April 17, 2014, 12:04:55 PM

Author Topic: Shooting With the EOS 6D in Costa Rica  (Read 12399 times)

daniemare

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
Re: Shooting With the EOS 6D in Costa Rica
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 10:47:04 PM »
I received my 6D a bit over a week ago and I really enjoy it so far. It's a big improvement over my previous 50D! It's a great camera overall, but I must say I like the features some people here call "gimmicks". The wifi connectivity is brilliant for still life photography: I set the camera on a tripod and then I can concentrate on adjusting my composition and lighting while looking at the result in real time on my phone. No more running every 2 minutes to the back of the camera to see if things are placed properly! The GPS is also nice for landscape work, and I expect it would be great for travel photos. I already had a GPS logger for that purpose, but it's so much more convenient to have directly on the camera.

Coming from a crop camera, high iso pictures are just amazing -- it's just plain awesome to be able to take handheld photos like those without worrying about noise.

Canon 6D Test Shots by pagarneau, on Flickr

Feel the same and I am learning about my new 6D exactly where these shots were taken.  Christmas lights and early darkness, low light testing it is
Canon 6D, Canon 24-105 F4L IS, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100 F2.8L IS macro, Canon 50 F1.4, Canon 28 F1.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 10:47:04 PM »

joshuajacks324

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2012, 12:10:10 AM »
My family and I currently live in Laos! It's beautiful this time of year and isn't to hot and rainy!
Hi. I haven't been up there yet. I hope to be able to go to plain of jars within a couple o months. Is there any other place you recommend going? I would like to be able to see parts of the the old Ho Chi Minh trail. I understand Tchepone is good for that. Would you know where else to go?

We live in Luang Prabang. I've only been to the Plain of Jars once. It's beautiful but I would have to say Luang Prabang has the best variety of things to shoot. Waterfalls, temples, mountains, and so much more.

CoolPix

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2012, 10:18:32 AM »
I find it funny that you say in starting off, a lens I would never pickup when the 70-200 IS II has to be one of the best zoom lenses Canon has ever produced.

Wondering why you would not ever have wanted to pick up such a stellar preformer?

And salt water would instantly void the warranty.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 10:24:22 AM by CoolPix »

wellfedCanuck

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2012, 11:37:38 AM »
I haven't heard of many normal people(with maybe one aging aps-c body and one or two lenses) choosing the 6D, only pro's and serious enthusiasts who just want a new Canon toy.
Depends what you mean by "normal", I guess, but I went from a Rebel XT to the 6D. Oh, and- yeah, not counting the Rebel's kit lens, I only had a 40mm pancake and EF75-300...
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

wellfedCanuck

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2012, 11:39:27 AM »
I received my 6D a bit over a week ago and I really enjoy it so far.
Beautiful shots of YQB, Pag.
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2012, 01:10:44 PM »
i find it interesting that the only people in this thread who have a 6D both own 5DIII's and tons of other Canon stuff.
It seems like if you are neck deep in the Canon system and want something cheaper to fool around with from time to time than the 6D is a great choice.
To me, it seems like if you want the most for your money, with the best features, then the D600 would be a better choice.
I haven't heard of many normal people(with maybe one aging aps-c body and one or two lenses) choosing the 6D, only pro's and serious enthusiasts who just want a new Canon toy.
Personally, i was disgusted when the specs for the 6D were released and bought a D700. Even now, you can get the D600 with kit lens for less than the 6D body only.

"Disgusted"??? You know this is just a camera. No reason to be disgusted. Happy holidays!
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

Pag

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2012, 01:39:52 PM »
Thanks for the kind words :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2012, 01:39:52 PM »

RustyTheGeek

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2012, 02:47:31 PM »
So far I have to say the 6D is a great camera for what/how I shoot.  Anyone dismissing it likely hasn't used it.  It is definitely superior to the 5D3 for low light shooting and the IQ is excellent.  Much better than I expected.  Don't sell the 6D short based on the paper specs.  It's a great camera.

And the pics posted above are great.  They are good examples of what can be expected from the 6D.  And the low light focusing is a lot easier than the 5D3.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2012, 05:04:03 PM »
I find it funny that you say in starting off, a lens I would never pickup when the 70-200 IS II has to be one of the best zoom lenses Canon has ever produced.

Wondering why you would not ever have wanted to pick up such a stellar preformer?

And salt water would instantly void the warranty.

I don't use zooms, so it's outside the comfort zone for me. I don't worry about warranties, I use the gear and sometimes bad things happen. :)
canonrumors.com

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2012, 08:52:27 PM »
My family and I currently live in Laos! It's beautiful this time of year and isn't to hot and rainy!
Hi. I haven't been up there yet. I hope to be able to go to plain of jars within a couple o months. Is there any other place you recommend going? I would like to be able to see parts of the the old Ho Chi Minh trail. I understand Tchepone is good for that. Would you know where else to go?

We live in Luang Prabang. I've only been to the Plain of Jars once. It's beautiful but I would have to say Luang Prabang has the best variety of things to shoot. Waterfalls, temples, mountains, and so much more.
Thanks for the info, yes of course Luang Prabang is a must see. Not sure how I will be able to squeeze it all in in one visit. Plain of Jars is really something I want to see due to the sites, but mostly for its history. Thanks again.

SDsc0rch

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2012, 09:41:45 PM »
@pag.. great shots
 8)

the middle one is my fav!

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2012, 09:45:55 PM »
Depends what you mean by "normal", I guess, but I went from a Rebel XT to the 6D. Oh, and- yeah, not counting the Rebel's kit lens, I only had a 40mm pancake and EF75-300...

I had a 7D and 3 lenses before purchasing a 6D, so I don't quite fit the "normal" criteria...  But, I couldn't be happier with my 6D.  I've used it extensively for low light indoor family pictures over the last few days and the pictures are great.  I would have needed flash with my 7D and I prefer natural light indoor shots.  For the type of shooting I needed it for the 6D is a great choice.  It will be my primary camera now with the 7D used for kids sporting events.

The 6D is a good value for the price considering its got 90% of the features of the 5D3 at 70% of the price.  if you need top of the line AF, 6 frames per second and 2 cards for storage, its worthwhile to spend the extra $$ for the 5D3.  I can live without those features.  The 6D provides what I was looking for at a fair price.

The 6D was never intended to better the 5D3.  It's fills a niche between the 5D3 and 7D in the EOS portfolio.  Those who are trashing it for not meeting or exceeding the 5D3's specs don't seem to understand that.
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF-M 22 2.0, EF-M 18-55mm, Extender EF 2xIII; Speedlites: 600EX-RT(2x), 430EX II

webphoto

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2012, 01:04:54 AM »
I am using the 6D to shoot catalog images for websites and the results are amazing. I was surprised by the IQ and the pro built body of the 6D. It is definitely a winner.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2012, 01:04:54 AM »

EchoLocation

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2012, 02:19:42 AM »
The 6D was never intended to better the 5D3.  It's fills a niche between the 5D3 and 7D in the EOS portfolio.  Those who are trashing it for not meeting or exceeding the 5D3's specs don't seem to understand that.
I fully understand that. But for Canon to leave out the 7D AF or better in a time(2012 not 2009) when nearly every Nikon has a better AF was pretty weak. All the new Nikon updates have at least a 39pt AF while Canon is still offering the same 9pt AF system that was lame when the 5D II came out years ago. For me, it wasn't impressive at all, especially for the launch price.
I'm sure lots of people disagree with me and are happy with the center point AF, but for me, I was over it. I already had a Canon 5D and the only problem was the ISO and the AF.
I waited for the 6D for a while as I have been wanting a lighter FF body for years(I travel a lot,) but when the specs were announced it was way too easy for me to not be interested in the camera, especially for $2100 dollars.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2012, 04:54:52 AM »
I fully understand that. But for Canon to leave out the 7D AF or better in a time(2012 not 2009) when nearly every Nikon has a better AF was pretty weak. All the new Nikon updates have at least a 39pt AF while Canon is still offering the same 9pt AF system that was lame when the 5D II came out years ago. For me, it wasn't impressive at all, especially for the launch price.
I'm sure lots of people disagree with me and are happy with the center point AF, but for me, I was over it. I already had a Canon 5D and the only problem was the ISO and the AF.
I waited for the 6D for a while as I have been wanting a lighter FF body for years(I travel a lot,) but when the specs were announced it was way too easy for me to not be interested in the camera, especially for $2100 dollars.

Then good for you.  If you really need better AF, then by all means go for D600.  However if you are only considering a Canon system such as most of us here, 6D or 5D3 is the way to go.  And don't tell us that "normal" people would go for a D600 instead.  I for one is considering going for 6D or 5D3 depending on my available budget by next year.  I'm a TI1 user and it didn't even crossed my mind to jumping to Nikon.  I guess I love my lenses so much.  Camera bodies come and go.  Sometimes it's Nikon on top and sometimes Canon but lenses will always be there for you to use even after several years.  Well I guess either you're very rich to invest in lenses from one system to another or you just need several lenses.  Well, each to his own...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2012, 04:54:52 AM »