September 02, 2014, 08:28:52 AM

Author Topic: Shooting With the EOS 6D in Costa Rica  (Read 13816 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Shooting With the EOS 6D in Costa Rica
« on: December 23, 2012, 12:48:48 PM »
My vacation camera
I decided to force myself to put down the familiar and start using a camera and lens I wouldn’t normally pick up. I am down in Jaco, Costa Rica for a couple of weeks with the EOS 6D and EF 24-70 f/2.8L II. I plan to do a full review of the 6D in the next couple of months, as I may also be bringing it to Vietnam and Laos at the end of January. For now I will do an update every few days with my feelings about the camera.

So far I have found the combination to be quite nice. The EOS 6D does not feel like a “budget” camera at all. It’s a hefty little thing with great image quality and ergonomics. I do wish I had the new EF 24-70 f/4L IS, as I think it will be far better balanced on the camera. Don’t get me wrong, having an EF 24-70 f/2.8L II attached to the camera is not a bad thing.

I am getting used to it not having a joystick to move focus points like on the EOS 5D Mark III and EOS 1D X, the control pad inside the scrollwheel works quite well.

Below is an image of my son playing in the waves. The 6D got soaked with salt water by mistake and seems to have survived the ordeal unscathed.

The image quality is top notch, the color and dynamic range of the new 20mp sensor is quite good. I plan to head out in the evenings and test out the high ISO performance.

EOS 6D & EF 24-70 f/2.8L II - Jaco Beach, Costa Rica

EOS 6D & EF 24-70 f/2.8L II – My son in the waves at Jaco Beach, Costa Rica

EOS 6D Video I have yet to do any testing of the video capabilities of the EOS 6D, as that is not a strength of mine. I may get into it a bit later in the trip.

Canon EOS 6D for $2099 at B&H Photo | Amazon | Norman | Adorama

cr

« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 01:01:14 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Shooting With the EOS 6D in Costa Rica
« on: December 23, 2012, 12:48:48 PM »

sporter42

Re: Shooting With the EOS 6D in Costa Rica
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 02:03:38 PM »
Used my 5D3 in Costa Rica two weeks ago. Mostly paired with 17-40 f/4L. Performed flawlessly. I bought it the week the 6D was announced, and haven't looked back.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shawnporter/collections/72157632264961540/

helpful

• EOS M2
  • Ecclesiastes 3:11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 07:28:21 PM »
Bravo! Your comments are spot on with my own 6D experience, even to the point of videography not being a strength of mine. The heft of the 6D in particular is outstanding. The 6D feels strong, dense, and durable. The D600 I have is not quite terrible, but its construction is much more wimpy compared to the 6D.
5DIII, 5DII, 7D x5, 6D, T2i, T3, 1D X, 10-22mm, 16-35mm II, 18-55mm II, 18-135mm IS x2, 70-200mm f/2.8L II, 24mm f/1.4L II, 50mm f/1.4, 50mm 1/1.8 II x2, 85mm f/1.8 x2, 100mm f/2 x2, 135mm f/2L x2, 200mm f/2.8L II x2, 1.4X III, 2.0X II, 60mm f/2.8 Macro, etc. only had room to list a few Canon items

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 08:52:34 PM »
I look forward to the more detailed review. If you want any tips about Vietnam, feel free to email me. Ive lived and worked there and in the region on and off for close to ten years. Still am. /J

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 11:37:53 PM »
i find it interesting that the only people in this thread who have a 6D both own 5DIII's and tons of other Canon stuff.
It seems like if you are neck deep in the Canon system and want something cheaper to fool around with from time to time than the 6D is a great choice.
To me, it seems like if you want the most for your money, with the best features, then the D600 would be a better choice.
I haven't heard of many normal people(with maybe one aging aps-c body and one or two lenses) choosing the 6D, only pro's and serious enthusiasts who just want a new Canon toy.
Personally, i was disgusted when the specs for the 6D were released and bought a D700. Even now, you can get the D600 with kit lens for less than the 6D body only.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 11:44:38 PM »
i find it interesting that the only people in this thread who have a 6D both own 5DIII's and tons of other Canon stuff.
It seems like if you are neck deep in the Canon system and want something cheaper to fool around with from time to time than the 6D is a great choice.
To me, it seems like if you want the most for your money, with the best features, then the D600 would be a better choice.
I haven't heard of many normal people(with maybe one aging aps-c body and one or two lenses) choosing the 6D, only pro's and serious enthusiasts who just want a new Canon toy.
Personally, i was disgusted when the specs for the 6D were released and bought a D700. Even now, you can get the D600 with kit lens for less than the 6D body only.
Wow those strong words. Hope you enjoy your Nikon. Maybe you should check out a few of the other about the 6D. You will find some that fits the other description there. They also seem very happy with their 6Ds.

mrkinyo

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 12:43:30 AM »
I shoot with the Canon products, a 5D Mark III to be exact.  I also shoot with their professional camcorders.  That being said, I have to say that as a former Nikon user, the Nikon cameras provided a much sharper shot.  Don't get me wrong, I love my Mark III but honestly, it leaves me wanting more.  There are many cameras out there that are arguably better.  The Canon 6D is not one of those cameras.  That's not to suggest that it is a bad camera but, it is not better.  The picture taken in Costa Rica that was posted is not a very good picture in terms of quality.  The composition is good but the quality is typical of what I have seen from non-professional users.  More specifically, the picture lacks sharpness throughout and for whatever reason is not properly focused; however this is probably due to user error and not a deficiency within the camera.  I am guilty to.  The bottom line is that most all of these cameras are really good when used properly and as long is you love your camera, that's all that really matters.  It doesn't need to be justified on way or the other.

Have fun in Costa Rica.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 12:43:30 AM »

hmmm

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 01:39:38 AM »
Thank you for sharing the image.  I don't see how much can be told of the fine focus from a 1024x683 resize to the web, but the child in the lower right looks in focus, as should be the case.   The range of tonality held in the clouds is pretty impressive -- is this an in-cam HDR?  Cute kid, too: but you knew that already.

I'm thinking about getting a 6D ... and yes I'm a Canon APS-c shooter looking to move to full frame.   I liked what I saw in the specs of the D600, but I was put off by the dim viewfinder when I tried it out.   And the oil splatter issue doesn't appeal, either.    I'm sure I could get used to the D600, but I've gone from leaning to switching to pretty much settled on staying with Canon.

Zlatko

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 03:12:36 AM »
I shoot with the Canon products, a 5D Mark III to be exact.  I also shoot with their professional camcorders.  That being said, I have to say that as a former Nikon user, the Nikon cameras provided a much sharper shot.  Don't get me wrong, I love my Mark III but honestly, it leaves me wanting more.  There are many cameras out there that are arguably better.  The Canon 6D is not one of those cameras.  That's not to suggest that it is a bad camera but, it is not better.  The picture taken in Costa Rica that was posted is not a very good picture in terms of quality.  The composition is good but the quality is typical of what I have seen from non-professional users.  More specifically, the picture lacks sharpness throughout and for whatever reason is not properly focused; however this is probably due to user error and not a deficiency within the camera.

This is more properly called viewer error, not user error.  The photo is perfectly focused on the child.  Exif indicates the photo was shot at f/2.8, so the background is understandably out of focus.

joshuajacks324

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 05:09:49 AM »
My family and I currently live in Laos! It's beautiful this time of year and isn't to hot and rainy!

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 05:53:54 AM »
I shoot with the Canon products, a 5D Mark III to be exact.  I also shoot with their professional camcorders.  That being said, I have to say that as a former Nikon user, the Nikon cameras provided a much sharper shot.  Don't get me wrong, I love my Mark III but honestly, it leaves me wanting more.  There are many cameras out there that are arguably better.  The Canon 6D is not one of those cameras.  That's not to suggest that it is a bad camera but, it is not better.  The picture taken in Costa Rica that was posted is not a very good picture in terms of quality.  The composition is good but the quality is typical of what I have seen from non-professional users.  More specifically, the picture lacks sharpness throughout and for whatever reason is not properly focused; however this is probably due to user error and not a deficiency within the camera.

This is more properly called viewer error, not user error.  The photo is perfectly focused on the child.  Exif indicates the photo was shot at f/2.8, so the background is understandably out of focus.

:)  +1.

docsmith

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 07:07:38 AM »
I look forward to the review.  Love Costa Rica.  I am sure you already have plans, but Carrara and Manuel Antonio NPs are great and sunset dinner at Villa Caletas is a must.

Pag

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 11:08:35 AM »
I received my 6D a bit over a week ago and I really enjoy it so far. It's a big improvement over my previous 50D! It's a great camera overall, but I must say I like the features some people here call "gimmicks". The wifi connectivity is brilliant for still life photography: I set the camera on a tripod and then I can concentrate on adjusting my composition and lighting while looking at the result in real time on my phone. No more running every 2 minutes to the back of the camera to see if things are placed properly! The GPS is also nice for landscape work, and I expect it would be great for travel photos. I already had a GPS logger for that purpose, but it's so much more convenient to have directly on the camera.

Coming from a crop camera, high iso pictures are just amazing -- it's just plain awesome to be able to take handheld photos like those without worrying about noise.

Canon 6D Test Shots by pagarneau, on Flickr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 11:08:35 AM »

db_canon

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 07:56:08 PM »
@Pag

Wow, great pictures. Thank you for sharing. The 6D is really a great camera.

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 08:34:44 PM »
My family and I currently live in Laos! It's beautiful this time of year and isn't to hot and rainy!
Hi. I haven't been up there yet. I hope to be able to go to plain of jars within a couple o months. Is there any other place you recommend going? I would like to be able to see parts of the the old Ho Chi Minh trail. I understand Tchepone is good for that. Would you know where else to go?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 08:34:44 PM »