking out for. Im kinda hoping they do merge the 60D and 7D together and create a beast of an aps-c camera but hearing mixed things at the moment. CES is a week away now so hopefully shouldnt have too wait long before we'll know and i can finally make a decision.

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2013, 09:39:31 PM »
After looking around a bit iv decided to stick with canon glass. The choice is now between the 15-85 or the 17-40 L. Theyre both around the same price, just have to decide whether i want the extra range or better IQ, Iv read good things about both but at the moment its a coin flip.

I have both, both are good in their own way.
I prefer 15-85, use it WAY more than 17-40 which is occasionally used when I need UWA on a FF body.
(even consider the very good and cost-effective Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 NON stabilized lens.  Stabilized Tamron is a little better in center, worse in corners... and stabilized.  (darn trade-offs) )

don't forget the 15-85mm has IS, making handheld low light shots much more practical than the 17-40 AND it has over 2x the zoom range.
If you have and don't mind using a tripod, and are more persnickety about ultimate IQ on crop sensor, then the 17-40 covers that very nicely for the price too. (darn trade-offs)
FWIW, I think the 15-85 is pretty much as good for IQ as the 17-40 in the overlapping range.
Either one can be had used for a good price these days, too.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2013, 09:39:31 PM »

CCY020

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2013, 01:05:18 PM »
From today on the MediaMarkt and Saturn (the 2 biggest electronicstores in Europe) don't sell the Canon 60D body anymore in The Netherlands, after they dropped the price from 859 to 729,- euro's. Only a few kits left to buy now. I don't think this is because of delivery problems. The port of Rotterdam is (one of the biggest ports worldwide) the frontdoor of all the cargo that comes to Europe.

Update: MediaMarkt and Saturn in Germany also stopped with selling the 60D body. Mediamarkt Switzerland has only the 60D+18-135mm, no body.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:14:52 PM by CCY020 »

saint

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2013, 02:59:41 PM »

I have both, both are good in their own way.
I prefer 15-85, use it WAY more than 17-40 which is occasionally used when I need UWA on a FF body.
(even consider the very good and cost-effective Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 NON stabilized lens.  Stabilized Tamron is a little better in center, worse in corners... and stabilized.  (darn trade-offs) )

don't forget the 15-85mm has IS, making handheld low light shots much more practical than the 17-40 AND it has over 2x the zoom range.
If you have and don't mind using a tripod, and are more persnickety about ultimate IQ on crop sensor, then the 17-40 covers that very nicely for the price too. (darn trade-offs)
FWIW, I think the 15-85 is pretty much as good for IQ as the 17-40 in the overlapping range.
Either one can be had used for a good price these days, too.

Still not 100% sure but am now swaying towards the 15-85, think itd make a better general walkaround lense.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/01/capture-connect-and-share-with-the-latest-canon-products-at-the-2013-consumer-electronics-show/

What is this?! Just a bunch of marketing hype, hopefully this doesnt necessarily mean there arnt any new products. Im fairly confident there will be but why not mention anything, hmm. Surely the time has come for the new aps-c line.

killerBEEcamaro

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2013, 12:26:04 AM »
my wife bought me this camera christmas 2010 for the full price! ouch! this is definitely a great price for a good camera. i don't know why all the hate towards this camera. by far it takes great pictures...not 5d Mark II/III great, but satisfying.
CANON 60D | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM| EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS| EF 50mm f/1.8 II

saint

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2013, 06:25:25 PM »
Well...so much for waiting for ces for an announcement on the 7/70D and possible release date. Looks like we wont see either of these cameras for another 6months at least. Disappointed isnt the word. Just seems crazy these cameras are from 09/10 and are the current top of the line aps-c, what are they playing at?

Oh well.

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2013, 12:29:16 AM »
Well...so much for waiting for ces for an announcement on the 7/70D and possible release date. Looks like we wont see either of these cameras for another 6months at least. Disappointed isnt the word. Just seems crazy these cameras are from 09/10 and are the current top of the line aps-c, what are they playing at?

Oh well.
7D2 / 70D would go against Nikon's unannounced replacements for the D300s and the D7000.
I think it's becoming a waiting game between these pairs of cameras.   Whoever announces first gives the other the opportunity to improve or change their product before making it public.
I was expecting one of them might let the cat out of the bag at CES but there's also CP+ in a few weeks in Japan...  Not that that's any guarantee anyone will blink then either. 8-\

Marine03

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2013, 06:02:19 AM »

Oh well.
7D2 / 70D would go against Nikon's unannounced replacements for the D300s and the D7000.
I think it's becoming a waiting game between these pairs of cameras.   Whoever announces first gives the other the opportunity to improve or change their product before making it public.
I was expecting one of them might let the cat out of the bag at CES but there's also CP+ in a few weeks in Japan...  Not that that's any guarantee anyone will blink then either. 8-\

So what is the logical order of launch?  70D making it top apc for several months then releasing 7D2 or releasing both. 
6D, 450D(collecting dust), Nifty Fifty, 565EX Flash

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2013, 06:02:19 AM »

aj1575

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2013, 07:37:38 AM »
Well, I really hope for a 60D / 7D replacement that is coming soon. I like to replace my 7 year old 350D, but the 60D and the 7D are just to old (with their over 3 year old sensor). The 6D would also be an option, but it is a bit expensive, especially if I also count the new glas I would need.
CP+ at the end of the month would be a good date, then there are always the announcments in late spring, which would be the latest date I will wait for, before going with the 6D, which should be down to about 1600$ by then (comparing it to the Nikon D600 price drop).

It could be that Canon will offer something in between the 60D and the 7D, which would replace both for a while, before bringing the "real" 7D sucessor to the market. That would be fine with me, since I think the 60D is a little bit underspeced; but the 7D is already a bit on the large side.

Let's wait and see; I've been working with my 350D for seven years now, so a few month do not really matter. And even more important, I know that my pictures won't improve much only becauseI have a newer, better, more expensive camera; it's tha photographer who takes the pictures, not the camera....

emag

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2013, 09:17:58 AM »
IMO, the only question is do you want to continue with crop or switch to FF.  Make that decision and you have your answer.  Again, IMO, the next crop camera will be fiendishly more expensive than any of us thinks it should be.......but it will be an excellent successor to the 7D (not to the 60D).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2013, 09:17:58 AM »